What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights V. Sharkies - post match thread

Burwood

Bench
Alex28 said:
Graham West is no better - what about the second Sharks try when he has looked at the play-the-ball, seen that the Sharks player DID NOT touch the ball with his feet yet awarded the try in any case!

The NRL really can't deny a try for incorrect play-the-ball at all now - a precedent has been set.

I have no problem with that. The refs cracked down on it for a few weeks a couple of years ago and then decided to relax the rules a bit. Now they don't care whether the player touches the ball with their foot or not, as long as they "go through the motion". It is one of those rules where if it was strictly policed there would be 30 penalties every game.

Master Vippo

Juniors
There wouldnt be 30 penalties if they enforced it, players would do it properly. Its not a hard thing to do, and it sh!ts me everytime i see it.

Burwood

Bench
vippo19 said:
There wouldnt be 30 penalties if they enforced it, players would do it properly. Its not a hard thing to do, and it sh!ts me everytime i see it.

It sh*ts me when you see a guy make no effort to play it properly and just lift the leg and roll it through, or place the ball on the ground and step over it- Civinocevo is infamous for this.

When they make a genuine attempt to play the ball properly and the only thing wrong is that they fail to make contact between foot and ball I am happy for no penalty to be given. That's wht happened in the play-the-ball in question here.

CycloneSteve

Juniors
Big Tim said:
Good win.

A few ref issues I wanted to raise though.

1. In the first 10 mins Cronulla kick downfield, Quinn carries back, is pushed backward, ref calls "held" and the ball come loose, Vagana's hands are all over it. Outcome: Knock on

Last 10 mins Knights put in a kick, Vagana runs back is pushed back by defence, ref calls "held" and the ball comes loose, one of our backrowers hands are around the ball. Outcome: Penalty

2. Thaiday knock on.... no explanation needed

3. Markers not square. Bedsy was penalised for not being square.
NOTE TO ALL LEAGUE PLAYERS:
If the marker is making plenty of tackles, stand up and before playing the ball step to one side. The marker is no longer square.
What a joke

Last one
4. Inside the last 5mins Bird runs the ball, Joey makes a tackle around the ankles and kinda comes loose, bedsy stands over and puts his hands on him, ref calls "THATS ONE" Bird continues his run, Bedsy appeals, referee calls "PLAY ON" Outcome: WTF????? Leaves me and probably the players confused.

On a good note, wonderful defence by all and a hard fought win that was well deserved. Lets just try and hold onto that ball.

Lets add to that also, Gidley being called in front of the kicker when we would have retained the ball from a line drop out, but not only that, the Sharks are then awarded a penalty for Knights inside the 10, which piggy bakcs them all the way down the other end of the field where they end up scoring to take the lead. Freakin' annoying is what it is!!!

CJKnight

Juniors
What a great game last night was...

The ruling of knock-on against Thiaday when the ball hit his knee was disgraceful. And Hodgson in Origin 3 wasn't?

Tanner and Davico where mean off the bench. Smith looks alot better coming off the bench also. Woolnough has been doing well at starter.

Carney got another try... he is at 15- only 1 away from top tryscorer Manly's Stewart.

At least Mullen's injury is not too serious... Matty Johns said 50/50 to play next week. I would still give him a week off just to rest his diaphram.

Reynoldson had a smashing game... 50 tackles and I think he broke 100m in attack. Solid runner and defender. He has become a real asset of late. Proving his critics (and I'll be first to admit I was one) wrong.

I would put in Brown and Abraham next week if Lowrie and Simpson need a week's rest also. The last thing we want is to use injured players coming into the finals.

antonius

Coach
CWBush said:
Cronulla fans are (somewhat justifiably) angry over Carmont's try being given. I did think it looked a little dubious, but given how they had the run of things in Newcastle - I'll take the square up.
Couldn't agree more, I was stunned when the ry was awarded, but then thought back to our last meeting with the Sharks. According to the news this morning they think everyone will be right next week except Lowrie. Bird had fractured ribs and a punctured lung. Best game by Reynoldson since he came here, hit the line hard, and tackled his arse off. Shame Mullo got injured, he was on fire till he went off. Still a bit to do if we are going to threaten the top teams, but it looks like we're building to it.

Whats Doing

Bench
Chicken_Hunter said:
Uncle fester made 50 tackles tonight in 65 minutes.. Top effort

I agree. Uncle Fester in his last 2 games has been great. 1 try last week, 50 tackles this week, maybe 7 goals next week. I think he deserves a years supply of light bulbs :lol:

Spitty

Juniors
Wasn't happy with the handling but it was a pretty greasy night.

The old saying defence win's games has never been truer. Despite some handling errors placing ourselves under pressure our defence kept us in the game.

With the enthusiasm those players showed at the end of the game on there little victory lap (especially Reynoldson) I hope this is a launching pad toward more committed, hard working performances.

Big Tim

First Grade
CWBush said:
Cronulla fans are (somewhat justifiably) angry over Carmont's try being given. I did think it looked a little dubious, but given how they had the run of things in Newcastle - I'll take the square up.

I understand what you are saying, cos we all complained about the Quinn no try last time but,

When you look at normal speed its a try

Slow motion its a knock on

Frame by frame its a try

I guess the video ref looked at it and decided 2/3 is enough.

In the old days (before video ref) it would have been a try cos Carmont came up with the ball.

perverse

Referee
personally i think all your blue and red shaded glasses are mucking around with your judgement.

we were lucky last night.. perry is the most undisciplined player i think i've ever seen (ok a little exaggeration.. but he has to pull his head in).. the amount of tackles where he strips the ball (or attempts to) in a 2 or even 3 on one situation is embarressing.

carmonts try was dubious at best, and if i were a cronulla fan i would have plenty of arguement against it.. however im happy to take the square up from the match here in newcastle earlier... as i do believe we were hard done by in that game with decisions.

our defense combined with the right amount of johns and buderus at the right times won us the match.. which is promising because strong, committed defense is so important come finals time. it was especially impressive because we were down to a 2 man bench for a decent portion of the match. quite unfortunate to see mullen injured.. and i hope he can make his way back into the side.. we have many more options with him there, and he takes loads of pressure off johns.

i can still see us making a top 4 spot.. the dragons are in quite ordinary form and neither the broncos or the dragons have a bye up their sleeve (we still do)... and if the dragons lose to melbourne, which is totally feasible, then we'll be within 2 points of the top 4.

Serc

First Grade
Well that was pretty good to watch, quite solid overall!

Firstly and most importantly - THE REFEREEING WAS HORRIBLE - if all those disgusting decisions were fixed we would've won by at least 6-10...possibly 15. We also needed at least one more Carmont-like try decision to go our way to make up for the video ref rubbish in the last Sharks game.

Now onto the rest...Reynoldson and Tanner get special mentions. We have gotten stuck into them for ages and Reyno in particular stepped up tonight, which has been well documented by others. Tanner managed a few good runs and some top tackles too! Pity he got that penalty at the end after a good tackle, bit unlucky but probably deserved it. If you're reading this fellas - well done :D Interesting that Tanner did all this when coming off the bench too...maybe something that could work in the future perhaps.

Wooly was great too, I really loved that try...haven't seen that sort of stuff in a while from him!

Defence was the best I've seen in a while, though to be honest I didn't feel anywhere near as scared by the Sharks attack as say, the Cowboys earlier in the year. Gallen was awesome for them.

Team held together quite well seeing that there were injuries left right and centre.

I wonder if this is the beginning of a build towards the finals, if so it's being timed well ;-)

Burwood

Bench
daveserc said:
Interesting that Tanner did all this when coming off the bench too...maybe something that could work in the future perhaps.

Hagan hasn't made any changes to the team, but he has made some changes within the team and it has seemed to have worked to some degree. Woolnough and Smith have switched in recent weeks and Woolnough has produced two solid performances in response. Perry has also stepped up a bit now that he is the pack leader. Reynoldson was close to being out of the team a couple of games in a row (only got a reprieve through injuries to other players), and this has worked as a bit of a wake up call for him- lets hope that his knee is ok and he can build on this form. Finally, Tanner also seemed to find some new form when playing off the bench. He didn't appear to do any extra work, but he looks a better player when running at tired forwards.

A quick question- Daniel Abraham was named as 18th man but wasn't needed in the end, so does that mean that he will slip back into the premier league side? He wasn't named in the team, but as it is being played tonight will he just resume his usual position in the backrow?

Ben

Bench
Team held together quite well seeing that there were injuries left right and centre.
I was really astonished at how well the team defended in the dying stages of the game when players were dropping like flies, excuse the cliche. Lowrie did very well to even lay a hand on the attackers when he had strained his hamstring. And from personal experience, it isn't an easy thing to do.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Absolutely great win by the boys. Still a lot of improvement left, but if we keep on winning ugly up until just before the finals then hit top gear, its all worth it. On the Carmont try, I don't have a problem with it, someone mentioned the Quinn no try earlier in the year against the Sharks, they got that one wrong and the one last night right. We were really lucky at the beginning of the second half where we didn't complete about 5 sets in a row that the Sharks were as bad as we were. If we do that against a top quality side, we'll still get hammered.

On the injury news, Mullo's injury wasn't great, because Kidley is due back next week. Good old Hages doesn't have to make a decision, he just slots his boy back in. Reyno's injury was a concern, because he was having a great game. A few injuries, but we have a 9 day break until next week against the Roosters. If we're serious threats to the premiership, we should win relatively comfortably next week.

roopy

Referee
We had very solid defence - back to the standard of earlier in the year - but only Johns, Buderus and Mullen are holding our attack together.
If we could have got the attacking errors out of the game last night we would have won by 50. They are playing like pre-season trials in attack.

On the one hand that means we have a lot of room to improve - but we have to kick into gear soon - or we won't make the semi's.

knights9

Juniors
Good win by the boys.

Im dissapointed with our ball handling but our defence was good. That hit on Bird was great.

Its good to win again.

jamesgould

Juniors
Alex28 said:
Graham West is no better - what about the second Sharks try when he has looked at the play-the-ball, seen that the Sharks player DID NOT touch the ball with his feet yet awarded the try in any case!

The NRL really can't deny a try for incorrect play-the-ball at all now - a precedent has been set.

Hayne is an idiot though agreed. The first penalty for being inside the ten when he had them back 15 metres at least was a joke.

Haha, there would have been an uproar if that had been disallowed! You can't be serious!?

There are only 5000 of those a game which aren't pulled up, and in any case, he did attempt to touch it and got within a whisker of doing so, this is allowed by referees.

Latest posts