What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laffranchi charged over sexual assault

The_Savage_1

Juniors
Willow said:
Sounds even sillier when you put it like that.

Sorry, I can't see how a mug bet compares to the standard fare of welcoming a new player and talking him up. Perhaps its more to with the rantings from those who have a personal dislike for Searle. After all, his eyes are too close together... as pointed out by some of our more 'astute' forummers in another thread.

Can someone show me the link where Wests Tigers announced their signing of Laffranchi in 2001?
I'm assuming they didn't say, 'Anthony is someone who we feel will run last in the next meeting at Warwick Farm'. Or maybe they did.

And presumably when Wests Tigers signed John Hopoate in 2000, they were more guarded in their praise? Although one can assume the future held some embarrassment which was more of the realistic kind, rather than imagined forms of embarrassment sprung from the wastelands of this thread. Especially given that Hoppa was already carrying some baggage at the time.

it's not the fact he talked him up, it's the fact he highlighted him as an off field role model and then this happens.

of course it looks bad.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The_Savage_1 said:
it's not the fact he talked him up, it's the fact he highlighted him as an off field role model and then this happens.

of course it looks bad.

i don't recall anyone at the time disagreeing with him

LESStar58

Referee
If he's found guilty then f**k him off! It's not what the game needs and I'm expecting this to be plastered all over the Melbourne papers tomorrow by the moral highground of the AFL media!

Its probably in everyones best interests if the Titans stand him down til the matter is resolved. Until then, let justice run its course. He's like everyone else and deserves a hearing/trial. If he's not guilty, he can play footy again but his life will be far from normal. Imagine all the sh*t he'll cop!

Again, if he is guilty the NRL won't f**k around. He'll get booted from the comp.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The_Savage_1 said:

of course it looks bad.
What looks bad? No one has been convicted of anything yet.

And so what anyway? Someone has dug up a quote dated two months before the alleged incident took place.

Tell me, do are you responsible for not being able to tell the future? Can you predict the possible actions of others?

Really, listen to yourselves. There's no logic to it.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
did it look bad when mundine said the storm didnt deserve the premiership and they got spanked 70-10?

same principle.

you say something and the opposite happens = egg on face

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Completely different.

Comparing football games and racing tips to alleged sexual assaults. Go figure.

Titanic

First Grade
I want him to play because he hasn't done anything proven wrong. If the Titans stand him down they are hiding him from the glare of publicity, protecting the Game, etc but they are also taking away one of their starting team and punishing the team, fans and sponsors on hearsay. The allegations alone are not enough to condemn him. To even consider that the Club would condone his actions if proven guilty is not even worth debating but should they stand a key part of their team down because of "tainted by association"? Not IMO.

So now if he is proven innocent then the Club just moves on and if he is guilty then the Club just moves on. Surely that's the bottom line.

In the case of Searle what else could he say? (a) my new player is going to be great (before the allegations - why not); (b) my player is innocent and so must play (presumably the player has told the Club of his professed innocence - otherwise Searle is calling the player a liar - not his call). Searle has lead with his chin from Day One (not everybody's cup of tea but certainly his job).

Finally, this player must at the very least get the "richard cranium" award for (1) having a family and placing himself in this position and (2) having a new contract and placing himself in this position. Of course if allegations are substantiated then he gets the "far cough" award.

Raider_69

Post Whore
the the same bloody logic willow, they are different only in circumstances of one being a footy game and the other being talk of role models

simon says

First Grade
Willow said:
What looks bad? No one has been convicted of anything yet.

True....but he has admittted to cheating on his wife while she was pregnant.......

Now if the head of your club has come out lauding what a great role model you are,and you have admitted this adulterous behaviour,well of course it would be embarassing for Searle.

Seems pretty simple to follow to me.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Raider_69 said:
the the same bloody logic willow, they are different only in circumstances of one being a footy game and the other being talk of role models
Nope, its just people being silly.

Do you really think the investigating police, the alleged victim, and the accused give a tinker's cuss about your analogies and Searle obssessions?

What was said last July wasn't too different to what a lot CEOs say about new recruits. Big deal. Its the same as saying Wests Tigers have egg on their face for signing the bloke in 2001.

Digging up old Searle quotes and finding proof that he can't tell the future... well done. LOL.
I have no doubt that the LU search function could leave plenty of egg on your face too R_69.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
simon says said:
True....but he has admittted to cheating on his wife while she was pregnant.......

Now if the head of your club has come out lauding what a great role model you are,and you have admitted this adulterous behaviour,well of course it would be embarassing for Searle.

Seems pretty simple to follow to me.
BUT he didnt know about any of that. The quote is from before any of that happened! #-o

Just think for second. You could apply the same logic to Wests Tigers or any club.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Indeed it would Willow, but then again i wouldnt have a plethora of people trying to tell the LU community that there was no egg to be seen on my face. I would and in the past have copped it on the chin when ive made statements that have come back to haunt me

Searle made a massive deal about his no dickheads policy and now its come back to bite him on the arse. And worst may still be yet to come, pending the outcome of the case. Clearly the bloke is a not as good a judge of charactor as he'd have you believe

simon says

First Grade
Willow said:
BUT he didnt know about any of that. The quote is from before any of that happened! #-o

Just think for second. You could apply the same logic to Wests Tigers or any club.

I know he didnt know.....so what.

He said it,and its come back to haunt him.

Of course you could apply this to any club.But IMO this is one hell of a blooper,akin to Tigger saying we would come last when we won the comp.He didnt know where we would come,he was quoted before the comp finished,and he ended up with egg on his face.

simon says

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
Indeed it would Willow, but then again i wouldnt have a plethora of people trying to tell the LU community that there was no egg to be seen on my face. I would and in the past have copped it on the chin when ive made statements that have come back to haunt me

Searle made a massive deal about his no dickheads policy and now its come back to bite him on the arse. And worst may still be yet to come, pending the outcome of the case.

Well said 69........

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Raider_69 said:
Searle made a massive deal about his no dickheads policy
I don't follow the life and times of Michael Searle as closely as you do.

Please show me where he is quoted as saying he has a "no dickhead policy."

And is this a policy you disagree with? That is, are we to assume you have a "yes dickhead policy"?

And while you at it, please explain how the CEO of one club is in any way responsible (even remotely) for a player's conduct while he is playing for another club, in another city?

And further to further more, since when did the clean living folk here find the high moral ground in regards to a player's private life? In this case, Laffranchi has come clean about his version of events and his wife is standing by him. Until circumstances change, that's all we really need to know about them in particular. Quite frankly, I think it's none of our business, nor should we impose our morality or pass judgment beyond that. Especially considering that we don't know all the facts.

[furrycat]

Coach
... I seriously dont understand this argument.

Searle made the quote before all of this crap happened and it was admitted etc; how in gods name is it egg on his face? :?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
simon says said:
He said it,and its come back to haunt him.
In your mind perhaps.

I'd say there are more important issues for Laffranchi, Wests Tigers and the Titans to consider (such as the small matter of a police investigation), and this 'revelation' of yours is in fact quite petty.