What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt mann

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I was quite impressed with him in last nights game against the Sharks....positions himself well takes the line on and was solid in defence...we could do a lot worse...good signing imo

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
We need some size and power on that right edge, so I'd be putting Dugan their with Mann at fullback. Dugan can utilise his power running game, while one would think Mann can at least pass the ball if he is currently playing 5/8. Will take enormous pressure off Marsh/Widd.

1. Mann
2. Flo
3. Dugan
4. Aitken
5. Matatuia

RedVEddie

Juniors
Rubbish!

1. JDB
2. Flo
3. Farrell
4. Green
5. Some bum off the street

You know it makes sense :sarcasm:

What a stupid suggestion...how can you exclude George Rose from the back 5? All we need is to get a bucket of KFC at each end of the field :sarcasm: :lol:

1. JDB
2. Green
3. Marketo
4. Farrell
5. George Rose

giboz71

First Grade
We need some size and power on that right edge, so I'd be putting Dugan their with Mann at fullback. Dugan can utilise his power running game, while one would think Mann can at least pass the ball if he is currently playing 5/8. Will take enormous pressure off Marsh/Widd.

1. Mann
2. Flo
3. Dugan
4. Aitken
5. Matatuia

Not a bad looking backline, although a lot of people around here will want to persist with Dugan at fullback.

To be honest, if Dugan doesn't develop his passing game in the offseason, he needs to move to centre with with either Widdop or Mann moving to fullback. The modern game dictates that the fullback be a distributor much like halves and we're probably the only side that doesn't have that option. The amount of times I've seen other fullbacks send a flying winger over in the corner is too numerous to count.

Dugan just doesn't have that in his game. Thus we're last in attack... Unless he learns this, Mary needs to try something else.

BennyV

Referee
I wish there was someone, or some group of people, whos job it was to look after things like teaching (coaching, if you will) players skills such as awareness and ability to pass to unmarked players. This group of people could utilise the week in between games to hold sessions where they could assist with group skills building as well as individual 'coaching' to help someone like Dugan develop that ability. Hell, they could even utilise these sessions to 'train' solid attacking structures into the team...

...crazy, I know...

giboz71

First Grade
During the Bennett years, we only had 1 go to attacking play. That sweep play, Hornby to Boyd to Cooper to Morris.

It was almost comical how many tries Morris scored off that play, I remember all the betting agencies going bananas as Morris was first try scorer in practically every game.

Sides knew this play was coming, but was powerless to stop it. That's because we executed the play perfectly EVERY time. That's the beauty of Bennett coached sides - they are exceptionally well drilled. Bellamy, Maguire and Robinson coached teams are similar.

That level of precision has been sadly missing since he left. Price was tactically bankrupt, and I haven't seen too much from Mary either to be honest. Our attacking stats from 2012 - 2015 is just sad, pure and simple.

If we're gonna persist with Mary, we need assistants that can bring back that attacking precision, otherwise, we'll be struggling to make the semis every year.

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
During the Bennett years, we only had 1 go to attacking play. That sweep play, Hornby to Boyd to Cooper to Morris.

It was almost comical how many tries Morris scored off that play, I remember all the betting agencies going bananas as Morris was first try scorer in practically every game.

Sides knew this play was coming, but was powerless to stop it. That's because we executed the play perfectly EVERY time. That's the beauty of Bennett coached sides - they are exceptionally well drilled. Bellamy, Maguire and Robinson coached teams are similar.

That level of precision has been sadly missing since he left. Price was tactically bankrupt, and I haven't seen too much from Mary either to be honest. Our attacking stats from 2012 - 2015 is just sad, pure and simple.

If we're gonna persist with Mary, we need assistants that can bring back that attacking precision, otherwise, we'll be struggling to make the semis every year.

well said.
and yes only 1 play, however there were about 5 variations involving Boyd either running or passing, and the decoy runner sometimes actually getting the ball.
it was a structured play that also allowed the players to include a variation based on what unfolded in front of them, not simply be robots.

giboz71

First Grade
well said.
and yes only 1 play, however there were about 5 variations involving Boyd either running or passing, and the decoy runner sometimes actually getting the ball.
it was a structured play that also allowed the players to include a variation based on what unfolded in front of them, not simply be robots.

Yes exactly. Boyd was particularly good with his decision making whether to run or pass, send the ball to Cooper or a cut out pass to Morris. Dugan has none of these instincts.

Oh and we had Benny Creagh in his prime on that left edge as well running off Hornby when we were close to the line.

Those were the days........

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Well there are still remnants of that Bennett coached side in creagh, flo, hornby, young and cooper. Can't those 5 figure it out between them?

Mr Red

First Grade
Yes exactly. Boyd was particularly good with his decision making whether to run or pass, send the ball to Cooper or a cut out pass to Morris. Dugan has none of these instincts.

Oh and we had Benny Creagh in his prime on that left edge as well running off Hornby when we were close to the line.

Those were the days........

seems a bloody lifetime ago doesnt it.... :?

hardbaby

Coach
Truth be told if Duges hasn't developed a passing game now he never will. He is an out and out runner. Centre would suit him. When the defender looks up and sees Duges in front of him plus an edge runner like Friz and a ball playing fullback sweeping behind it creates uncertainty. But with Duges at fullback they know what he will do. He will take them on. For all his brilliance, the game has changed, and he is now in the wrong position.

The Nick

Bench
Truth be told if Duges hasn't developed a passing game now he never will. He is an out and out runner. Centre would suit him. When the defender looks up and sees Duges in front of him plus an edge runner like Friz and a ball playing fullback sweeping behind it creates uncertainty. But with Duges at fullback they know what he will do. He will take them on. For all his brilliance, the game has changed, and he is now in the wrong position.

Ahhh have you seen the running metres he churns out every week? One of the reasons our forward pack marches up field so efficiently is on the back of his kick returns. Watch how we struggle for field position any time he doesn't play.

That being said I agree he would make an excellent winger. But I'm not sure we have anyone who can fill Dugan's boots at fullback. Personally I'm not a fan of weakening one position (particularly a spine position) just to strengthen another.

With Benji and Widdop still trying to add polish to their halves combination, do we really need another ball player in the mix at this stage?

BennyV

Referee
Ahhh have you seen the running metres he churns out every week? One of the reasons our forward pack marches up field so efficiently is on the back of his kick returns. Watch how we struggle for field position any time he doesn't play.

That being said I agree he would make an excellent winger. But I'm not sure we have anyone who can fill Dugan's boots at fullback. Personally I'm not a fan of weakening one position (particularly a spine position) just to strengthen another.

With Benji and Widdop still trying to add polish to their halves combination, do we really need another ball player in the mix at this stage?

I am a big fan of Dugan defending at fullback and attacking as a centre, swapping with Mata'utia (or Mann next year) when we are attacking. It uses all his best assets (kick returns, positional play, one-on-one defense) while allowing to use him as a ball runner and the more skillful players as ball players.

Its an incredibly simple piece of creative coaching that I cant believe hasnt been explored.

rainman44

Bench
truth be told if duges hasn't developed a passing game now he never will. He is an out and out runner. Centre would suit him. When the defender looks up and sees duges in front of him plus an edge runner like friz and a ball playing fullback sweeping behind it creates uncertainty. But with duges at fullback they know what he will do. He will take them on. For all his brilliance, the game has changed, and he is now in the wrong position.

100%

hardbaby

Coach

Yeap he is extraordinary. But our running metres have been excellent all year. Duges often starts our set but everybody digs in. The issue is that despite those running metres we do very little in attack. And that is our biggest problem. If Duges played centre he would still run for 120 metres per game, score as many tries, hit hard in defence but not cruel our attack. I firmly believe this.

giboz71

First Grade
yeap he is extraordinary. But our running metres have been excellent all year. Duges often starts our set but everybody digs in. The issue is that despite those running metres we do very little in attack. And that is our biggest problem. If duges played centre he would still run for 120 metres per game, score as many tries, hit hard in defence but not cruel our attack. I firmly believe this.

200%