What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lachlan Maranta joins the Dragons in 2019

Belta

Juniors
I’m feeling upbeat and excited after news re Tariq and Norman. I understand we’ve invested heavily in the forwards and playmakers. (Hunt, Norman, Widdop) The upshot could be less credentialed flankers, but I’m ok with that and we still may add another yet.

I kinda suspect the competitiveness of modern NRL would make it a big task to fill your squad with home grown juniors. Maranta, Ravalawa, Pierra, Pearson etc aren’t household names but I think if the effort and belief exists whoever steps in will atleast as good as last year or even better

rednwhites

Juniors
This is not so good and disappointing news after the Tariq news. I dont know why but just the name and how he was bog average at the Broncos. We better buy another speedy outside back Millward. Go get em Possm!

I've been surprised before but this just feels like a very average depth signing. Even worse than Denan Kemp.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I’ve seen him play around 6 or 7 times, he will do the job, there will be competition in any case, the best man will get theTV gig.

Gotta say I liked how Brisbane used their wingers back then. They had Oates, Vidot and Maranta and they swapped them around depending on who they were playing. If they needed big burly wingers they went with Vidot, if they thought they'd have a better chance with a speedster they went with Maranta.

Could kick a bit too from memory.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I'll admit that Maths was not my strongest subject at school, but I'm wondering how we can sign Norman, Maranta ÁND Jennings with the cap space we're reported to have at our disposal in 2019.

Journalists quote figures which may not be accurate so my analysis might be well off. The DT recently quoted SGI had about $550,000 to throw at Norman in 2019 and Norman was on nearly $900,000 at Parra of which they've already paid a small component towards his 2019 salary. That was before Mann was released.

Assuming Mann's release freed up around $350,000 (maybe more- who would know), I was thinking that SGI had more than enough to fund a reduced contract for Norman- but not much more.

Today, the DT has announced that SGI will be paying Norman around $600,000 in 2019 and more for 2020 and 2021 from Widdop's deal when he departs at the end of 2019.

Don't know what they got Maranta for but it appears to me that we'd have less than $300,000 to offer Jennings for 2019 - which is probably less than he's already rejected at Souths.

As I say, there's a lot of conjecture in these figures so if anyone has any other analysis that can get Jennings on board, I'm all ears.
Hey Mate, I have no light to shed on your question except to say if we have say "$500k" to spend on a particular spot in our 30 doesn't mean we have "$500k" left. For example, one scenario might be "we have $500k set aside for spot X in the squad and $250k set aside for spot Y. Oh look, we got a player for spot Y for $140k, that gives us $110k extra for spot X." I'm only guessing that is how clubs might juggle their salary cap.

Mr Red

First Grade
If we planned on buying a slow dud to fill a reserve spot we might as well have kept Mann. A least he’s a dud that could play many positions.. surely on minimum wage and nothing more.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
If we planned on buying a slow dud to fill a reserve spot we might as well have kept Mann. A least he’s a dud that could play many positions.. surely on minimum wage and nothing more.
I'ts pretty much stated that's what he is on and Mann wasn't on minimal contract, Mann would probably be 3-4 times more...

possm

Coach

I agree however, players like Mann and Herbert wanted to leave. I'd say having Maranta as a depth player for the backline is no worse than having Latimore and Allgood as depth players for the forwards.

All of our players with 'potential' aren't going to come through as good or top first grade players and so, there is merit in having players who are nearing the end of their career in the ISP team to help guide these youngsters through.

Mr Red

First Grade
I agree however, players like Mann and Herbert wanted to leave. I'd say having Maranta as a depth player for the backline is no worse than having Latimore and Allgood as depth players for the forwards.

All of our players with 'potential' aren't going to come through as good or top first grade players and so, there is merit in having players who are nearing the end of their career in the ISP team to help guide these youngsters through.

I see your point however the club seems to place too much emphasis on having first grade experience for fringe positions.
For me instead of a 27 year old average winger who has been tried at first grade level and proven not up to it doesn’t add as much value as a 21 year old kid who hasn’t been tested yet but has way more potential to succeed.
Both would cost roughly the same as each other however one has more long term value for the club.
We are talking a wing spot here, not a spine position

Old Timer

Coach
I see your point however the club seems to place too much emphasis on having first grade experience for fringe positions.
For me instead of a 27 year old average winger who has been tried at first grade level and proven not up to it doesn’t add as much value as a 21 year old kid who hasn’t been tested yet but has way more potential to succeed.
Both would cost roughly the same as each other however one has more long term value for the club.
We are talking a wing spot here, not a spine position
Excellent analysis.
The thought that a run of the mill 27 year old is there to teach a rising 18 or 19 year old is ludicrous. FMD what are the coaches for these days?
In the old days when there were 3 grades and there was plenty of biffo in the game you needed a few old hard nuts to protect your rising stars.
I can vividly remember Monty Porter playing seconds and squaring up a few souths players for that very reason. Later on the likes of Bowen, Brearden, Keith Maddison all filled that role with distinction.
Now that the game has become more civilised the "need" for the older hard head is not of real importance.
Most other clubs are debuting 20 year old wingers (even less) into 1st grade so we now decide to take up an ISP wing / centre spot with a 27 year old no wonder we still have Lafai & Aitken in 1st grade and kept Nighty for so long.

Haha Millward is almost apologising for signing Maranta.

And so he should.

Our ISP side doesn’t need his experience.

In his last season at the Broncos he set a record for the number of ways a winger could bomb a try.

I would have persevered with Reuben Garrick before considering Maranta.

Walpole

Juniors
There were two contract signings on the same day - Maranta and the extension of Sims.

This Maranta thread has more posts than the one about Sims. Seems we'd all rather have a whinge about something perceived as bad than celebrate something we all know is good.

possm

Coach
There were two contract signings on the same day - Maranta and the extension of Sims.

This Maranta thread has more posts than the one about Sims. Seems we'd all rather have a whinge about something perceived as bad than celebrate something we all know is good.

I'd say that most on here expected Sims to stay and are very happy he did. You can be sure there would have been plenty of activity on here if we lost Sims.

On the other hand, many on here have been concerned with the quality of player that has been signed to fill outside back positions. So to add another depth signing rather than a top line outside back worries them..

SEAT 1A

Bench
I’m feeling upbeat and excited after news re Tariq and Norman. I understand we’ve invested heavily in the forwards and playmakers. (Hunt, Norman, Widdop) The upshot could be less credentialed flankers, but I’m ok with that and we still may add another yet.

I kinda suspect the competitiveness of modern NRL would make it a big task to fill your squad with home grown juniors. Maranta, Ravalawa, Pierra, Pearson etc aren’t household names but I think if the effort and belief exists whoever steps in will atleast as good as last year or even better

Agree Belta.

Club targeting players who can fill a weakness in our squad after Nene's stage left.

Nene move may or may not have been planed however, the club choose to do so for all parties.

Pereria was given a shot and should be given one wing spot so, one of the other lads with do the same.

BLM01

First Grade
Excellent analysis.
The thought that a run of the mill 27 year old is there to teach a rising 18 or 19 year old is ludicrous. FMD what are the coaches for these days?
In the old days when there were 3 grades and there was plenty of biffo in the game you needed a few old hard nuts to protect your rising stars.
I can vividly remember Monty Porter playing seconds and squaring up a few souths players for that very reason. Later on the likes of Bowen, Brearden, Keith Maddison all filled that role with distinction.
Now that the game has become more civilised the "need" for the older hard head is not of real importance.
Most other clubs are debuting 20 year old wingers (even less) into 1st grade so we now decide to take up an ISP wing / centre spot with a 27 year old no wonder we still have Lafai & Aitken in 1st grade and kept Nighty for so long.
OT if you have played league then you should know that young blokes coming through do look up and learn off other experienced players around them as I have done and I am sure others on here or anywhere can attest to.
Coaches and support staff are one thing, rubbing shoulders with experienced players when you get promoted are another
By the way I am not saying Maranta (who is only 25 now I believe) is the best answer or most experienced, or a great signing but he has some. I believe that is all Dragons are looking for to help these young backs coming through. Outside Aitken & Lafai who are centres we dont have experienced No's 1-5.
Your arguments that coaches do all for young players is flawed thats all. You said it yourself what is what like in the old days...that has not changed to a point.
Those clubs you are talking about debuting 20 year old wingers, tell me what players they surround themselves with to suppoty your argument of today.
We have a shortage in the back 5 thats all and did last year except for Flo.