What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights worst buy ever

Spot On

Coach
St George want Hodko to replace Benji.

Brown happy to pay 'some' of his contract. Whispers are he'd wave him goodbye if Saints coughed up 450K a year.

Drags believe he will be good behind their 'dominant' forward pack. Great kicking game and big match experience. They also want a decent goal kicker.

The Drags have also enquired about Ray Thompson.

The article also claimed that Knights fans would be 'stunned' to learn about this revelation. Lol. I'm stunned any NRL club would be interested. I thought he'd end up in England.

I hope they can work it out.

Only a couple more huge money contracts to move in if Hodko goes.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
St George want Hodko to replace Benji.

Brown happy to pay 'some' of his contract. Whispers are he'd wave him goodbye if Saints coughed up 450K a year.

Drags believe he will be good behind their 'dominant' forward pack. Great kicking game and big match experience. They also want a decent goal kicker.

The Drags have also enquired about Ray Thompson.

The article also claimed that Knights fans would be 'stunned' to learn about this revelation. Lol. I'm stunned any NRL club would be interested. I thought he'd end up in England.

I hope they can work it out.

Only a couple more huge money contracts to move in if Hodko goes.

$150k on the books for nothing.

We really do lurch from one c**k up to another don't we.

Gravy

Juniors

Couldn't we just pay him 300k straight up out of this years salary cap from Tariq and Tapine's money plus whatever is left under the cap and then be done with it though? Even if it's split over 2 years it will be better than paying him full contract I'd say...

Spot On

Coach

Yes we do.

However Hodko was not a Brown signing.

I can understand why he would be happy to take the loss on this one.

He is determined to spear every over payed, under performing signing we have and will not be held to ransom by the managers of players looking to cash in on the club.

For that alone I believe in what he is doing. It has to be done.

What will come of it and who he signs later on and how they perform in the team he builds will leave him open to the criticism of the forum.

Last edited:
Dont suppose you could post the text for us plebs without subscriptions?

The Dragons launch secret bid to poach Trent Hodkinson from Newcastle

DAVID RICCIO, EXCLUSIVE, The Daily Telegraph
July 2, 2016 9:30pm

St George Illawarra have identified NSW Origin and Newcastle halfback Trent Hodkinson as a genuine target to replace off-contract star Benji Marshall.

The secret move to lure Hodkinson to Wollongong began four weeks ago when Newcastle officials first learned of the Dragons? interest.

The revelation will stun Knights fans given Hodkinson is just 17 rounds into a three-year deal.

The Sunday Telegraph has spoken to St George Illawarra recruitment staff who have confirmed their interest in Hodkinson.

Newcastle officials have also confirmed they had been contacted about releasing the 27-year-old co-captain at the end of this season.

Hodkinson only joined the Knights this season.

However, any contract offer from the Dragons would be heavily reliant on the Knights paying a large majority of his salary while they also want to ensure the 27-year-old?s knee issues are manageable.

It?s understood that the Knights, given coach Nathan Brown?s overwhelming belief in the future of young halves Jack Cogger and Brock Lamb, would be willing to discuss paying some of Hodkinson?s estimated $600,000 contract.

With their salary cap in disarray, the Knights have already proven with Tariq Sims (Dragons) and Joseph Tapine (Canberra), they are willing to release players who are still on-contract.

The Dragons believe that behind a dominant forward pack, Hodkinson?s strong kicking game and big game experience would prove a major asset.

Hodkinson?s goalkicking is also a major lure.

Despite the Knights? flagging season, Hodkinson has converted an outstanding 88 per cent of goal attempts.

It?s a strike rate second only to North Queensland champion Johnathan Thurston (89 per cent).

In comparison, Dragons goalkicker Gareth Widdop sits well outside the top 10 sharpshooters in the NRL with a strike rate of 63 per cent.

Hodkinson, who piloted NSW to their only series win in 11 years in 2014, has made no secret of his knee troubles throughout his career.

It was after winning the Origin series with the Blues two years ago that the former Manly and Canterbury half underwent a second round of $10,000 stem cell therapy.

Yet despite a horrendous year for the entire Newcastle club, where the easy option would be for a slightly injured player to sit out matches, Hodkinson ? who was originally signed to the Knights by former coach Rick Stone, before he was sacked ? has played in 14 of Newcastle?s 15 matches so far.

Interestingly, the Dragons? interest in Hodkinson has emerged following revelations England coach Wayne Bennett has held talks with the playmaker over the possibility of switching allegiance in time for the end of year Four Nations.

Hodkinson qualifies for England through his father and should that move eventuate, he could ironically partner Dragons captain and UK-born, Widdop.

The Dragons will continue to monitor the form of Hodkinson over the coming weeks before making a decision on whether to advance the talks.

It?s understood the Dragons have also made inquiries about signing Cowboys half Ray Thompson, who in North Queensland is used predominantly as a back-up to Thurston and Michael Morgan.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...a1a243fef59c4c

Haffa

I was always under the impression we could only cover a portion for the first year. Or am I mixing that up with NFL contracts?

Latest posts