What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League kicks bottom in ratings

bartman

Immortal
Now somehow we just have to get the Sydney newspapers reflecting coverage of sports equal to their proven TV ratings. They still persist in using coverage in excess of what is merited to try and build interest in the other two sports despite league having more interest and support. (And to think one of the papers is owned by the mob that half owns our game...)

Brutus

Referee
bartman said:
Now somehow we just have to get the Sydney newspapers reflecting coverage of sports equal to their proven TV ratings. They still persist in using coverage in excess of what is merited to try and build interest in the other two sports despite league having more interest and support. (And to think one of the papers is owned by the mob that half owns our game...)

You would have thought the last Bledislow Cup match was the biggest event of the year with the way they all went on about it (the papers). You then see the ratings and find out that one of seven club rugby league matches (parra b Bris) absolutley smashes it in the ratings. I've also heard the Sunday Knights v Dragons game rated well up there with FNF as well.

AFL and Union don't come anywhere league in Sydney as we all know, yet the papers keep pumping them up in a massive way.

Green Machine

First Grade
Somehow, I don’t think Telstra Stadium would have wanted the Swans to move back to the SCG. Telstra Stadium would have preferred to have both games on over the weekend. Losing an AFL Final's match, is a loss in potential revenue for the stadium. Very embarrassing last time, when the Bulldogs were forced to move to the Showground for a finals match, to make way for the Swans. Telstra Stadium’s problem is they need to have the AFL on first on a weekend, because of the movable stands. By having the Rugby League on second, they can move the stands in after the AFL game. I think in the end, it would have been pressure from the major tenant, the NRL. And about time the NRL stopped falling over helping other sports. Things seemed to be changing for the AFL. Was it last year, that they wanted the ARU to move the Bledisloe Cup for a Swans match at Telstra Stadium,

nuggles

Juniors
The Sydney Morning Herlad acts as if anyone actually cares about Rugby union.
Maybe that's why their circulation is so low.

Green Machine

First Grade
nuggles said:
The Sydney Morning Herlad acts as if anyone actually cares about Rugby union.
Maybe that's why their circulation is so low.
I don’t think it is only the Fairfax press that gives an odd balance of sport in Sydney. The both Sunday papers use Rugby League to sell their product. In the Sunday Telegraph Sport liftout on the weekend, they had an NRL picture on the front cover (to get you in), AFL and Union fan Rebecca Wilson first page in and the next page (which is their lead story) was how unlucky the Swans were on Friday night. This from a sport that run last in the ratings,

Brutus

Referee
Green Machine said:
I don’t think it is only the Fairfax press that gives an odd balance of sport in Sydney. The both Sunday papers use Rugby League to sell their product. In the Sunday Telegraph Sport liftout on the weekend, they had an NRL picture on the front cover (to get you in), AFL and Union fan Rebecca Wilson first page in and the next page (which is their lead story) was how unlucky the Swans were on Friday night. This from a sport that run last in the ratings,

I can't work that out. That Sunday paper loves to shove AFL and union in our faces after sucking us in with a league picture on the front. Pathetic.

That and the Rebecca Wilson factor are reasons why I don't buy that sh*t any more.

taipan

Referee
the thing that gets up my armpits,the sun herald every week has more pages either 8 or 7 against the sunday telegraph(as in News Ltd as in NRL) 7 or 6 respectively.

Usually in the Sunday telegraph,part of the league coverage includes an alleged atrocity or atrocities by league players,or who is being chased by union,or about a union player with a league background.Then of course we have the rebecca wilson crap dealt to us like a deck of cards each week, getting pride of place on the 2nd page-such quality:lol:
Wonder if she attended the Dally Ms last night, because sure as hell,there will be some mention of a player having the hide to pick his nose in public.

El Diablo

Post Whore
2GB said last nights game averaged 444,000 in Sydney and the Swans averaged 209,000. I think they said the channel 7 movie beat the Swans.

ucantseeme

Juniors
At the end of the Deadset Legends on MMM fm this morning, Ray Warren said that at 9.15pm last night the NRL had 588,000 viewers and the AFL had 88,000 and the Ashes had 220,000 in Sydney.

Although the Swans crowd at the SCG was 39,000 compared to 26,000 for the Tigers, I think it is clear who won the night. NRL.

I must say I am miffed that on todays telegraph the front page main picture was of some Swans players with a smaller pic of Brett Hodgson down in the corner. It should have been the other way around.

It is perplexing how Swans can get a sellout crowd yet get such poor tv ratings for a final.

grayham

Juniors
Actually, the Channel 7 movie beat the NRL final.

Beating the AFL is one thing (although it seems most NRL viewers switched over once the league was finished), but to have a final match beaten by a 15 year old movie is embarrasing.

Channel 9 would be livid.

El Diablo

Post Whore

pcpp

Juniors
The NRL Final (Brisbane v Melbourne) was the highest rating final for any code on the East Coast of Australia.

It rated 891,000 viewers (East Coast) despite being shown at 6:30pm in Sydney and Brisbane and 11:30pm in Melbourne.

The second highest rating final of the East Coast was a SEMI-FINAL with the Swans and Geelong, rating 805,000 viewers despite being shown LIVE in ALL three East Coast markets.

El Diablo

Post Whore
grayham said:
With selective editing by channel 9. Did you expect anything else from 9 ?

no selective editing. that is the report they get from Oztam

could you be any stupider.