What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last night Wallaby loss shows why Union the inferior game

Thought I'd have a brief anti-Rugby rant on the heels of last night's game.

If that was anything to go by, League has daylight second as far as quality goes.

An anticipated international, which was, ho hum, yet again, decided by penalty goals.

No matter that the only team that actually managed to cross the line, got beat by Johnny "yawn' Wilkinson and his god-awful-boring time-consuming conversions.

The most ridiculous thing about it all for mine, is the penalties.

9-4 to England - so be it.

But the Rucks, Mauls and Scrums are so messy and the rules so complicated, that the penalties are so friggin arbitrary (in fact so much so, that Ch 7 coverage use to have to explain them via on screen text)

Australia played poor, England were a bore, the English fans (god bless them) lapped it up, as they have very little to cheer for, and ultimately . . .

the winner is Rugby League, if that sh*te is anything to go by.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
another aussie with sour grapes :lol:

all of a sudden now the aussies and the kiwis are out "they dont care about winning"

south africa to take home rugbys biggest prize

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
another aussie with sour grapes :lol:

all of a sudden now the aussies and the kiwis are out "they dont care about winning"

south africa to take home rugbys biggest prize

No sour grapes.

We didn't deserve to win . . . then again neither did England.

I hope Argentina win it for the novelty factor, other than that I hope for the Springboks.

Poul

Juniors
I haven't watched any full matches from the yawnion wc, but the bits that I have seen have been fairly ordinary.
With the demise of the wallybees :lol: and the All Blacks :? , what is the best outcome in the yawnion wc for Rugby League? Before the yawnfest began, I was of the opinion that a springboks v All Blacks final, with the springboks winning in a dour penalty and field goal infected game would be the best for Rugby League. Now I am hoping that it is the springboks v England, in a very dull penalty goal shoot out. I really hope that the Vichy collaborationist XV don't get the opportunity to win or even play in the yawnion wc final, as this may have a significant detrimental effect on Rugby League in France.
I never thought I would say it, but ...... go Springboks :sarcasm:

parra pete

Referee
59,000 at England v Aust in France, Full house at Cardiff All Blacks v Frogs.
Bet League wished its game was similar type sh*t so it could attract figures like those.
The game MUST have something to draw the crowds..

Johns Magic

Referee
At least union can actually have a World Cup that involves more than three nations.

In the league World Cup there's no way New Zealand and Australia would be knocked out by the semis. Who would England play in the grand-final? Malta? Lebanon?

Even if you don't like Union, you have to admire the competitiveness of their World Cup.

Lego_Man

First Grade
League could easily in that position if it hadnt been crippled for 100 years by the (union-loving) establishment. You heard what happened under the Vichy regime in France...

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
They turn up for those matches for some reason, but they don't turn up for club games, they are all bandwagoners who probably don't even like the game.

Sucked in Wallabies and all chokes.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Johns Magic said:
At least union can actually have a World Cup that involves more than three nations.

In the league World Cup there's no way New Zealand and Australia would be knocked out by the semis. Who would England play in the grand-final? Malta? Lebanon?

Even if you don't like Union, you have to admire the competitiveness of their World Cup.

Well Australia and NZ nearly got knocked out in the last RLWC in 2000 before the final, shows how much you know. :roll:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
We could do more for nations other than Australia, England, NZL, but it appears the International RL dont give a sh*tt.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Thats ignorant JM. France and PNG have a fighting chance, and the likes of Fiji and Tonga are coming on well. The problem is that RL is professional in NZ, Aust and Eng and they use the facilities to the full extent by becoming superior athletes - this means the semi-pros in developing countries are at an immediate disadvantage.

This isn't a problem in Union... case in point, the likes of Dunning.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
ParraEelsNRL said:
Well Australia and NZ nearly got knocked out in the last RLWC in 2000 before the final, shows how much you know. :roll:

I remember Wales gave us a fright, I think they led 22-8 at one stage.

Johns Magic

Referee
ParraEelsNRL said:

Ummm, Australia's smallest winning margin all tournament was 20 points against England.

New Zealand's smallest winning margin all tournament was by 40 points. Their only loss came in the grand-final against Australia(which Australia won by just 28 points)

In summary, what the f**k are you talking about?

Johns Magic

Referee
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
Thats ignorant JM. France and PNG have a fighting chance, and the likes of Fiji and Tonga are coming on well. The problem is that RL is professional in NZ, Aust and Eng and they use the facilities to the full extent by becoming superior athletes - this means the semi-pros in developing countries are at an immediate disadvantage.

This isn't a problem in Union... case in point, the likes of Dunning.

How many times have France or PNG beaten Australia? Or beaten England? Or beaten New Zealand?

The reasons why the other nations can't compete with those three are besides the point.

Your "point" about Dunning highlights your ignorance.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
union has a great international game. there is no way in league a team ranked 7th like england, could beat a team ranked 2nd like australia.

The RLWC is a 3 horse race, and thats being generous. Ud give a 1000/1 odds on another country outside the big 3 in league making the final

gurl_child

Juniors
I am not a fan of Rugby Union so I easily think that its inferior to NRL footy. Besides if the Aussies lose it may hurt a few ppls prides but they weren't the better team at the time its simple as that.