What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laffranchi charged over sexual assault

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In the article, it was used in the correct context.

Talking of arguments, I think you lost sight of yours some time ago.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
skeepe said:
I'm aware of that, but it doesn't necessarily follow that this information will make it into the public domain before the trial.

They can avoid a trial by contesting it at a commital hearing in a local court. The beak has to decide if the prosecution has a case after they present all their evidence.

aids

Bench
if he is found guilty, he is a dead set dickhead.
i am however proud with the way both clubs, tigers and titans as well as lafranchi have handled this, and been fully co-operative.

at the end of the day, without inuendo and cloudy circumstances the paperes don't have much to gossip over.
so being open with the media means there isn't much they can fluff out of it.

my opinion would be though, if he were still with us, i wouldn't feel happy with him being named in the team until his name was cleared.

aids

Bench
chances are nothing happened, and i guess the court hear will determine if he did or not.
it's hard on the titans, as mentioned he hadn't finished his carrer at the tigers for a few hours when this happened.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
aids said:
chances are nothing happened, and i guess the court hear will determine if he did or not.
it's hard on the titans, as mentioned he hadn't finished his carrer at the tigers for a few hours when this happened.

One thing has happened - he bonked some girl he picked up when his wife was pregnant. Class act. This is what Searle regards as a role model. :lol: :roll:

Nathan B said:
And I get a little pissed off when supporters of other clubs who know three fifths of f*ck all about what Dogs fans went through (and what they still go through), chime in with 'get over it', and the like. Or even worse: 'Gallop and the NRL handled the Coffs affair perfectly'.

Perfect example on the w/end when I went back to Young for my Mums 50th, Dad and I grabbed the Saturday Telegraph and on the back of it was a picture of the Dogs RE the O'Meley saga.

Girl at the checkout said redneckishly to the checkout chick next to her "I still cant believe that they let those rapists get away with it, they should have been left to rot in jail" I was appalled and felt very bad for the ole man as he is as, diehard supporter of the dogs as they come and has copped so much sh*t and still does after Coffs.

In my oppinion you cant blame the dogs for being a bit sensative over the seeming leniency that goes on in situations like this.

simon says

First Grade
Willow said:
Are you referring to a press release from July 2006?

I think he is.......

I see what you are getting at with the time frame......

But.......hypothetically,if you say someone is a top bloke,wax lyrical about how you are going to build a team around him and what a role model he is,and a few months later he ALLEGEDLY did something naughty.....well,there's still a bit of egg on the dome IMO.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
simon says said:
I think he is.......

I see what you are getting at with the time frame......

But.......hypothetically,if you say someone is a top bloke,wax lyrical about how you are going to build a team around him and what a role model he is,and a few months later he ALLEGEDLY did something naughty.....well,there's still a bit of egg on the dome IMO.
How so? Can he tell the future?

When Searle made that comment in July, he was welcoming a new signing to the club.

In July 2006, I doubt even Laffranchi knew what he'd be doing in September.

aids

Bench
the titans havn't done anything wrong.
Searle was praising up a local junior, who was a new signing, who played a key role in the previous years premiers.
it's only natural.

simon says

First Grade
I agree he cant tell the future,and its no fault of Searle's......but its still a little embarassing though to have said that and then this come out.

IMO of course.

Danish

Referee
skeepe said:
Of course, the police are going to release a statement to the press with all the evidence in the case before it goes to court. Standard operating procedure. :sarcasm:

I'm sorry, I would assume the precident set by pretty much every other major media case would be followed.... Its not like the media ever gives detailed "alleged" accounts of a crime prior to the case going to court :roll:

Take the terrorist trials going on right now. Most of us know at least a bit of the evidence against them (stockpiling chemicals, training camps, tapped phone calls and all that).

But no, suppressing any of the evidence they have against lafranchi is top priority.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
simon says said:
I agree he cant tell the future,and its no fault of Searle's......but its still a little embarassing though to have said that and then this come out.

IMO of course.
Exactly how is it embarrassing?

IYO of course.

Danish

Referee
I think he means its embarrassing like telling all your mates to bet on xx horse because its form is fantastic and its running against nuffies, you got a hot tip from a jocket etc etc.......

and then the thing running last.

Sure its no fault of your own, and at the time no one could fault your logic, but you still end up looking the fool because you told everyone to bet on it.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Danish said:
I think he means its embarrassing like telling all your mates to bet on xx horse because its form is fantastic and its running against nuffies, you got a hot tip from a jocket etc etc.......

Sure its no fault of your own, and at the time no one could fault your logic, but you still end up looking the fool because you told everyone to bet on it.

exactly

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Danish said:

Sounds even sillier when you put it like that.

Sorry, I can't see how a mug bet compares to the standard fare of welcoming a new player and talking him up. Perhaps its more to with the rantings from those who have a personal dislike for Searle. After all, his eyes are too close together... as pointed out by some of our more 'astute' forummers in another thread.

Can someone show me the link where Wests Tigers announced their signing of Laffranchi in 2001?
I'm assuming they didn't say, 'Anthony is someone who we feel will run last in the next meeting at Warwick Farm'. Or maybe they did.

And presumably when Wests Tigers signed John Hopoate in 2000, they were more guarded in their praise? Although one can assume the future held some embarrassment which was more of the realistic kind, rather than imagined forms of embarrassment sprung from the wastelands of this thread. Especially given that Hoppa was already carrying some baggage at the time.

Mr Saab

Referee
[furrycat] said:
Laurie Daley and Peter Fitzsimmons believed it was the biggest choke since the NRL began. Brad Clyde disagreed. Sounds like an argument to me. :crazy:

I see where you are coming from in relation to your debate with Nathan, but to use Peter Fitzsimminons as a reference is rather ludicrous.
And for the record, the 1998 prelim final between the eels and dogs, IMO of course, is the biggest choke since th NRL was formed in 1998.
Leading 18-2 with 10 mins to go completely outweighs 20-6 @ halftime.
IMO of course ;-)