What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League players and the Comm/Olympic Games

WAPAU

Juniors
According to your mate Te Haha France and the Wallabies havent won diddly, so they must be the same.

Who is Te Haha?

If it is run for the benefit only of Yawnion, no. Rugby can be 2 codes, remember. That said, off season, playing in a team of Leagies, fine.

It would only ever be run for the benefit of the Australian olympic team.

Would you be happy for the cream of your Bledisloe players pull out and play for different clubs in an NRL finals series?

Why is that a relevant comparison. More relevant would be to ask would I be happy for wallabies players to take some time away from super 15 to represent Australia at the olympic games. Yes I would.

Loudstrat

Coach
Having to stand up, get square and play the ball slows 7's down. Better that the tackled player can place it whilst on the ground and get the game moving. Same with turnovers. Six guaranteed possessions is a guaranteed try in 7's every time.
I must have missed where anyone said anything about changing the rules.

Who is Te Haha?
You serious? You havent read this thread much have you

It would only ever be run for the benefit of the Australian olympic team.
Rubbish. Olympic teams are made up of athletes wantingto do the best in their sport, and the rules, officials and overall running of each sport is up to the administrators of that sport. These sports use the Olympics to raise their profile, even sports like Soccer and Tennis.

So who will referee the tournament - and what will the rules be. If it's Union 7's rules, then Union is in charge.

What we are saying is that if that sport wishes to use our name, our players should be eligible for selection. And that depends on their club contracts as to weather they can represent if they choose to.

Which is all clouding the original issue, which is the strength of a sevens side made up of the elite NRL playing against the Union 7's.

Why is that a relevant comparison. More relevant would be to ask would I be happy for wallabies players to take some time away from super 15 to represent Australia at the olympic games. Yes I would.
Playing League? I bet you wouldnt. Besides, Super 15 is hardly as important as the NRL, because it's only a short term provincial based comp anyway.

Loudstrat

Coach
:lol: Im talking about what's happened here on planet Earth.

Perth Red was talking about changing SPORTS you stupid inbred Volvo driving yuppie!!!!!!!!!

Teddyboy

First Grade
So, after 19 pages of trolling, is there an indication on whether League players will be allowed to play Sevens and trial for the Olympics?

I know a few American guys who have been wondering the same with NFL players.

That be interesting seeing NFL/CFL/College guys in 7's.

Loudstrat

Coach
So when you posted that what were you referring to?
Parra, I know you operate with a Union type brain - ie slow - but ffs keep up!

THIS is how it unfolded..........
I am pretty sure that RL Sevens or Nines will be a demonstration sport at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, if they win their bid. That would be an event for those Games only.

Not unless RL 7's or 9's is actually played! We need to bring back the pre season World 9's and also have a mid season club 9's comp in each country. Then we may have a claim to it being played at the C'wealth games.

Sevens, mate. Nines was played once and no one knew about it. Sevens was the real deal.

Geddit yet knob?

Brad Thorn best player ever in both codes huh? :lol:lol:

Usain Bolt

Bench
LOLstralia must be in huge trouble if most of their top athletes go to rugby league and they aren't even World Champs. Sums up what a "Top Australian athlete" is.

WAPAU

Juniors
Rubbish. Olympic teams are made up of athletes wantingto do the best in their sport, and the rules, officials and overall running of each sport is up to the administrators of that sport. These sports use the Olympics to raise their profile, even sports like Soccer and Tennis.

So who will referee the tournament - and what will the rules be. If it's Union 7's rules, then Union is in charge.

Even though the aru will no doubt be involved, when it comes to things like the comm/olypic games, the 7's team is sent off to the ais to trial and train. I suspect beyond providing coaches and some other support staff, the australian olympic 7's team will be mostly funded and run by the AIS/AOC.

What we are saying is that if that sport wishes to use our name, our players should be eligible for selection. And that depends on their club contracts as to weather they can represent if they choose to.

So you do agree that they if league players so desire and are willing to take time away from league to trial and train, they should go for it, even though they are playing rugby union 7's. And at the end of the games when they come home(hopefully gold medallists) they will come straight back to league.

Playing League? I bet you wouldnt.

Its a null point, because there is no incentive for rugby union players to turn to league 7's, as it is hardly played seriously and not a comm/olympic sport.

Loudstrat

Coach
Moot point, because the Union would have a hissy at such a suggestion, but if, say, an Olymics was held in June, they should be able to have a month off, represent Australia (wearing the Kangaroos jersey), smash all opposition, win gold and be back in time for the run in to the finals.

As for your null point - it's a hypothetical. The Union boys would never cope.

Parra

Referee
Parra, I know you operate with a Union type brain - ie slow - but ffs keep up!

THIS is how it unfolded..........

Geddit yet knob?

Brad Thorn best player ever in both codes huh?:

Exactly. You were talking about league 7s & 9s. You've started posting so much crap you've forgotten what you are doing.

You are the only person who has suggested that Brad Thorn is the best player.

Read a bit slower. None of the posts here are that complicated.

Loudstrat

Coach
I'm glad you understand what we were discussing. Finally.

Nice too see you backtrack from your "Thorn is the best ever" line of dribbling. It would be nice to admit it though. Hypocrisy tends to damage your cred, but as a Union fan trolling a League site, you have f*ck all cred anyway.

Parra

Referee
I'm glad you understand what we were discussing. Finally.

Nice too see you backtrack from your "Thorn is the best ever" line of dribbling. It would be nice to admit it though. Hypocrisy tends to damage your cred, but as a Union fan trolling a League site, you have f*ck all cred anyway.

You are usually easy to ignore. But when you post lies you'll get called out every time.

As you you calling anyone else a troll......

You are usually easy to ignore. But when you post lies you'll get called out every time.

As you you calling anyone else a troll......

Seriously, it's just not that difficult to understand.

A Rugby League fan defending Rugby League on a Rugby League website is not a troll.

A Rugby Union fan defending Rugby Union on a Rugby League website can most certainly be considered a troll.

Loudstrat

Coach
It his achievements in both codes that make him a legend. His record in either one alone, while still special, can be matched. The fact he has won everything there is to win in both codes is a record that wont be matched. Incredible effort. Achieving what he has a second rower makes it moreso.

You are basing your assessment of his achievements on his record, right?

You are saying that no player - past or present - can match his record?

If you are not saying he's the best of all time, please explain how a player can be better by not 'achieving' as much?

Parra

Referee
Read and understand his record. Make it easy on yourself, think of it as his trophy cabinet.

Then come back with some comparisons if you still think I am wrong.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Read and understand his record. Make it easy on yourself, think of it as his trophy cabinet.

So if a current all blick who has won every trophy possible in the last 3-4 years signs up with an NRL for next season, wins a GF, plays for a winning Kiwi side, then wins the title again the following year plus holds up the RLWC in England, he would have done less than B Thorn?

Loudstrat

Coach
So you still think he's the best ever, if you merely judge on 'records'. BTW, Cronulla have a trophy cabinet
How many ore do you want ffs???? Is Ray Price, Michael O'Connor, Andrew Leeds, Brett Papworth, the Thornett brothers, Ken Kearney and Dally Messenger not enough?

Here's another one. Ewen McGrady. Unlike Thorn, he won an individual award.

Parra

Referee
So if a current all blick who has won every trophy possible in the last 3-4 years signs up with an NRL for next season, wins a GF, plays for a winning Kiwi side, then wins the title again the following year plus holds up the RLWC in England, he would have done less than B Thorn?

I wouldn't say that.