What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lance thompson jus got released ?

sting

Bench
jus flicked over to sky news and caught the last bit of a story bout the dragons showed lance getting interviewed saying "doust and brown didnt even tell me they got someone else to" refering to something he got told at the dragons awards nite last night. apparently he was so disgusted he walked out before receiving his 200 game award....

can anyone confirm this?

if true this is a disgrace

Collateral

Coach
Apparently but I think it is still all speculation at the moment as I cant find anything official...it might end up being someone saying so and people taking it and running with it.

If so it is upsetting, but we never know the full story so I dont know about it being a disgrace. Thats IF its true.

Generalzod

Immortal
A great player like Thompson treated like crap, Rugby League is no longer a game its a business.....

Go Nulla

Bench
Dont be mistaken, unfortunately all teams act this way these days. The boards want committment from the players, but dont give it in return. Just like in a normal workplace. Loyalty counts for zero these days. and I dont give a toss who you support.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
According to a Telegraph interview with Brownie, Thommo has jumped the gun.

.................................................. ..........................................

Both players have not been told they will be sacked but Thompson fears he will be cut and spoke out on the decision publicly. He is yet to meet with the club.

"We wanted to sit down with Lance and run a few options through him which we thought were good for him and which would give him a future at the club," Brown said.

"But Lance was given a message [from a third party] that we didn't want him. That wasn't right but he reacted to it.

"Ideally you don't want these things in the media.

"We have Ben Creagh, Dean Young, Corey Payne and Ashton Sims coming through.

"They are all back-rowers and we have salary cap issues.

"At the end of the day you have to stay within the rules.

"To let some of the younger guys go wouldn't make sense. They are the future of the club.

"It's a tough decision but you've got to make them.

"Sometimes you have to talk to players who have given such long service to the club about these issues.

"Those aren't conversations you want to have but you have to have them.

Lance didn't let us have that meeting which we wanted.

"This isn't about throwing people out to the wolves.

"Longevity eventually ends for footballers, otherwise I'd be choosing Graeme Langlands at fullback and John Raper at lock."

Brown said Timmins would decide his own future.

"I spoke with Timmo yesterday. We spoke about his injuries and his knees," Brown said.

"We just wanted to see where his body was at. Timmo will make the final decision. Whatever he does the club will support.

"Timmo handled this as we would have expected - like a good and loyal clubman."

Brown said the salary cap issue had to be resolved now rather than at the start of next season.

"We would like this sorted out now. It won't destabilise the club at this time because we aren't playing matches. That could happen next year," he said.

Taken from: 'Angry Dragon jumped gun'
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/...2-23214,00.html
.................................................. ..............................................

Interesting that in the list of players they have 'coming through', Brown mentions Ashton Sims. At the very least, one rumour seems to be on the skids.

Dragonheart

Juniors
If this is the case, I'm appalled.

I've been away from things for a couple of weeks, and come back to get told this at work. They say about keeping the young guys that are coming through, but as promising as the likes of Poore, Sims, Henderson, and Payne may be, they are nothing like Lance Thompson.

These young guys are likely to switch clubs the minute enough cash is waved under their noses.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....if they are good enough to TAKE the spot away from Lance then so be it, but there is absolutely no reason for him to step aside.

As for anyone who believes Lance has reacted this way, just from a media report....wait for the facts.

AshMang

Juniors
whats the club meant to do? fair enough its disappointing but think from their point of view aswell.. if its true ill miss watching that rednut run around with the might red and whites

redwhitedragon

Juniors
Has any1 thought of saying bye bye to bailey for 06. I know he is our best but he is gone in another year already signed with the titans. if the big red goes we are basically losing a player who would die for this club for a player that will be leaving anyway.
thoughts saying stupid idea?

The Preacher

First Grade
RWD, maybe if they thought about that when they decided to sign Bull and Greeny for one year, the current situation, making us the laughing stock of the recruitment and retention world, would not exist.
After this Doust can put his head between his legs and kiss his arse GOODBYE.
IF IT WASN'T FOR LAURIE DOUST, PETER PERFECT WOULDN'T HOLD THE POSITION HE DOES. HE IS AN EMBARRASSMENT TO EVERYTHING LAURIE ACHIEVED.

drake

First Grade
Great Idea! Ditch the best prop in the game because it's only 1 season. :roll:
2006 is our best shot at winning a comp before another "rebuilding" phase.

2007 is going to see a lot more of our current team playing elsewhere than just Bailey and Greenshields. Bails signed for unders anyway.

I'd take Bailey for one year over Thompson for 3 anyday.

The Preacher

First Grade
I understand your point Drake, what I'm saying is that they should have taken Timmo and Thommo into discussions when the first signs were there, not in the off season.
This whole situation is ludicrous, considering the so called "business brains" we have in the elected positions of "junketville".
I know Bull is the best prop in the world, and I want him for that extra year, but it seems decisions made at board level are terribly "ad-hoc", very, very unprofessional.

drake

First Grade
I can see your point Preacher, but I think it would have been seen as very damaging to speak to Timmins and Thompson during our finals campaign. The off season is when these cuts need to be made, if they weren't obvious before the anti tampering period ended.
Could anyone have picked Creagh as a certainty for test selection in July?

I think Doust has handled the media side of this badly, by denegrading a club stalwart publicly, but I think he has had a job of juggling live grenades when it comes to our cap since we hit our straps this season, and is trying his best to do what he can to get the Dragons under the cap legally. (I don't know why he hasn't bought a ford from Uncle Nick and gotten some handy hints in the process.)
I do not envy the man his job when it comes to resigning the off contract players next year.
The other point we should remember is that due to the quality that the two regions produce, we are constantly under scrutiny about how we squeeze all of them under the cap. Any situation were we are over will be swooped on by the media, as it was recently leading up to the events of this last week.

The Preacher

First Grade
As long as all the board are working for the good of ST.G/ILL and not covering their arses for previous oversights. The way this has been handled by both the board and Lance and his agent(JOKE) has been bad. Then to let WEIRDLER loose on the situation was the worst thing that could have happened.
We all realise decisions have to be made,but, the thing I still can't get an answer to is who makes up the recruitment and retention committee.
Also, on a very sad note, one of our brighter prospects, young Tom H lost his grandfather, a very nice gentleman, on the weekend and I'd like to send my sincere thoughts to Tom, his grandmother and all family. They are great supporters of Tom's and his Pop lasted past the Flegg GF victory, and was very happy with the result even though Tom was out with the injury he sustained in the prelim final. Well done to Tom for his B&F on the awards night.

Southernsaint

Staff member
drake said:
I can see your point Preacher, but I think it would have been seen as very damaging to speak to Timmins and Thompson during our finals campaign. The off season is when these cuts need to be made, if they weren't obvious before the anti tampering period ended.
Could anyone have picked Creagh as a certainty for test selection in July?

I think Doust has handled the media side of this badly, by denegrading a club stalwart publicly, but I think he has had a job of juggling live grenades when it comes to our cap since we hit our straps this season, and is trying his best to do what he can to get the Dragons under the cap legally. (I don't know why he hasn't bought a ford from Uncle Nick and gotten some handy hints in the process.)
I do not envy the man his job when it comes to resigning the off contract players next year.
The other point we should remember is that due to the quality that the two regions produce, we are constantly under scrutiny about how we squeeze all of them under the cap. Any situation were we are over will be swooped on by the media, as it was recently leading up to the events of this last week.

Drake, the fact of the matter is that during Doust's entire reign Saints have had major Salary Cap issues & any questioning has always been fobbed off with excuses & resoning like "short term pain, long term gain". But Saints find themselves in this situation every year.

I know it's a hard job, but it's his job & that's why he's paid the big bucks.

If he was fair dinkum about the best interests of the club, he would be lobbying the NRL extremely hard about junior dispensation but we've heard barely a peep from the L.A Dodger...

The Preacher

First Grade
Who does the buying, selling and terminating. Most of all, who does the figures.
I think we'd be better off with a board room of "Oompa-Loompa's".
They get the job done without fanfare or junkets.

drake

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
Drake, the fact of the matter is that during Doust's entire reign Saints have had major Salary Cap issues & any questioning has always been fobbed off with excuses & resoning like "short term pain, long term gain". But Saints find themselves in this situation every year.

I know it's a hard job, but it's his job & that's why he's paid the big bucks.

If he was fair dinkum about the best interests of the club, he would be lobbying the NRL extremely hard about junior dispensation but we've heard barely a peep from the L.A Dodger...

I agree, he took the job.

As for the junior dispensation, you are 100% right. If any club is the poster child for regional development of rugby league talent it's Saints. The fact that other clubs are constantly benefitted by our hard work is ridiculous.

Doust needs to get stuck in and stir other CEOs from clubs who bred their own; just about all do to some extent, with the obvious exception.

I do reckon he's done a fair enough job keeping our players, and getting them to sign for less than they're worth elsewhere. The days of the "super six" are on the way out.

I still reckon he's been a prick, not by "screwing" Thompson (and Timmins who isn't whinging), but by bagging off Thompson in the press. Very unprofessional indeed. Too much crown makes Peter a sad clown.