What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

JokerEel

Coach
No that was yesterday. Last week he played in the halves, as he has done many times

Hands is 25 this year, so he should provide stronger defence to start the game. Arthur can come on with his superior skill when the game slows down. It's a good move, although our edge defence would be better with Asi at fullback than in the halves. But then 1. Asi 6. Hands isn't as good in attack as 1. Martin 6. Asi. It's all about trade offs. Hopefully we win this time.
Played in the halves and was shit hence he is playing hooker this week like I said he should be.

Glad the club has come around to my thinking.

jason taylor

Bench
lol I hope your under 7s team bought into your philosophy

The priority in reserve grade is player development, not forming mad combos. As soon as one of these merkins is required in first grade (like Hands last week and Talagi the week before) your combination goes out the window Supercoach.

You think Hands and Sanders should be in first grade lol

Forming combinations is part of player development and it's not just about 'forming mad combos' between individuals but more importantly how different positions on the field can interact with one another - which consistency in who is playing where engenders. It's about not only building player skills and their awareness of other players but also learning to follow a gameplan and understand set plays outside of the classic 'pass the ball to the half back/gun player and see what happens.'

Sure there's the philosophy of 'pick your best 17' and slot them in wherever, but there's still a need for consistency so players can learn the ins and outs of a particular positions. That's the entire purpose of having a junior progression system.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Looks like your wrong again... Asi and Sanders playing in the halves again forming combinations helping develop the juniors..
They were in the halves together in the first two rounds, with Talagi at fullback. Yesterday they were back in the halves. It’s no new tactic you just thought of.
Hands is playing 9 this week for Cup just like I said he should.
Sometimes he should and sometimes he shouldn’t. Hands’ utility value allows him to work around other, less versatile players. This week they want to give Martin another run (since Talagi is unavailable to play fullback in reserve grade) so Asi can stay at 6. The biggest question is what Hands does when Arthur comes off the bench. It’s very exciting.
BTW its 2024 no one uses LOL anymore
lmao

Last edited:

JokerEel

Coach
They were in the halves together in the first two rounds, with Talagi at fullback. Yesterday they were back in the halves. It’s no new tactic you just thought of.

Sometimes he should and sometimes he shouldn’t. Hands’ utility value allows him to work around other, less versatile players. This week they want to give Martin another run (since Talagi is unavailable to play fullback in reserve grade) so Asi can stay at 6. There biggest question is what Hands does when Arthur comes off the bench. It’s very exciting.

lmao

Ffs don't use LMAO!

Do you not have a phone from the 21st century with emojis??

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Played in the halves and was shit hence he is playing hooker this week like I said he should be.

Glad the club has come around to my thinking.
Hooker is his best position but he and Arthur can’t both play dummy half. Arthur has previously split the minutes with Meni Luke. Now it looks like he’ll split them with Hands.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Were would hands play if not for hooker ? Asi is clearly babysitting Sanders.
When they first lost Talagi to first grade they moved Asi to fullback and put Hands at 6. Asi and Sanders were still the playmakers, but now Hands was one too, which was a huge step down from Talagi. The upside was Hands in the defensive line instead of Asi. Pros and cons.

Now they’re giving Martin (a winger not a playmaker) a run at fullback with Asi back defending in the line. Hands joins the dummy half rotation since he’s not required for first grade.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Forming combinations is part of player development and it's not just about 'forming mad combos' between individuals but more importantly how different positions on the field can interact with one another - which consistency in who is playing where engenders. It's about not only building player skills and their awareness of other players but also learning to follow a gameplan and understand set plays outside of the classic 'pass the ball to the half back/gun player and see what happens.'

Sure there's the philosophy of 'pick your best 17' and slot them in wherever, but there's still a need for consistency so players can learn the ins and outs of a particular positions. That's the entire purpose of having a junior progression system.
We aren’t talking about junior development though, we are talking about backups in their mid-20s. Asi and Hands have utility value, which allows them to play different positions to fit other merkins into the team.

parra pete

Referee
He and Lumelume were the worst wing paring I have ever seen in all my years watching footy.
What happened to the 2 second grade centres we signed, mentioned in the pre season. I think one came from The Tigpies? Was one named Hill?
Edit:
Jordan Hill
Liam Scolari
Just a little bit of information on Jordan Hill and his rehabilitation from knee surgery. Jordy is from Hay, and a terrific athlete -
Jordan Hill is coming along nicely and expects to be ready for selection by round 10. He missed all of 2023 with a severe leg injury, and has worked hard to get it right.
I asked his mother how he was progressing and she told me
"Killing it. Nathan Cayless has spoken to him and said he’s extremely impressed in his work ethic and determination.
He asked Jord where he was from and when Jord said Hay, Nathan said he played with a bloke from Hay, Nick Edwards…. (Nick played for Roosters and Wests and Parra Marist Bros (with Nathan Cayless)
Of course Jord doesn’t know him (Nicky), but he said my mum will know him, she knows everyone!!
At this point we’re looking at round 10 return. I’d say a few games in Ron Massey to find his feet and then hopefully into reserve grade...

Congratulations to Jordan Hill of Year 11 who broke three long standing Athletic records last Wednesday in Long Jump, 100 metres and 200 metre events. This is all on top of his selection in the Australian Touch Football team to compete at the World Cup and Giants AFL academy squad. Well done Jordan not a bad week at all!
Jordy was the leading tryscorer at the Under 19 World Cup (Touch Football), and was also in the sights of GWS Giants as a player in AFL.
He has anticipation, size, pace and exceptional eye hand co-ordination. A natural.

Jordan Hill.jpg