What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last night Wallaby loss shows why Union the inferior game

Thomas

First Grade
Different kind of Rabbit said:
The argument about which code is more competitive at the international level means bugger all. At the end of the day, League is a much better game and here is why:

1) Less Stoppages
2) Less involvement from the officials
3) Less confusing rules
4) Better scrum, (yes I agree that in pronciple, union scrums are more competitive but in practice, more than half end up in a stoppage. They take forever to set and get right and usually just result in penalties)
5) Better scoring system. (3 points for penalties and drop goals FFS! Where is the encouragement for teams to be entertaining and actually try to get over the try line!)
6) Better onside rule (10 metres allow's playmakers more time to weave some magic result is a more open and entertaining game)
7) Less reliance on kicking.

These are just 7 reasons that I have thought of in less than a minute. If I actually applied myself I could write an absolute thesis. 100 years ago people realised that Union had some issues so Rugby League was invented. 100 years later, the game invented to be better than Union, still is. If only the administration and promotion of Rugby League were as good as Union? This is the only thing that lets the game down IMO.

Eh?

There's a huge reliance on kicking in RL. There's a kick in every set of 6 95% of the time.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Thomas is a blue collar a they come.

He plays rugby union with guys in his team who are pavers and axe murderers.

Thomas

First Grade
Serial dog botherers too Kurt.

Don't forget Wayne "Spaniel" Curruthers. He shouldn't be left out.

Johns Magic

Referee
Nook said:
Johns Magic,

So you're not going to answer the questions? Didn't think so.

Nah, what you mean is "despite my dopey mutterings about how competitive Union is at the top level vis a vis the all conquering Kangaroos in RL, proud Union nations Ireland and Argentina have never actually beaten the All Blacks."

LOL

What point would that be?

I did answer the question you f**king gronk. If you couldn't see that from when I re-phrased what I said then you need some serious help.

The point was that the "top 5" union nations don't beat every team outside that top 5 every time they play them. Of course when I say the "top 5" nations I am referring to them as a group rather than as 5 single nations, much in the same way I was referred to league's "top 3" before.

Anyway, another great result for international league today. As much as I want to see it develop, that scoreline between the top two teams is bad news for the code.

Nook

Bench
I did answer the question you f**king gronk.

Watch the language sunshine

And no, you didn't - you just asked yourself a fresh one

The point was that the "top 5" union nations don't beat every team outside that top 5 every time they play them. Of course when I say the "top 5" nations I am referring to them as a group rather than as 5 single nations, much in the same way I was referred to league's "top 3" before.

What a load of crap. You can waffle all you like about top fives and how competitive it all is - fact of the matter is a couple of the teams you mentioned have never, ever beaten the best Union team in the world. Not such a great example.

Anyway, another great result for international league today. As much as I want to see it develop, that scoreline between the top two teams is bad news for the code.

Wow, deathriding international rugby league for the sake of a forum argument. You must be so proud.

vikingstorm

Juniors
parra pete said:
59,000 at England v Aust in France, Full house at Cardiff All Blacks v Frogs.
Bet League wished its game was similar type sh*t so it could attract figures like those.
The game MUST have something to draw the crowds..

Unfortunately Pal, its a corporate w$nk Fest. Last Week I got a call inviting me once again to the England Union match in Paris- I turned it down on the basis that I am not a Union fan.
I did however go to watch England V S Africa about 4 weeks ago because a Good friend (The MD of a French business) invited me

It was Pure Tedium, but I was surrounded by Fellow corporate conspirators. Union can sure attract these guys, but they aint Fans mate, they are just corporate Ass lickers

League is a far better spectacle. As I have climed the corporate ladder, I have found myself surrounded by Dick Heads, and most of them seem to be Union fans. I play the game whilst in the 9 to 5, but I see their Slimey sport for what it really is

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
vikingstorm said:
Unfortunately Pal, its a corporate w$nk Fest. Last Week I got a call inviting me once again to the England Union match in Paris- I turned it down on the basis that I am not a Union fan.
I did however go to watch England V S Africa about 4 weeks ago because a Good friend (The MD of a French business) invited me

It was Pure Tedium, but I was surrounded by Fellow corporate conspirators. Union can sure attract these guys, but they aint Fans mate, they are just corporate Ass lickers

League is a far better spectacle. As I have climed the corporate ladder, I have found myself surrounded by Dick Heads, and most of them seem to be Union fans. I play the game whilst in the 9 to 5, but I see their Slimey sport for what it really is

what would happen if you told them your thoughts on the game? do you tell them about league?

Woods99

Juniors
vikingstorm said:

Vikingstorm = Walter Mitty. Nobody who spells and writes as poorly as you has ever climbed a corporate ladder.