What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Langlands charged with child sex offences

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It should go without saying, but there are a few in this thread treading a very fine line.

Think twice before hitting post.

Life's Good

Coach
It's about the shame and embarrassment you feel after a sexual assault, You try to put the memory of it into the deepest, darkest recesses of you mind.

It took me over 15 years to mention my sexual assault to anyone. Being cornered in a public toilet by a very sexually aroused naked male at the age of 14 isn't something you blurt out to your mates as if nothing happened.
I am truly sorry that you suffered something so horrible(as have too many others). However it is that you found a way to cope(I sure hope you have) is beyond admirable. I hope the perpetrator has been subjected to a miserable, painful existence(as a minimum).
All the very best VP.

thorson1987

Coach
Could also be now that alot of the church stuff and Weinstein/Hollywood stuff is happening people are feeling more able to speak out against their alleged abusers?

23266068.jpg

Cletus

First Grade
Yeah nah, I think as veggiepatch said above its often just repressed or just complete fear?

Could also be now that alot of the church stuff and Weinstein/Hollywood stuff is happening people are feeling more able to speak out against their alleged abusers?

I don't think so, the cops would have spent a lot more than a month investigating the allegations.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Anything in particular so we know what to avoid?
http://leagueunlimited.com/forum-rules

Particularly "The Legal Stuff" and "Offensive material".

I don't think so, the cops would have spent a lot more than a month investigating the allegations.
The royal commission into historical child sex abuse has been going a lot longer than a month.

Years in fact. The examples I offered with just that, not a finite timeline for people feeling more courage to come forward.

I don't have an opinion on whether or not the alleged assault happened, so don't get me wrong here, but am I the only one that finds it slightly dodgy that the victim has waited until Langlands dementia is so advanced that he can't even give a statement to the police let alone be asked to defend himself?

Again don't get me wrong I'm not saying that the victim is lying or that the alleged assault didn't happen, in fact I'm inclined to believe that something may have happened knowing what footy players were like (and what they got away with) back then, it just seems strange to me that they'd pick now to press charges.

Alternatively, the victim may simply not have followed Langlands' life closely enough to have any knowledge of his medical condition.

magpie4ever

First Grade
It's about the shame and embarrassment you feel after a sexual assault, You try to put the memory of it into the deepest, darkest recesses of you mind.

It took me over 15 years to mention my sexual assault to anyone. Being cornered in a public toilet by a very sexually aroused naked male at the age of 14 isn't something you blurt out to your mates as if nothing happened.

Sorry to hear that, I hope in some way you recovered and got on with life. Stay strong you were an innocent victim.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Thanks to all those who have shown concern regarding something that happened to me almost 45 years ago.

I never think about except when events like these allegations pop up.

And I always wondered why people (mainly women) keep a lid on these things until I thought about " Hey that's no different to me".

People have been having a shot a me regarding my stance on same sex marriage recently, I am not homophobic as I do not fear gays - let's just say I have a hatred of them which has toned down considerably over the years.That incident is a prime example of how a significant event can mould a person's emotional and psychological makeup, especially during one's adolescence,

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah nah, I think as veggiepatch said above its often just repressed or just complete fear?

It's possible that's it's fear, that she's repressed the experience, or some other innocent explanation, but the other more sinister possibilities are also possible as well.

AJB1102

First Grade
It's possible that's it's fear, that she's repressed the experience, or some other innocent explanation, but the other more sinister possibilities are also possible as well.

Apparently Langlands lost the lot and had to move in with his daughter, then going into a nursing home. So there would be f**kall when it come to dollars.

If he's flat broke and mentally unfit there is no money to her or humiliation/jail/any sort of punishment to him, he f**ked already.

If she had other "sinister possibilities" in mind what would they be other than to ruin him or get money?

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Wonder why the court stuff was in Brisbane
Did he live there in the 80’s.
The alleged crimes were committed on the Gold Coast, It doesn't matter where you live, your case will be heard in the state where the offence occurred,

Apparently Langlands lost the lot and had to move in with his daughter, then going into a nursing home. So there would be f**kall when it come to dollars.

If he's flat broke and mentally unfit there is no money to her or humiliation/jail/any sort of punishment to him, he f**ked already.

If she had other "sinister possibilities" in mind what would they be other than to ruin him or get money?
The victim can apply for Victims of Crime Compensation in Queensland for amounts of up to $75000.

However. the Department of Justice and Attorney-General can recover this money from the offender if found guilty, Good luck getting blood out of a stone,

Last edited: