What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Raiders Round 3 - Jersey Flegg

Pumba

First Grade
KNIGHTS v RAIDERS
Seiffert Oval, Queanbeyan
Round 3
Saturday 1st April, 2007
JERSEY FLEGG
Coach: Phil Williams
  1. Jacob Jenkinson
  2. Brian Clarke
  3. Callan Richardson
  4. Beau Simpson
  5. Tyren Mundine
  6. Matthew Sharp
  7. Joel Brown
  8. Joel Edwards
  9. Tyne Owen
  10. Warren Schillings
  11. Jacob Ling (C)
  12. Scott Dobbins
  13. Brodie Hardman
INTERCHANGE
  1. Lucas Miller
  2. Hayden Jeans
  3. Matthew Cook
  4. Todd Hurrell
  5. Mathew Cooper
  6. Frank Paranthoiene
  7. Carl Forster
  8. Samuel Stewart
  9. Nicholas Croad
  10. Dean McBain
Source: http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/absolutenm/templates/mediareleases.asp?articleid=1044&zoneid=1

roopy

Referee
It's a cut and paste side with just a few changes on the bench like Coops in and Coxedge out.
I'd start Hurrell at 5/8 because Sharpe is not on the pace IMO.

Sacrolishes

Juniors
Whats Hurrell like mate?? havnt heard much on him? coops is recovering from injury is he? and sam stewart?? he long off getting a start?? apologies on the questions..

roopy

Referee
Sacrolishes said:
Whats Hurrell like mate?? havnt heard much on him? coops is recovering from injury is he? and sam stewart?? he long off getting a start?? apologies on the questions..
i'll answer questions if i can - but just my opinion of course.

Hurrell is a chunky little guy who i think played 5/8 in SG Ball last season - played some lock in the trials, and played hooker off the bench last week. He is a powerful runner who would at least add some grunt to the attack, where Sharp adds nothing as far as i can see except a few dodgy kicks and passes.
coops is back from injury - yes.
Stewart played a bit of Flegg last season. He has a lot of skills, but the guy is tiny. I would still like to see Stewart at half and Brown at 5/8 some time this season.

roopy

Referee
Sam Stewart is the guy to the left of this picture - doesn't really show how small he is, but gives an idea.
fleggtrial020.jpg

strewth_mate

Bench
In your opinion roopy, is Joel Brown likely to remain in the halves throughout his career? Or would he be more useful somewhere else? The Browns seem like the kind of guys that, on a good day, can tear a team to shreds by themselves (Riley starred at halfback last year in PL, if I remember correctly), but I'm not sure I seem them as playmakers per se. Or I could be wrong ;-)

roopy

Referee
strewth_mate said:
In your opinion roopy, is Joel Brown likely to remain in the halves throughout his career? Or would he be more useful somewhere else? The Browns seem like the kind of guys that, on a good day, can tear a team to shreds by themselves (Riley starred at halfback last year in PL, if I remember correctly), but I'm not sure I seem them as playmakers per se. Or I could be wrong ;-)
Joel doesn't have the playmaking skills of a Walsh or a Dureau, but his passing game is looking good already and his running game is very good as befits our top tryscorer from Ball last season as a running 5/8. He is already better than Sharp - so you would have to say he has come a long way for a guy who has played less than half a dozen games at halfback.
He will be 90 + kg when fully grown - bigger than Joey.
He is a fair to good defender.
He has a very accurate and long passing game from his time as a hooker.
As with Riley, he has a very good running game - can beat a man with footwork, fend, and run like hell when in a gap.
His kicking game is average at the moment.
He has more vision than Sharp - but like i said - he is no Walsh or Dureau yet.

I'm probably biased by having seen him as a great 5/8 prospect last year - because when i saw him playing 7 in the trial and couldn't work out who he was i was thinking 'that new kid looks really good' - but as soon as i found out it was Joel i couldn't help thinking he is a 5/8 and not a half.

Anyway - the worst thing this experiment will do is give Brown some new skills - and the best thing would be to turn him into a big and mobile halfback who can take on the line far better than most.

roopy

Referee
Canberra have had good wins in the first two rounds.
This game will be a good pointer to where we are this season I think.

roopy

Referee
Flange said:
Knights went down 32 to 28 after leading in the second half 24 to 16
a fair result - the week off - the fact we never play well in that cold hole - the fact that Canberra have had very good form - all add up to this being a very hard game for the boys, and to come close shows they are a decent side.

Latest posts