What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Korbin Sims

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I would think that at the end of 2017 we will need to recruit at least 4 players to
replace Ah Mau, Marketo, Matthews and Lafai and perhaps Widdop. Korbin Sims could replace Matthews as you said Kev. One of the gold Coast Halves could replace Widdop. Ah Mau and Marketo could be replaced internally by Hind and Lewis and Lafai by Herbert. We should also be on the lookout for a
replacement for Nightingale and maybe Dugan which could be Mann/Garrick and Dufty respectively.
The Dragons are piss weak poor at succession planning and we do not want massive gaps left after players leave which has happened since Bennett left.

Old Timer

Coach
monsterkev
No doubt we have some people in our forward roster that have not aimed up or progressed.
That is why some including me are passionate about Host & Leilua as they are deserving of a crack at what others have failed to cement for themselves.

IMO JDB, Thompson, LAM have not been anything more than a pass mark and in fact probably a bit below that.
Then of course there is Marketo, Matthews etc who are just chaff.

If we were to sign Korbin albeit I don't see anything fantastic in his stats and also consider him as another player with potential who has failed to grasp his opportunities, but anyway if we signed him I do not believe that either Host or Leilua should make way for him.

Host and Leilua have just been resigned, have shown potential, need to be blooded in 1st grade to see if they are keepers beyond their existing contracts and IMO if they do grasp their chances they will be better than most of what we have.

The senior players who have not realised their potential or are treading water should be shoved aside to make way for Korbin if he did come.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Well said Old Timer. The days are gone where players players should not be scrutinised closely. Our juniors should receive equal rights in regard to objective assessment. How could Mary select Ah Mau, Lui, Marketo or Matthews above Wakeman in 2016 or 2017.
Players should be selected based on impact and contribution to the overall team performance.

monsterkev

Juniors
All good there champ but perhaps its you that needs to suck it up as you have not backed your opinion with facts. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and you are as well. I just find it amusing that you resort to sarcasm when asked. Or is it too much of a challenge? Not attacking anyone. Just curious how you formed your opinion.
Its not sarcasm buddy its putting up with replies of please explain that annoy the shit out of me
You can only comment on whats put in front of you what i saw of him last season does not give me the desire to praise him maybe other people saw it differently
Marketo,widdop,mathews,glymin and others did not impress me either but do i have to write a novel about it
Other people have stated similar comments so send them the same crap and see what response you get
It is an opinion like you said i was not stating a fact
Not one comment from other posters have facts attached as to why they think he is so good
It is all peoples individual opinions
And thats where it ends

monsterkev

Juniors
All good there champ but perhaps its you that needs to suck it up as you have not backed your opinion with facts. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and you are as well. I just find it amusing that you resort to sarcasm when asked. Or is it too much of a challenge? Not attacking anyone. Just curious how you formed your opinion.
I have decided to give you and others some facts
Jacob host played 8 games in 1st grade he averaged 21 tackles per game
He averaged 8 hitups at 8m per hitup
1 try
Line breaks 1
39 minutes per game

Tariq simms played 8 games for saints
Averaged 29 tackles per game
He averaged 12 hitups per game at 12m per hitup
2 tries
Line breaks 1
42 munutes per game

Jack debelin played 21 games averaged 44 tackles per game
He averaged 14 hitups per game at 8m per hitup
Tries 1
Line breaks 0
68 minutes per game

Jake marketo played 18 games and averaged 16 tackes per game
He averaged 6 hitups per game at 8m per hitup
Tries 2
Line breaks 3
31 minutes per game

Will mathews played 20 games
He averaged 21 tackles per game
1 try
1 line break
41 minutes per game

Joel thompson played 20 games
He averaged 30 tackles per game
He averaged 10 hitups per game at 9m per hitup
3 tries
4 line breaks
73 minutes per game
I have listed these players only as they are the ones being talked about most on this forum
As you can see he is no standout
He is same size as simms,mathews and debellin and marketo is 10kg lighter
I know he only played 8 games and all
Even mathews and marketo are on par according to the statistics
If he gets an average of 50 minutes per game in 2017 and averages remain the same then he is just an average player
I would expect him to improve a hell of a lot in 2017 now he has some 1st grade experience and if he does not punt him as we have to many average players
I see he is off contract end of 2017 so he has to improve to get an upgraded contract

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Typical of the forum
Talk up somebody as a must have player, yet he has done SFA career to date, is not a head liner, nor a big body nor an impact player.
Just another club footballer who will supposedly change our fortune.
As people know I am no real fan of JDB but the talk of him being a good swap for Korbin is ridiculous as they are pretty much on a par.
The talk in this forum is that the Vaughan signing has irked JDB so he wants to test the market and would be happy to go to the Knights, yet supposedly Korbin is being released by the Knights due to cap pressure so how can that scenario be correct?
If Masoe is no chance of playing get rid of him and get another "big body" because that's what everyone believed was necessary.
Agree OT.

This forum has the same virus as management.

People want to chase every single player and then make them the messiah who will fix all our woes. Fringe players who are not making a dent at their own club won't fix us.

The number of players linked to our club is embarrassing and shows we are a rabble and it stinks of desperation.

The club needs to close ranks and use juniors and only chase top quality that complement and assist development of our youth.

Even if we lose we at least will still have our dignity and pride.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Thank Kev for the statistics. To me Host looks the goods. If hos statistics are reasonable now hopefully they will improve in 2017 when he gets more game time. As you are aware Host has gone up two grades and you are
comparing him with guys that are 6-8 years older and much more
experienced and fitter.
Have a good New Year my friend and keep up the caustic comments and fact file.

BrissyRedV

Bench
1 try
Line breaks 1
39 minutes per game
Just quickly, do you have a reference for these stats and did you include his first game which from memory, he was only brought in at the very end of the game and played minimal time?

Dragsters

First Grade
Hilarious mate
Cant you use your words and write something constructive
If you use google you will find better jokes but keep up the good work

Hmmm, not only can I "use words and write something constructive" when the conversation warrants it, I also have grasped the concept of punctuation.

Perhaps you might do everyone a favour and Google that!

Mr Red

First Grade
I have decided to give you and others some facts
1 try
Line breaks 1
39 minutes per game

Tariq simms played 8 games for saints
Averaged 29 tackles per game
He averaged 12 hitups per game at 12m per hitup
2 tries
Line breaks 1
42 munutes per game

Jack debelin played 21 games averaged 44 tackles per game
He averaged 14 hitups per game at 8m per hitup
Tries 1
Line breaks 0
68 minutes per game

Jake marketo played 18 games and averaged 16 tackes per game
Tries 2
Line breaks 3
31 minutes per game

Will mathews played 20 games
He averaged 21 tackles per game
1 try
1 line break
41 minutes per game

Joel thompson played 20 games
He averaged 30 tackles per game
He averaged 10 hitups per game at 9m per hitup
3 tries
4 line breaks
73 minutes per game
I have listed these players only as they are the ones being talked about most on this forum
As you can see he is no standout
He is same size as simms,mathews and debellin and marketo is 10kg lighter
I know he only played 8 games and all
Even mathews and marketo are on par according to the statistics
If he gets an average of 50 minutes per game in 2017 and averages remain the same then he is just an average player
I would expect him to improve a hell of a lot in 2017 now he has some 1st grade experience and if he does not punt him as we have to many average players
I see he is off contract end of 2017 so he has to improve to get an upgraded contract

You left out the two most important stats....
1. Age of each player
2. Total number of first grade career matches

When you add these stats and see that Host is already on par with players much older and more experienced, his stats are actually a lot more impressive....
There are a good 4 or 5 forwards in the squad we could move on before you would consider Host leaving..

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Agree OT.

This forum has the same virus as management.

People want to chase every single player and then make them the messiah who will fix all our woes. Fringe players who are not making a dent at their own club won't fix us.

The number of players linked to our club is embarrassing and shows we are a rabble and it stinks of desperation.

The club needs to close ranks and use juniors and only chase top quality that complement and assist development of our youth.

Even if we lose we at least will still have our dignity and pride.

Have to agree with this.
It's become the norm for us (Dragons supporters) to want to sign every "name" player that looks like, suggests or even smelks like they are shopping around for a new club, or are being shopped around.
He "WAS" this and he "WAS" that player, ah! The dreams of yesterday prevail. And, as someone already mentioned, announce them as the messiah to solve our problems and propel us miraculously to a GF win!

The club had laid its cards on the table IMO withthe signing of most of our "potentially" promising juniors.
Our 2018 and beyond is right there.

Gareth67

First Grade
Hmmm, not only can I "use words and write something constructive" when the conversation warrants it, I also have grasped the concept of punctuation.

Perhaps you might do everyone a favour and Google that!

Dragsters , I wholeheartedly agree , the lack of ' punctuation ' shown by some on this forum leaves a lot to be desired , does it not ?
Hell , even my hogs ' punctuate ' when passing wind ! :p

Last edited:

monsterkev

Juniors
1. Age of each player

When you add these stats and see that Host is already on par with players much older and more experienced, his stats are actually a lot more impressive....
There are a good 4 or 5 forwards in the squad we could move on before you would consider Host leaving..
sorry mate i left out the age and amount of 1st grade games but everyone reckons marketo and mathews are crap so he is on par with them at the moment and people are now saying get rid of thompson so host is no better
as i said if host does not improve in 2017 he will be average as well
cannot just rely on juniors
but this is my opinion and i am sick of talking about it

monsterkev

Juniors
Just quickly, do you have a reference for these stats and did you include his first game which from memory, he was only brought in at the very end of the game and played minimal time?
yes i have a reference for these stats and i did take into account all minutes played as i think he was listed in the team sheet in 2 games but did not actually play or was not picked in final squad so these are not included
all stats were rounded down for every player so if it was 9.3m per hitup it was rounded down for all players

giboz71

First Grade
1. Age of each player

Yes exactly. Host turned 20 in September FFS! That's the key point his supporters are making.

So when you hold your own in FG, make the NSW Cup team of the year and lead your team (the Cutters) to a comp as a 19-20 year old, that's pretty impressive.

Forwards don't hit their peak till their mid 20's, Host is well ahead of schedule when it comes to development.

monsterkev

Juniors
yes i have a reference for these stats and i did take into account all minutes played as i think he was listed in the team sheet in 2 games but did not actually play or was not picked in final squad so these are not included
all stats were rounded down for every player so if it was 9.3m per hitup it was rounded down for all players
Yes exactly. Host turned 20 in September FFS! That's the key point his supporters are making.

So when you hold your own in FG, make the NSW Cup team of the year and lead your team (the Cutters) to a comp as a 19-20 year old, that's pretty impressive.

Forwards don't hit their peak till their mid 20's, Host is well ahead of schedule when it comes to development.
Yes see how he goes then make a judgement
All im saying is he has not impressed me to date
But there are other players in the team that also need to pull their finger out
I hope he does come good as i said before
So me saying this has upset some people then so be it