What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Korbin Sims

giboz71

First Grade
Host is just one of the many juniors in our books we should be developing. Along with Dufty, Herbert, Thompson, Sele, Garrick, Field, Leilua. Add in Aitken and Milne who are youngtsers as well.

This is where I draw some hope for the future. Not all these guys will make it, but even if 3 or 4 do, it's a great result.

I can't remember a better crop of juniors since the early 2000's when Ryles, Bailey, Coops, Gaz, Creagh, Young and Hornby all came into grade at about the same time and all would eventually become internationals.

Old Timer

Coach
Despite what monsterkev says Tariq is yet to find his feet at the Dragons.
Yes one good performance against and underwhelming Sharks but if you are brutally honest the rest of it, a pass mark only.
He does have skills but needs to lift his overall intensity but I am yet to be convinced he can do it week in week out

Korbin's stats are tradesman like, nothing outstanding and another who despite showing early potential has not gone on with it to date.

These are not SOO or Australian test players they are good club footballers.

I can't see any top 4-6 clubs clambering over hot coals to get their signatures and have them as part of their run on teams.

I am just amazed how these types of players are so revered by some in this place.

To suggest Host should be overturned in the starting 17 for either of these blokes is just ridiculous IMO.

Despite his obvious potential Host is a very smart footballer which is not something that you could say about any of the Sims boys.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I would rate Host as one of the best young local players that I have seen play for the Dragons. He is big, strong, quick, defends well, makes few mistakes and like Leilua can score a try. I would put him ahead of Ah Mau, De Belin, Marketo, Matthews and Thompson. Frizell is the only attacking forward that I would rate above him followed by Leilua. We will never get past scoring two tries a game without having fast backrowers like Creagh, Gourlay, Jansen, Reddy and Wynn.

kyussiscoming73

Juniors
Despite what monsterkev says Tariq is yet to find his feet at the Dragons.
Yes one good performance against and underwhelming Sharks but if you are brutally honest the rest of it, a pass mark only.
He does have skills but needs to lift his overall intensity but I am yet to be convinced he can do it week in week out

Korbin's stats are tradesman like, nothing outstanding and another who despite showing early potential has not gone on with it to date.

These are not SOO or Australian test players they are good club footballers.

I can't see any top 4-6 clubs clambering over hot coals to get their signatures and have them as part of their run on teams.

I am just amazed how these types of players are so revered by some in this place.

To suggest Host should be overturned in the starting 17 for either of these blokes is just ridiculous IMO.

Despite his obvious potential Host is a very smart footballer which is not something that you could say about any of the Sims boys.
While the points you make are factual, I feel one point was missing and is why a few of us would like either or both the Sims boys (other than the fact they are local juniors and would bleed for the jersey).
Their experience and take no prisoners mentality. They would bring the boys together and instead of looking like individuals they would have better togetherness. I love that old school mentality of belting the opposition when they attack one of your own.

That's why one team's trash could end up another's treasure.

monsterkev

Juniors
The kid could be a super star in the making Christ we would of won the twenties if he had of went back he is big can hit a hole also stings in defence think you must be watching the wrong guy if not take up chess
We both have an opinion thats great
You reckon he is a super star and i dont think he is or will be anytime soon
But time may prove either of us wrong

monsterkev

Juniors
I recall a young bloke by the name of Brad Mackay who played for the Dragons 1st grade
at , I think , 18 years of age . I am not suggesting that Host is another Brad Mackay , but merely pointing out that Brad was promoted to the top grade , because of his apparent ability . Wow , did he and also the Dragons reap the rewards of that selection .

Unless these younger players have THAT same opportunity , as did Mackay , we will never know just how good a player they actually are . All the more reason for not signing
Korbin Simms , he certainly has the potential to be a decent forward , but hey , let him go to the the end of the queue , as both Host and Leiluia have been waiting patiently for their spot in the top grade , and season 2017 will hopefully be it .
The young blokes are now getting the opportunity, we have to see if they are up to 1st grade week in week out but we still need to look at buying players as after 2017 we have 3/4 of the squad off contract mabe not 3/4 but would be close
So i dont mind if they are looking for players for 2018 as we will get rid of and loose players
And to be honest we should see out 2017 with what we have now

monsterkev

Juniors
Like a deer with no eyes...
If you think host is that good your off ya head
He hardly gets any game time so until he does my opinion will not change
We will see how he goes in 2017 as this should be a big year for him and other youngsters
If he goes ok i will give him accolades
But keep up the old jokes
Haven't heard them for deers

rasaint

Juniors
I'm with OT on this matter. Tariq played solid footy for us last year after he arrived at the Dragons. However, nothing that special. I remember he scored a good try running onto a nice pass but hey he isn't the only forward to do that last year. Harris does it nearly every game for the Storm.

Korbin haven't seen that much or taken notice.

Dragsters

First Grade
I'm with OT on this matter. Tariq played solid footy for us last year after he arrived at the Dragons. However, nothing that special. I remember he scored a good try running onto a nice pass but hey he isn't the only forward to do that last year. Harris does it nearly every game for the Storm.

Korbin haven't seen that much or taken notice.

Agreed re Harris but that's probably got more to do with who passes him the ball.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I'm not sold on Host yet. He doesnt look like a potential superstar to me, compared to say Leilua. Looks more like another Jack Stockwell to me. Time will tell.

Haven't seen much of Korbin Sims either. A quick Google search said he was 20th man for Qld state of origin in 2015, and he tweaked Willie Mason on the genitals. Surely this is exactly the sort of player we need.

rasaint

Juniors
Johnonthat last paragraph so funny still laughing.

Dragsters you may be right that Tariq will score a lot more this year ; because Todd is passing him the ball :grinning:

BennyV

Referee
I'm not sold on Host yet. He doesnt look like a potential superstar to me, compared to say Leilua. Looks more like another Jack Stockwell to me. Time will tell.

Haven't seen much of Korbin Sims either. A quick Google search said he was 20th man for Qld state of origin in 2015, and he tweaked Willie Mason on the genitals. Surely this is exactly the sort of player we need.
Host is an edge player, Stockwell is a prop. However, comparison isnt too far off - both standouts as juniors (Host probably moreso, however) who handled the big smoke quite well when called upon early.

To be fair on Jack, twas a back injury that truly f**ked him, and continues to do so. I maintain that if it wasnt for that, he'd have been a very successful first grade prop.

The Doc

Juniors
For alot of the forwards alot depends on the ball they recieve.
Last year we had Rein... enough said.
Now we have McInnes, i cant comment too much on the kid as i havnt seen him play that much, all i really know is what iv read about him.
By all accounts he sounds like an upgrade on Rein, time will tell.
But if he can provide crisp ball to the forwards, ala Cam Smith, then any of the forwards we have will look like Harris or Bromwich running into holes.
I remember the little short balls Hornby used to feed Creagh, creagh was a beast because of those balls.
After Hornby creagh rarely made a break, played his heart out without doubt, but hornby provided that little bit extra for him.
Same will happen with McInnes, or at least im hoping.
He will provide our beasty forwards with quality ball, and our halves will hopefully provide our young speedy backs with quality ball.
The players are there, the skill level is there, the only missing ingredient is a coach that can put together a game plan to utilise all this skill available.

monsterkev

Juniors

Finally someone else that does not have blinkers on unlike others on this matter
You will probably now cop shit from a couple of members that have a man crush on host

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I would think that we will offload Ah Mau, Marketo and Matthews at the end of 2017. Korbin Sims would be a handy replacement even though Monster Mash does not rate him. I believe that Host will play State of Origin in the next next 3 years.

monsterkev

Juniors
I would think that we will offload Ah Mau, Marketo and Matthews at the end of 2017. Korbin Sims would be a handy replacement even though Monster Mash does not rate him. I believe that Host will play State of Origin in the next next 3 years.
A lot can happen in 3 years
Thats like saying saints will win the comp in the next 20 years
Good form mate

giboz71

First Grade

He doesn't need to be a superstar. He just needs to do his job which as an edge backrower is tackle and run good lines.

Proctor and Harris for the Storm, as well as Cooper and Lowe for the Cows would be nowhere unless they had the best halves in the comp feeding them and putting them into gaps game after game. Host has the potential to be as good as those guys, but the critical thing is we need halves that can feed him.

At the moment we don't. Once we get a decent halves pairing (wishful thinking), watch guys like Host, Thommo, Friz and Sims terrorize defenses.