What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Roosters Trial Result

gaterooze

Bench
Our boys did great!!!

The Roosters won by 10, final score was 36-26.

buuut, the Roosters team had SEVEN Internationals, while our most experience player, apart from Richo, was Josh Perry. Also some of the guys who had earlier played in Reserve Grade had to back up for this game!

Reserve Grade went well too, narrowly losing 12-4. Jersey Flegg was cancelled due to the heat (apparently well over 40 degrees at the time).

I think Hages would be over the moon with what was on show tonight.

It was a great game, very good crowd. It cooled down later on with a nice sea-breeze -- overall a lovely evening!

Looks like a f**king great result.. No johns no bedsey no kennedy no tahu, gidley odavis wow, i am extremely pleased with that.

gaterooze

Bench
Witt seemed pretty good. He got smashed a couple of times, was very groggy once but stayed on. He looks like a good ball-runner and had some very nice passes, but I'm not so sure about his kicking game.

Kidley was very good, but his goal kicking was a shade off. Two of his conversions bounced off the uprights.

It looked to me like Richardson was standing around with his hands on his hips the whole day. He looked buff, but seemed to be really out of shape, puffing all the time.

Our forwards were strong, especially Matt Kennedy. Must also mention David Seage at the back -- a standout player. Made one crucial mistake which led to a try (dropped a kick-off reception), but apart from that was solid all night, very strong one-on-one defender. Looks like a great acquisition.

Timana's girl

Juniors
good on em!
y didnt the top players play? like joey, tahu, gidley, bedsy???
r they saving themselves for the real games?

Timana's girl said:
good on em!
y didnt the top players play? like joey, tahu, gidley, bedsy???
r they saving themselves for the real games?

They are all injured.. Johns isnt due back until round 8, bedsey comes back in round 4

Kaz

junior
CH

I knew you were joking about Joey.

Some people don't know your weird sense of humour. :(

sexybum

Juniors
hooray!!! this is a good start! lol and there is less then twenty days till the season kicks off!!! HOORAY!!! :D :D :D

antonius

Coach
I think that's a great result, good to hear Seage went well. I didn't go to the game, to bloody hot, I was crook after umpiring my sons cricket match standing out in the middle of a cricket ground for 4 hours in 40 deg heat wasn't much fun. How did Carmont go? any other stand outs for us?

gaterooze

Bench
Carmont is a real goer. First time I've seen him play and he did make an impression. Strong, struggles in tackles like Doogs. He made a couple of bad choices during the game though and was bundled into touch a couple of times. A lot of raw potential, and I'm sure he'll be a first grade player by the end of the year.

I think Salkeld was injured early on and taken off, so I didn't see much of him. As for the forwards, they were all strong and to be honest I couldn't see their numbers real well (or recognize the younger guys) so I can't be sure who was who... Quigley did seem to be more creative than last year. Riley Brown played well in the Reserve Grade match but I didn't notice him much in First Grade -- I think he may have scored a try? The announcer said he scored it and Reegan Tanner converted it, but it seemed more likely it was the other way around?

Oh, one guy did make a big impression and I have to give wraps to -- Michael Ennis. He played his guts out all night at lock. One time, Chris Walker made a break on his own 20 and raced away -- the only person who bothered chasing him was Ennis, with his stubby legs pumping. He was never going to stop the try, but Walker, who was admittedly in first gear, got a big shock when Ennis was right there at the try line to push him over! It was a huge effort from Ennis, chasing just in case Walker screwed up, while no one else could be buggered. That's the kind of thing we've been missing since Billy Peden left.

Also wanted to mention a winger in Reserve Grade -- I think it was Daniel Spiteri (sp?)? If I'm thinking of the right guy, he looks like a Robbie O' clone, and is a real little jack-in-the-box. Have to say, the reserve graders were very impressive as well against a much stronger Roosters lineup. They had bloody Luke Phillips as their fullback! Oh, who is the big long-haired blonde unit in the Roosters Reserve Grade? He was a monster! He also came in for a little while in the First Grade match. Very strong player.

roopy

Referee
gaterooze said:
Carmont is a real goer. First time I've seen him play and he did make an impression. Strong, struggles in tackles like Doogs. He made a couple of bad choices during the game though and was bundled into touch a couple of times. A lot of raw potential, and I'm sure he'll be a first grade player by the end of the year.

I think Salkeld was injured early on and taken off, so I didn't see much of him. As for the forwards, they were all strong and to be honest I couldn't see their numbers real well (or recognize the younger guys) so I can't be sure who was who... Quigley did seem to be more creative than last year. Riley Brown played well in the Reserve Grade match but I didn't notice him much in First Grade -- I think he may have scored a try? The announcer said he scored it and Reegan Tanner converted it, but it seemed more likely it was the other way around?

Oh, one guy did make a big impression and I have to give wraps to -- Michael Ennis. He played his guts out all night at lock. One time, Chris Walker made a break on his own 20 and raced away -- the only person who bothered chasing him was Ennis, with his stubby legs pumping. He was never going to stop the try, but Walker, who was admittedly in first gear, got a big shock when Ennis was right there at the try line to push him over! It was a huge effort from Ennis, chasing just in case Walker screwed up, while no one else could be buggered. That's the kind of thing we've been missing since Billy Peden left.

Also wanted to mention a winger in Reserve Grade -- I think it was Daniel Spiteri (sp?)? If I'm thinking of the right guy, he looks like a Robbie O' clone, and is a real little jack-in-the-box. Have to say, the reserve graders were very impressive as well against a much stronger Roosters lineup. They had bloody Luke Phillips as their fullback! Oh, who is the big long-haired blonde unit in the Roosters Reserve Grade? He was a monster! He also came in for a little while in the First Grade match. Very strong player.

Riley Brown is a tryscorer for sure - he scored heaps in Flegg last year - and his fair share in Premier League as well. One thing i'd like to know is what position he played. He played lock in Flegg and centre in Premier League last year.

Ennis is surprizingly fast - he has little legs - but i saw him score a 60 metre try that was virtually a footrace with a winger last year - and he was pulling away by the tryline.

I've heard reports that Spiteri has put on a huge amount of muscle and trained the house down in the off season. He started as a very small guy and needed to put on the 'condition', but he will be amazing if he gets cut - he was a try scoring freak in the Newcastle comp last year - imagine how he will go if bigger, stronger and faster.

Sportsjock

Juniors
Sounds like a good night for all concerned. It is a bit ridiculous playing in such heat really isn't it? Sometimes that sort of thing can do more harm than good.

I actually question going up to NTH QLD for trials every year? I'd be interested to know our first round form for the last, say 5 years... I know on the occasion we have been beaten by the Northern Eagles in the first round, and I am thinking maybe it has to do with going to NTH QLD humidity and heat on a trip 2 weeks before the season starts. I know we are having hot weather ourselves, but our humidity here while bad compares nothing to that of NTH QLD.

Sportsjock

Juniors
antonius said:
Welcome back SJ.

Good to be around mate. I have actually been a member here for ages but havent posted until today.

Doubt I will be around too much with the sisters now being mods and all :lol: ;-)

Latest posts