What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League stars in campus ruckus

Spike

First Grade
February 21, 2005
AN NRL club will today launch a full investigation into an alcohol-fuelled rampage through a university dormitory.

The Daily Telegraph has learned Newcastle Knights players were involved in drunken incidents in the dormitory at NSW's Charles Sturt University in Bathurst on Sunday morning.
One player allegedly burst into a dorm, straddled a female and put his hands down her pants.

The dormitory contacted the club's management yesterday to lodge an official complaint about the behaviour of four players.

Advertisement:
Newcastle had been in Bathurst for a pre-season match on Saturday night.

The players involved could face fines or suspension, although Knights officials have been told the matter was "relatively minor".

"The club is aware of a complaint made against some of our players regarding an alleged incident on Sunday morning," Newcastle chief executive Ken Conway said last night.

"We understand it is of a relatively minor nature. However the club takes a dim view of any break of the code of conduct and we will investigate the matter fully."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said: "At this stage, we will wait for the Knights to respond to the allegations and keep us advised of developments."

The incident began about 3am yesterday when two Knights players were invited to the dormitory by a group of fans.

The two players were said to have been well-behaved and left as residents went to sleep.

But they returned at 5am, bringing two more Knights players with them.

While the first pair continued to be well-behaved, the two new-comers let off a fire extinguisher damaging a few bicycles, and knocking on doors.

And some girls experienced offensive behaviour as the players tried to force their way into the rooms.

"One of the guys came to my door, was banging on it asking me if I was single, if I had any other friends who were single," one girl said yesterday.

A number of girls also told how the men came into their rooms, jumped on beds and straddled them.

Another said her friend was indecently touched by one of the Knights players.

"He put his hands down her pants and said: 'Roll over, I know you want to'," her friend said yesterday.

The students told how the players also ate food that was in their rooms and the kitchen.

"Security guards even chased a guy up the street in his undies, because he'd left his clothes in one of the rooms," another shocked student said.

It's understood many of the students had been been watching the game and attended post-match drinks.

The campus facilities manager contacted Knights management yesterday to discuss the incident.

It was reported to police by the campus' facilities manager yesterday, but the university did not wish for any further action to be taken.

Daily Telegraph

Spike

First Grade
Ahhh there's nothing like a good drunken dorm panty run :lol:

Although I feel the Knights management will investigate and deal with it appropriately, this is not the kind of publicity that the Knights and the game of rugby league needs.

Alex28

Coach
For f*** sake...

I don't care who the player in question is - get rid of him now. The club is apparently "this close" (insert picture of index finger and thumb really close together) to signing a major sponsor, and now we have this rubbish occurring - particularly after last years incidents and all the work the NRL have put into cleaning up the reputation of the game.

I know there is bugger all to do at Bathurst, but surely they could have done better than this...

John_Travolta

Juniors
Well, and just when you thought the players were smartening up their acts on and off the field...... **disgusting behavior**

this is a pretty serious matter given the reputation received from previous seasons. I sincerely hope nothing happened, for the future of rugby league, newcastle knights and people involved. Just think of the image Bulldog players and fans get now, even though nothing was ever proven. Do we want that for our team??? I dont.

John_Travolta

Juniors
Yeah I can see the "Bulldogs fans" running riot thru Bankstown square today mouthing off at Knights fans already :lol: :lol:

antonius

Coach
I'm with Alex here, if there is any truth in this they should sack the players involved no matter who they are, they would have to be brain dead morons to do what is alledged to have happened. Just what we need our new sponsor to be reading in the paper, and watching on TV isn't it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Andy

First Grade
The players were probably thinking "If we do exactly what the Bulldogs did last year, we'll win the premiership!" :lol:

IanG

Coach
antonius said:
I'm with Alex here, if there is any truth in this they should sack the players involved no matter who they are, they would have to be brain dead morons to do what is alledged to have happened. Just what we need our new sponsor to be reading in the paper, and watching on TV isn't it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I agree Tony. This is the second consecutive year that this sort of thing has happned during a trip to a pre-season trial game. If this is gonna happen all the time then maybe they should look at scrapping them.

Well as andy said in another thread :lol: :lol: we are wanting to win the premierships next season :lol: :lol: so we had to do what the bulldoggies did to get there.

Create a ruckus

Well if it is true, then the offendeds will be deal with in an app way :?

:eek:

~bedsy~

First Grade
I am so dissapointed right now.
As I have said a million times they are grown men and know better than this. I was dissgusted that they had to have a course on this last yr, I'm even more dissgusted at this now.

IanG

Coach
Knights_fan13 said:
Well as andy said in another thread :lol: :lol: we are wanting to win the premierships next season :lol: :lol: so we had to do what the bulldoggies did to get there.

Create a ruckus

Well if it is true, then the offendeds will be deal with in an app way :?

:eek:

True however we still don't have a major sponsor. This was the last thing the club needs.

I have no doubt that the Knights club will deal with this appropriatly.

Shifty

Juniors
Right now it's purely the media's version of events, don't speculate wait for it to be investigated.

we still don't have a major sponsor and the season starts in 18 days :shock:

I guess the boys f**ked up, cause if anyone was even thinking of sponsoring us they may look twice at that now, because of this stunt they pulled :arrow:

IanG

Coach
Shifty said:
Right now it's purely the media's version of events, don't speculate wait for it to be investigated.
Well I certainly hope there is no truth to it.

Kaz

junior
I just feel sorry for the other players who weren't involved in this.

As there will be speculation on who it was.

Latest posts