What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laffranchi charged over sexual assault

nqboy said:
There's plenty of typos and poor spelling on this forum but this would have to be one of the worst efforts I've seen.

lol my bad, although i thought that many would still understand what i mean, i dont think i made to many spelling mistakes. (at least i hope not)

Big Mick

Referee
Oh I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in Frasers house when this was revealed.

This mole castrated Gower and he wasn't even charged.

This guy is charged and is facing court in 3 weeks over the matter.

Where's Innsaniek? Surely something to say on the matter?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
jimmy_the_greek said:
basically, i was reffering to bulldogs fans been angry about this, the club was fined for the same thing,
Its not the same thing. Sure there were allegations of rape and the case was dropped, but the player's conduct was questionable according to the NRL and even the club itself. Its silly comparing it to to the Laffranchi case because we don't know the real detail. But suffice to say, in the Bulldog's case, there was reason to believe that the players transgressed in Coffs Harbour, even without the sexual assault allegations.

Afterwards, I think silly comments to the media like “gang banging is nothing new for our club or to the rugby league”; and players turning up at police interviews wearing shorts and thongs didn't help the situation, and this contributed to the reasoning behind actions taken by the NRL and the club.

The Bulldogs players breached their own club's code of conduct. And the NRL maintained that their conduct in Coffs was below standard. The players were fined by the club, the NRL fined the club.

You may recall that the Bulldogs football manager Garry Hughes was sacked by the club for failing to enforce the code of conduct at Coffs Harbour. CEO Steve Mortimer walked away from the club. Even Peter Mortimer, who resigned from the club, said the fines were in order.

So I'm willing to assume that the two cases are somewhat different.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
JJ said:
Indeed - one could speculate...

The police generally don't lay charges in these sorts of cases unless there is a fairly sound case... will be interesting for sure
That's as much a poor assumption as it is speculation.
Charges have been dropped in the past.
You don't know what will happen here.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
What was the delay in charging this bloke? It sounds like the DPP have mulled over this for some time before advising the police to proceed with putting him in the dock. Just speculation but it sounds like it was touch and go whether they were confident of getting a conviction.

Nathan B

Juniors
Willow said:
The players were fined by the club, the NRL fined the club.

Do you have a list of the clubs the NRL has fined because their players have broken the club's code of conduct?

gottabegood

Juniors
Don't know the facts, but from that SMH article we are told that,

a. She was at a night club in Kings Crossb. Appears to have mutally agreed to befriend a bunch of blokes at this nightclub in Kings Cross.
c. Appears to have mutually agreed to go back to one of these blokes unit.
d. She woke up with some undisclosed part of her clothing had been interfered with.
e. there is no allegation against Rabbitohs’ players or suggestion they were even at O’Hara’s unit when the alleged assault took place.

WTF....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Nathan B said:
Do you have a list of the clubs the NRL has fined because their players have broken the club's code of conduct?
I didn't say that.

The NRL didn't fine the Bulldogs because players breached that club's code of conduct.

The club fine and the NRL fine are separate. I'm pretty sure the NRL fine happened first and the Bulldogs fining their players came afterwards.

Other clubs have been fined by the NRL for bringing the game into disrepute.

I haven't made up a list, have you got one?

Nathan B

Juniors
Willow said:
I didn't say that.

The NRL didn't fine the Bulldogs because players breached that club's code of conduct.

The club fine and the NRL fine are separate. I'm pretty sure the NRL fine happened first and the Bulldogs fining their players came afterwards.

Other clubs have been fined by the NRL for bringing the game into disrepute.

I haven't made up a list, have you got one?

So why did the NRL fine the club?

I always thought it was because some of the players brought the game into disrepute by breaking the Bulldog's code of conduct.

No, I haven't got a list of all the other clubs that have been fined by the NRL. But I'm guessing it's a fairly short one.

[furrycat]

Coach
Oh my god.

What the f**k is wrong with other BUlldogs supporters? Honestly... Get the f**k over it and move on.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Nathan B said:
So why did the NRL fine the club?
Do you really want to bring all that up?

The NRL deemed that the club didn't do enough. Garry Hughes was sacked by the club for failing to enforce the code of conduct. Mortimer fell on his sword. Ask the club if they thought the NRL was in the wrong.

Nathan B said:
No, I haven't got a list of all the other clubs that have been fined by the NRL. But I'm guessing it's a fairly short one.
Well that's possibly a good thing. Nevertheless, the Bulldogs are not alone. I don't know what that has to do with Laffranchi.

[furrycat]

Coach
Because apparently we were victimised and the NRL should give us back our money... :blahb::blahb::blahb:.

It has nothing to do with this thread and it happened 3 years ago- get over it. We were fined for a reason. The club brought the game into disrepute for the way they handled they situation and were fined accordingly; it had no bearing as to whether or not they did anything wrong.

Why should the NRL fine the titans or the tigers, please tell me now?

Nathan B

Juniors
Willow said:
The NRL deemed that the club didn't do enough. Garry Hughes was sacked by the club for failing to enforce the code of conduct. Mortimer fell on his sword. Ask the club if they thought the NRL was in the wrong.

So on the one hand the NRL and the club disagreed with the punishment (hence the NRL stepping in, according to you). On the other the club was fine with the extra punishment the NRL decided to dish out.

Doesn't make sense to me.

My opinion on these things is that the NRL should stay out of these issues and let the clubs dish out punishment to their players, except on very extreme situations. Now, at first, the '04 Coffs affair seemed like an extreme situation. But if Gallop had acted appropriately and waited (like he's doing now) then he would've realised that this drama was not unlike most of the other dramas that engulf almost every other club in the comp. The Bulldogs dished out heavy fines, and club legends lost their jobs.

I started in on this (again) because some other Dogs fans were letting their frustrations be known over the huge discrepancy between the NRL's handling of this and other situations and the Coffs affair. And I get a little pissed off when supporters of other clubs who know three fifths of f*ck all about what Dogs fans went through (and what they still go through), chime in with 'get over it', and the like. Or even worse: 'Gallop and the NRL handled the Coffs affair perfectly'.

Gallop is doing the right thing now. Good on him for learning from his mistakes. But it still pisses me and other Dogs fans off, and sometimes you'll still hear about.

(The last couple of paragraphs weren't directed at you, Williow.)

[furrycat]

Coach
Nathan B said:
So on the one hand the NRL and the club disagreed with the punishment (hence the NRL stepping in, according to you). On the other the club was fine with the extra punishment the NRL decided to dish out.

Doesn't make sense to me.

My opinion on these things is that the NRL should stay out of these issues and let the clubs dish out punishment to their players, except on very extreme situations. Now, at first, the '04 Coffs affair seemed like an extreme situation. But if Gallop had acted appropriately and waited (like he's doing now) then he would've realised that this drama was not unlike most of the other dramas that engulf almost every other club in the comp. The Bulldogs dished out heavy fines, and club legends lost their jobs.

I started in on this (again) because some other Dogs fans were letting their frustrations be known over the huge discrepancy between the NRL's handling of this and other situations and the Coffs affair. And I get a little pissed off when supporters of other clubs who know three fifths of f*ck all about what Dogs fans went through (and what they still go through), chime in with 'get over it', and the like. Or even worse: 'Gallop and the NRL handled the Coffs affair perfectly'.

Gallop is doing the right thing now. Good on him for learning from his mistakes. But it still pisses me and other Dogs fans off, and sometimes you'll still hear about.

(The last couple of paragraphs weren't directed at you, Williow.)

And this is totally why you are a complete dickhead.

I am a Bulldogs supporter and have been since I was 5 years old... If you had eyes over the past 3 years maybe you'd have picked up on that a little bit sooner. Get your facts straight.

Nathan B

Juniors
[furrycat] said:

I am a Bulldogs supporter and have been since I was 5 years old... If you had eyes over the past 3 years maybe you'd have picked up on that a little bit sooner. Get your facts straight.

:)

How's it going Benji?

[furrycat]

Coach
Typical. :lol: No reply whatsoever so you sidestep completely. Better get you into the side. Yes I must be a turncoat- after all I wrote the Bulldogs preview and had the nerve to write negative things about the side... heaven forbid!

You're the reason why dogs supporters are well known for being whingey arrogant pricks. Grow a brain and realise that not everything is about you.

Nathan B

Juniors
[furrycat] said:

I can understand why you'd think otherwise, but I wasn't actually thinking of you when I said that.

I know you're a Dogs supporter, Benji.