What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

Mr Spock!

Referee
So let me get this straight.

If you were selling something and one person offered you $400 and someone else offered you $950 you'd shortchange yourself?
Thats not how the nrl determines market value.

In the Mitchell case its what if someone offered you $400 and someone else offered $950 then pulled their offer.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Btw Joseph Manu just signed for 550K for the Roosters.

That's a steal.

You can't tell me he didn't have better offers.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
It must be frustrating when 2 failed clubs sell their history out and take Murdoch's money just to become another failed club.
Well, we have won as many premierships in the last 45+ years as another foundation club that sold out to a Hollywood star of years gone by. I'd say souffs fans would certainly know how it feels.

grouch

First Grade
We do not pretend to be the peoples club, sticking up for the little bloke.

Never pretended that once.

You lied then sold out.

We are still a club, look it up.

Should have merged with Saints......pfft the peoples sell outs.

Did you march in the street so rich men own you...

We are still a club, look it up.

Not suprised you live in denial. Your entire entity, sold out.
Who else remembers when the Sharks agreed to sell their club to this guy, only for the NSWRL to refuse permission? Probably the right choice by the league, since a few years later he'd be jailed for hiring famed hitman Christopher Dale Flannery to assault a former patient.
edelsten-sharks-vomit.jpg

SBD82

Coach
I hate to tell you that South's is not one of the successful clubs!
Come on mate. Don’t be like that.

1 premiership in the NRL era puts them in the esteemed company of the Cowboys, Dragons, Bulldogs, Sharks, Tigers, knights and Panthers. All powerhouse clubs.

And it also puts them ahead of the hugely successful Eels, titans and Warriors.

If that ain’t success, I don’t know what is.

Valheru

Coach
The market value stuff doesn't fly for me, we can't be in a situation where a player has to take an offer from club x because they offered 50k more than club y. Players have a right to a preference.

The key issue here as usual is the inconsistency of the NRL which yet again has favoured souths

Perth Red

Post Whore
The market value stuff doesn't fly for me, we can't be in a situation where a player has to take an offer from club x because they offered 50k more than club y. Players have a right to a preference.

The key issue here as usual is the inconsistency of the NRL which yet again has favoured souths

Were not talking $50k though are we? we are talking $300k plus a year (allegedly)which is significantly different. I can see a player who turns down an offer from his successful existing club because he thinks he's worth more money not moving for $50k but not moving for $300k when he has stated money is the motivating factor for moving? Something smells a little bit fishy.
If the media are to be believed:

Roosters offer $800k, he wants more
Wests offer $1mill for 4 years he says no
Souths offer equivalent of $700k and just one year, he says yes

hmmm either he has the worse manager of all time or something very iffy is afoot. What doesn't wash is his motivation for moving going from money to "refinding his love for the game" lol

Last edited:

Tiger5150

Bench

I agree with this and of course Latrell should be free to accept less to go to Souffs. Based on recent success, and the indigenous links, Souffs are a more attractive destination and therefore TIGERS HAVE TO OFFER MORE.

This is where it gets tricky and involves the NRL because how much more is enough for Latrell (or anyone) to reconsider. THere is a point at which the player will switch to money. The purpose of the NRL rule is that if there is a clear discrepancy then it is also clear that there is probably shenanigans going on outside of the cap.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree with this and of course Latrell should be free to accept less to go to Souffs. Based on recent success, and the indigenous links, Souffs are a more attractive destination and therefore TIGERS HAVE TO OFFER MORE.

This is where it gets tricky and involves the NRL because how much more is enough for Latrell (or anyone) to reconsider. THere is a point at which the player will switch to money. The purpose of the NRL rule is that if there is a clear discrepancy then it is also clear that there is probably shenanigans going on outside of the cap.

Not just money but term as well. If he suffers a career ending neck injury this season he would have got his $4mill from Tigers, if it happens at Souths he wont get anything next year. You would think that would be a big consideration in a high impact sport like RL?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Not just money but term as well. If he suffers a career ending neck injury this season he would have got his $4mill from Tigers, if it happens at Souths he wont get anything next year. You would think that would be a big consideration in a high impact sport like RL?
The main difference would be that the tigers would have to pay someone to photocopy stuff and still have the money counted towards the salary cap...

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
If it happens at souffs won’t he get an administrative role for $800k pa?

simmo05

Bench
Not necessarily...

I have a work colleague who went through a divorce recently. Her and her ex husband had two houses and they decided to keep one each and split the difference on the average valuations. They had three valuers come out and give valuations on each of the two houses. On one of the houses, the difference between high and low was something like $150k.

Besides, plenty of people have bought a house at Auction only to find that their pre-approved finance gets knocked back because the bank doesn't value their house at anywhere near what the buyer has paid for it.

So... Back to your original analogy... A house in Sydney is worth whatever someone is willing to pay as long as they have that money up front and this is pretty rare.

If you're financing the place then it's worth whatever the bank decides they're happy to lend you for it.
Fair enough, good response mate

simmo05

Bench
T

This is the entire issue in a nutshell

nick87

Coach

Indeed
I have no idea why the NRL got themselves involved in dealings between club and player on the basis of market value but they've got to be all the way in and apply it fairly across all clubs, or all the way the f**k out and let players and clubs come to arrangements as both parties see fit and investigate where you see fit

THE CHAMP

First Grade

When souffs get favoured consistently wouldn’t that make it consistent?