What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Le Tour

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
Bitter sweet about last nights stage. Hard to see Cadel give up yellow, but as the commentators keep saying his team is not that strong so it will be good when he doesn't have all the pressure on him.

At least he is by far the best time trialist out of all the serious contenders.

Jimbo

Immortal
Another great result for Cadel last night, with Menchov and Vandevelde losing time. Those guys are the bigger risk in Saturday's time-trial, so to go further ahead of them is great news

Tonight's stage will decide the tour - 210km over three uncategorised climbs finishing with L'Alpe d'Huez. Schleck and Kohl will have to put at least two minutes on Evans, otherwise he will run them down in the time trial

Jimbo

Immortal
A time trial at the end of le tour is very different as we saw last year when Cadel couldn't reel in contador. Advantage Sastre.

It's exactly the same as last year, only Cadel is chasing an easier target in Sastre this time

Saturday night will be big...

B-dos

Referee
so what do you think jimbo? Cadel's 1min30s behind or thereabouts isnt he? Thats quite a bit to peg back, can he do it?

his lead over Menchov is the key?

Last edited:

ledzep

Bench
Cadel's currently 1'34'' behind
In the first time trial, which was only 29km, Evans gained 1'22'' on Sastre
This next one's 53km, so based on that, Cadel certainly has a very good shot at overhauling him

Jimbo

Immortal
Cadel is currently 1'34" behind Sastre, 10" behind Schleck and 1" behind Kohl

He is 1'05" ahead of Menchov, and 3'07" ahead of Vandevelde

In the first time trial he beat Sastre by 1'16", Schleck by 1'47", Kohl by 1'20", Menchov by 07" and Vandevelde by 10"

Which means he is faster than the guys behind him, and much faster than the guys ahead of him

Sastre is the only real danger thanks to his performance last night, but we don't know how much it took out of him

I'm tipping Cadel by about half a minute, with nobody else closer than two minutes

MuleEel

Juniors
I think Cadel lacks acceleration and that was what made the difference last night for Sastra. However Cadel can maintain his speed over long distances and I wonder if Sastra can do that. In other words without his team to support him and with 50 odd KMs to negotiate I think we may find Sastra's effort last night is a flash in the pan. Pure speculation. I doubt Sastra has enough time on Cadel.

The General

Juniors
Why is it that the last couple of stages before the time trial mean almost nothing for the leaders of the tour? How come they usually don't make up any time on these stages?

I'm only a really casual observer of cycling and this has got me confused.

MuleEel

Juniors
there is no attempt to make up time as each contender knows how well marked they are by the opposing teams. It is not like Cadel could sneak out front and then slip away on the sly without team csc noticing. Breakaways are very hard on the flats unless no one cares about you breaking away. Consequently I think there is more or less an agreement not to bother trying. If there was a crash of an opportunity to leave someone behind they would be ready to pounce, however, I think everyone is just in agreeance that it is best to conserve energy for the time trial.
There would possibly be some chance of grabing a second or two in a sprint to the line - that is about it though.

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
I thought the whole Pelaton got the same time from first to last in there on a flat. Plus now there are no time bonuses in this tour so I dont think the winner gets any seperation.

roopy

Referee
Apparently cadel rides at 12.15, which is a bugger because i need to be up around 8.30 in the morning to make the NSW cup game tomorrow - so 1.30 am is going to mean maybe 6 hours sleep for me if i don't fall asleep quickly.

ledzep

Bench
Apparently cadel rides at 12.15, which is a bugger because i need to be up around 8.30 in the morning to make the NSW cup game tomorrow - so 1.30 am is going to mean maybe 6 hours sleep for me if i don't fall asleep quickly.
welcome to my life for the past week

Big Mick

Referee
Far out what a waste of watching for 3 weeks...deadset.

Simple fact...CSC sh*ts on Lotto...pretty simple.

The Schlek brothers are awesome and if Andy doesn't win a tour de france I will give up.

Latest posts