What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Dragons Post Match Thread

IanG

Coach
A real disappointment not get the cash in this game but we played much better in the second half. Only going on what I heard on Radio. I haven't seen the game yet I'll be watching the tape back later

thuganomics

Coach
Dissapointing first half. Alot of missed tackles but I was very proud of the boys. Nothing to play for and they still got with in a whisker of the Favourites for the comp. Johns was playing with a cork in this calf muscle and still powered on.

Can't wait till next year.

strewth_mate

Bench
The game reflected our season really... a slow, stumbling start (except of course Simmo's try), then firing in the second half to be considered unlucky to lose. We made the Dragons look pretty good at first but I think we got a moral victory again. Spreading the ball wide was effective, but I was surprised to see so many offloads; I'd say offloads led directly to most of our tries, and it's nice to see a bit of touch football actually paid off.

Not so good to see our defence I must admit; while we were good on our own line, and in scrambling, too many easy metres in the middle third of the field. Attack-wise, In comparison to the Saints', who hit with purpose and ended most tackles facing our tryline on their stomach, we were limited in our go-forward. It was only when we stopped playing their game that we started to move them around and make an impression. Perhaps Joey's injury helped that cause a bit.

Kidley was strong and enthusiastic, involved in everything, Thaiday supported well and was composed under the high ball, Buderus got through another mountain of work including some smart running, Newton showed a bit of class in the second half, but I've got a rap on Carmont, he really added substantially when he came on and didn't seem to make any errors. Tackled well and was genuinely dangerous in attack also with some impressive ball playing.

But Dragons are deserved winners, based on their efforts in the first half and their composure in the second, they didn't panic and start playing stupid football. They were rattled in defence due to our keeping the ball alive and second (third, fourth) phase play but it goes to show what a class pair of forwards like Bailey and Ryles can do to a team.

While I'm disappointed to see us lose, particularly given Wes' try in the final minutes, it's largely circumstantial and I'm proud of the effort shown. Compared to our game against the Rabbitohs, it's a credit to the young players that they were able to regroup and keep their heads up and actually play like a team to finish off the year. The big downside is there's uni tomorrow and no possibility of a Mad Monday...

antonius

Coach
Great effort by the boys, with an ounce of luck we might have got them. I thought Buderus was great, as was Simpson. Thaiday is going to be a stand out for us next season, he is dangerous every time he touches the ball, his game today under the ball was good, and some of his tackles are real bone crunchers, he's gonna be a crowd favourite. Brad Tighe as well, is living up to the promise he showed in premier league, he's strong, always knows where to be, and is finding the line. We are going to have some centre selection problems next year, on form he's first picked at the moment. Woolnough was again strong, and is getting back to his best. Johns was off his game quite a bit today, but just his influence when he's on the field is worth 12 points. No shame in the spoon, we have finished the year as one of the top performers in the last 8 weeks or so, and it looks good for next year.

~bedsy~

First Grade
It was an unfortunate start, however if they didn't let them get to that lead things might have been different.
However it wasn't to be but the boys showed some real guts in the 2nd to nearly get the win. It was a great game to watch, I think the wingers need to do some work in the offseason.
I thought Carmont had a good game too.

Buderus was great, some strong runs, as was Simpson. Thiaday is just getting better under that high ball.
It was really the little mistakes that were the difference.

Did anyone else hear Vossy call Kurt "Kidley"?

strewth_mate

Bench
Did anyone else hear Vossy call Kurt "Kidley"?

Haha! I thought that too... then thought maybe it was just a particularly forced 'G' in Gidley that sounded sharp like a 'K'. Hope it was Kidley...

Then again, I thought I was the only one that used the word Kidley, and that I invented it. Then I saw this forum... bugger. Which one of you coined it then, out of curiosity?

And I agree about the wingers, what's happened to Quinn? He was my favourite last year but has disappeared (not to mention developed an unfortunate mullet). Though I suppose it wasn't really a game for the Knights' wingers.

Ben

Bench
Quinn at one stage of his career was given huge wraps. Even the commentators were saying that this kid was going to play origin in a couple of years. But ever since that arm injury, his form dropped off. One thing i notice now with his running game is that he never uses his left arm fend like he used to. It was once a powerful weapon of his and could consistently break the first tackle with it. Now all he does his hit and spin. Id like to see how far he progresses in the off-season, or otherwise his position in the starting thirteen would be in jeopardy.

Jono078

Referee
Ive said it many times before, dont expect to see the best of many of the younger players this year, because the off season trainer we had trained them so badly to be in shape and how to play RL effectively, the older ones would have known what to do for their bodies and are the main reason why they are best each week. If we get solid training made to play RL. We will see the best of them next season.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Must admit during the first half I thought, the Dragons by how many. We just didn't appear to be interested, and no one could blame them seeing as they really had nothing to play for. But then out of nowhere, the Knights of the last 10 weeks replaced the Knights of the first 13 rounds at halftime and we were not without our chances of taking the game near fulltime. Thaiday keeps getting better, Joey was quiet in the first half, but appeared to come good in the second, Kidley was impressive when Joey was a passenger.

Danny was great out of dummy half and Smithy made some good metres up the middle of the ruck. All in all, they were gallant in defeat and all I ask for (and im sure 99% of others in this forum do too) is just a 100% effort, the result obviously is important, but its not the determining factor. As long as the boys put in 100%, which for mine they just about did today, u can't ask for much more than that. I think I detected some VERY nervous Dragons fans in the crowd today, with about 10 minutes to go. :D

mm the second half was much better play then the first, we sooo could have won that game!! ahh so annoying, i can wait till next year!! boo ya we'll be on fire!!
I thought Thiday was great under the high ball today, he's imprroved HEAPS. Also Joey, Newton, Bedsy, Simmo, they all had a great game. LOL at Voss calling Kurt "Kidley" hahaha

Whats Doing

Bench
This was their real test. Nothing to play for, playing against the premiership favourites and playing away. The boys showed real character and confirmed that they are certainly a top 8 team and will seriously challenge the top 4 next year.

Just hope we get the right off season training for a change and have a relatively injury free season.

Our wingers were again a problem today but that should fixed next year with Carney, Thaiday, Cooper, Seage battling it out. Quinn and Salkeld are just not up to it.

I must give big wraps to Carmont and Thaiday who have improved out of sight in the last 6 weeks.

Spitty

Juniors
Was on the infamous hill at Oki Bliff. Knights came out storng but looked flat at times, obviously struggling for motivation and suffering from a lack of involvement from Joey. Was really impressed with the second half. They shut the Dragons pansie army up for a while. Very even game, if a few more decisions went our way, who knows we could have knocked off the comp. favourites. Disappointing season but I think one we needed to have. I think it toughened us all (player, coach and fans up).

As they have said, if the season had of started from Round 16 Knights would have been third on the ladder so that is something special when you look at it that way!

Salkend was shocking, he really needs some time in PL, hopefully Quinny will join him and we can have Carney and Coops/Carmont or Tighe on the wing.

antonius

Coach
Knight82 said:
Salkend was shocking, he really needs some time in PL, hopefully Quinny will join him and we can have Carney and Coops/Carmont or Tighe on the wing.
Really? I saw him make at least two try saving tackles, and field a couple of high balls that I bet dollars Carmont would've dropped. Tighe isn't a winger, in fact on yesterdays game he'd be the first centre picked.

thuganomics

Coach
Question is who will be the centres for next year? You would assume that Gidley would get in regardless of form, and Joey has a high opinion on Tighe so he would get one...does that mean no Carmont?

antonius

Coach
thuganomics said:
Question is who will be the centres for next year? You would assume that Gidley would get in regardless of form, and Joey has a high opinion on Tighe so he would get one...does that mean no Carmont?
Yes I was going to put up a thread about our centres next year, we do seem to have a few.

Soooo close..missing kick offs..try of johns pass that you wont EVER see again..we gifted them 12-18 points but still we showed some ticker and this year will be a stepping stone..Congrats Boys..best spoon team ever in the tightest comp ever!

Latest posts