What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Cowboys Post Match Talk

Jono078

Referee
Well after at half time I gave up on the radio only to come on the net now and find out we had won!

And to keep them scorless in the second half is a great feat!

SOO HAPPY!

thuganomics

Coach
NEWCASTLE, NEWCASTLE!!

What a effort. Luke Quigley was excellent when he came on. Buderus when he came on for his 2nd spell insipred us as well. Johns orchestrated every try, great performance.

Buderus 43 tackles, and had around 10 minutes on the sideline. What a effort.

Johns Magic

Referee
I told you to have faith in Perry! Awesome display!

Carmont, Buderus, Smith, Newton, Mullen, Johns, Tanner-all awesome.

Carmont defended like a man possessed-16 tackles, 0 mistackles and a linebreak.

Newton-37 tackles, 13 hitups for 124 metres, 0 mistackles, 0 errors, 3 offloads.

Perry- 14 hitups for 124 metres and 19 tackles with 1 offload in limited time.

princessjen

Juniors
I have to admit, I'd lost all faith by half time. We let in a few weak tries, especially the one where we had 2 on one and neither player picked up the ball.

Nevertheless, I'm very happy we won! :D A lot of our play was pretty woeful but we managed to fight back. Well done to bedsy for 43 tackles, that's enourmous. Mullen was good too.

Alex28

Coach
Wow...what a win. After the debacle that was the first half, a great comeback.

The first half was appalling - just disgraceful. The defence was woeful, the positional play was non-existant, attack was not good. Joey and Danny looked very flat and frustrated after their glory of Wednesday night. The tries scored against us were very basic errors (please note the comments were written in the first half):

1st Try – there must have been 8 or 9 Cowboys players queueing up to score a try – where were the rest of the Knights in defence? Disgraceful positional play – Tighe and Salkeld were both 10 metres in from the sideline!
2nd Try – you have got to be f**king kidding me. Anthony Quinn has shown this year that he is simply not up to first grade football. He was at the ball, he was marking Matt Sing – it was his ball to take. He had absolutely no idea where Sing was. Disgraceful…
3rd Try – “Flopper” Perry at his best. 3 tackles inside their own 20 – Perry gives away a penalty. Big shock. Funnily enough, then they score off that penalty. Where was Thaiday? Josh Perry almost gave away another penalty in holding back the eventual try scorer – great work from the $230,000 man.
4th Try – Tighe and Salkeld too far in – again, giving Bowen and Bowman way too much room to move. Their positional play in the first half was awful (undoing Tighe’s good work in attack).

Now...who on earth was that team that played the second half? Defence was great, attack stuck where everything went wrong in the first half - they kept it pretty simple and cut through gaps.

The forwards were great today - Smith and Wooly had good games in making metres and defending well. Perry had a decent game - still giving away penalties and looking to offload where it is better to go down with the ball, but first game back after 6 weeks all in all not bad. The back rowers were great as well - Clint Newton will soon what BK was to the forwards - a motivator that the other players want to work hard for.

Jarrod Mullen - congratulations mate, you have well and truly arrived. Outstanding game today - looked great in attack and worked in well with Joey. What great work the second try was - his awareness of whats happening in the game is outstanding for a kid with less than 10 games of first grade.

Carmont had a pretty good game today - more like what we saw in him last year. I can't remember seeing him miss a tackle, and the ones he did make he hit hard. Quinn's blunder in the first half was pretty embarrasing but made up for it with the try. Tighe went pretty well in attack but both Tighe and Salkeld were way too far in in defence and Bowen ran amok down there - that was fixed in the second half.

However the game really turned when Quigley and Buderus were both on the field. I have no idea what position Quigley was playing, but having two players able to move out of dummy half like that worked wonders.

Quite a scalp in the end. We are going to be great nuisance value towards the end of the season, and the quest to escape the spoon is still on.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Awesome to be there at the game. I can't tell you what a high I'm on atm. Hopefully this is the start of a run home to avoid the spoon.

antonius

Coach
Buderus was outstanding. When he came back on he was the difference. Great game by Newton once again, Quigs, even Perry went alright, apart from one dropped ball. I thought we were gone for all money at halftime, determination got us there, none showed more of it than Danny. Milton needs to run off Johns more, I reckon he'd score a motza running off him. I thought he was pretty solid apart from the mix up with Quinn when Sing scored. Mullen owns the 5/8th spot.

Alex28

Coach
Johns Magic said:
I told you to have faith in Perry! Awesome display!

Perry- 14 hitups for 124 metres and 19 tackles with 1 offload in limited time.

You forgot about the flop which resulted in a penalty which then ended up in a try. Stuff like that isn't what a $230,000 front rower is about. He made plenty of ground but still makes dumb errors at will.

Johns Magic

Referee
Alex28 said:
You forgot about the flop which resulted in a penalty which then ended up in a try. Stuff like that isn't what a $230,000 front rower is about. He made plenty of ground but still makes dumb errors at will.

He still showed enough to get me excited. He was much better than the likes of Woolnough, who did little again. We actually had an impact forward for once.

Doctor

Bench
I wouldn’t say it was a strong performance. In truth, the Knights looked ordinary in attack and sloppy at times in defence. I lost count of the amount of offloads the Cowboys managed… a statistic that can be addressed by better tackling technique (one man to take the legs, and the other to wrap up the ball). It’s an area that most teams capitalise on, but rarely more than the Cowboys. We can ill-afford to let such a trend continue.

Remarkably, what we lacked in the first half was exactly what the presence of Johns was supposed to compensate for: attacking options and flair. I’ve been saying for a few weeks that the Knights are making the metres to get within striking distance, but are struggling to get over the line. Poor kicks, poor passing and good defence have been enough to ensure we’ve struggled to cross the white line. Johns, in all fairness to him, looked scrappy in the first half. It was only in the second half that we began to see him return to a normal standard.

Ironically, we came back into the game not by capitalising on good metres, but actually as a result of line-breaks that came without warning. Mullen’s two tries came without previous pressure applied on the Cowboys – he did well, taking nothing from him, but these were bounce-of-the-ball type tries… fortunate that they went our way.

I still have serious concerns about the amount of errors and penalties the Knights give away through their more experienced players. Perry and Price have for a long time concerned me. Now we’re finding Tanner, Lowrie and others are also struggling.

Buderus was outstanding, and Mullen showed why he ought to be considered our number one choice at 5/8. Carmont and Tighe were patchy, all the more reason for the Gidley brothers to be our centres combination when and if we get back to full fitness.

It was a scrappy sort of game, but probably the most pleasing thing is that we did all our good work against the odds – in the second half, against the wind, against a top 4 side and without many of our top players. They began to show some heart towards the end there, which is pleasing. Still many areas to work on though.

antonius

Coach
Johns Magic said:
He still showed enough to get me excited. He was much better than the likes of Woolnough, who did little again. We actually had an impact forward for once.
Woolnough 17 tackles, 14 hit ups 111 metres, 2 offloads, no errors. Wooly went alright. Didn't cost us a try with a flop, and didn't drop any ball. Saying that Perry did have one of his better games. Price one hit up for nine metres!!!

Latest posts