What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Unlimited's Favourite Movie

Misanthrope

Staff member
Departed: Still haven't seen it. It is on my movie shelf yet still not given it a go.

Inception: I have no real interest in seeing it. Another movie on my shelf that I have not viewed.

Life of Brian: Only saw it in full about three years ago....very funny.

Blade Runner: I gave it a go many years ago and turned it off fairly quickly. I have to give it another chance.

Silence of the Lambs: This movie had an unbelievable amount of hype...and it actually delivered on the hype. Everything about this movie was outstanding. What few talk about was the underrated performance of Ted Levine as Buffalo Bill......very good character actor.

Do yourself a favour and see Infernal Affairs before seeing The Departed.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Good spread of decades there. These all hyped movies to be honest - 3 academy award winners and 2 cult classics

Departed - still haven't seen. NOt sure why - maybe I'm not a big dircaprio fan
Inception - great original mindf--k of a story that you can get lost it, great effects although characters were not that memorable.
LIfe of Brian - maybe cos its overhyped but I can never really get into this. Feels like a bunch of wacky skits loosely tied together.
Blade runner - in my top 5 Just love the sci fi noir, the visuals and special effects way ahead of its time and a great story. Okay even I questioned the "romance" back then. Why don't people like this film? Is it because its slow going, that its a bit overhyped or that its a bit of style over substance?
Silence of the Lambs - great cast and acting although not really a fan of the crime/serial killer genre.

Wizardman

First Grade
All great films in that list and favourites, with the glaring exception of one for me.

Everyone I’m sure has at least one film that is hugely popular with the wider public that for whatever reason you just don’t like. One of mine is Bladerunner. My mates would howl me down about it all the time. But I can appreciate why it’s a favourite and so popular with many folk.

Inception was in my 30. Absolutely brilliant film, I always love watching something unique, surreal and where I have no idea where the plot will go. Inception is one of those.
I gotta say that atm, Im in the same camp as you regarding Blade Runner. Mind you, I probably saw it when I was 16-17....but back then, I was a pretty patient movie watcher and still am. I just found the movie tremendously slow at the time and lost patience with it. I'll 100% give it another go though.

I gotta say that atm, Im in the same camp as you regarding Blade Runner. Mind you, I probably saw it when I was 16-17....but back then, I was a pretty patient movie watcher and still am. I just found the movie tremendously slow at the time and lost patience with it. I'll 100% give it another go though.

Same as me, I saw it in my late teens then gave it another go about 2-3 years ago. I like to give films a second chance sometimes, usually when they are a cult or classic film.

Wizardman

First Grade
Same as me, I saw it in my late teens then gave it another go about 2-3 years ago. I like to give films a second chance sometimes, usually when they are a cult or classic film.
I didn't mind "The Deer Hunter" many years ago. I gave it a rewatch about a year ago...f**k, I found it tremendously long. Deadset, they could (and should have) cut at least an hour out of that movie very easily. No way on Earth would Hollywood release a movie like "The Deer Hunter" uncut today....despite movies running longer than in the past. A lot of nothing happening in that movie.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I do fear with technology and instant gratification we can't appreciate slow movies anymore.

Not sure if I could sit through a Kubrick movie again like the Shining or 2001.

Misanthrope

Staff member
All great films in that list and favourites, with the glaring exception of one for me.

Everyone I’m sure has at least one film that is hugely popular with the wider public that for whatever reason you just don’t like. One of mine is Bladerunner. My mates would howl me down about it all the time. But I can appreciate why it’s a favourite and so popular with many folk.

Inception was in my 30. Absolutely brilliant film, I always love watching something unique, surreal and where I have no idea where the plot will go. Inception is one of those.

That is my opinion of The Godfather films. I f**king loathe them.

I saw Inception at the movies and remember thinking it was over rated. Might need to watch it again. I remember really hating the ending where it sounded like endless machine-gun fire for 30 minutes. 2/5

Haven’t seen Blade Runner.

Life of Brian. It’s ok in spots. A bit before my time. Definitely hyped and seems to get the rose-coloured glasses treatment.

Silence of the Lambs is a great film and so is The Departed.

I don’t mind a long movie if it is good. I love Godfather 2. I watched it the other day and was in a bit of a rush and cut to all the scenes in the past with De Niro. Love it.

If anyone is ever in NYC and you like this movie, make sure you visit The Tenement Museum on the lower east side. Was a highlight of the trip. Especially if you like old gangster movies I.e Once Upon a Time in America etc.

axl rose

Bench
I love the original Blade Runner but the sequel was the slowest movie I've seen. There were so many people asleep in the cinema or walking out. Im not saying it was a bad film but quite a challenge for a modern 'comic book film' audience.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I do fear with technology and instant gratification we can't appreciate slow movies anymore.

Not sure if I could sit through a Kubrick movie again like the Shining or 2001.

That mindset is what ruined The Hobbit movies IMO. They were always going to be a stretch at three movies, but the need to constantly inject random action sequences really spoiled what might have been a fun series.

Matua

Bench
I'm another in the anti Blader Runner camp, but I actually enjoyed the most recent one. I've always found the final scene in the original to comical yet everyone raves about Rutger Hauer's speech.

That is my opinion of The Godfather films. I f**king loathe them.
Damn, you and I would have fisticuffs if we were to ever meet. ;)

Although I'd pull a few punches for part 3, it's rubbish.

Plus, if it doesn't top this list then I know the fix is in!

Springs09

Juniors
The Departed, Blade Runner, Silence of the Lambs and Life of Brian are all brilliant. Blade Runner and Life of Brian are very close to the best of their respective genres. Both were in mine, leaving me with only 4 left I think.

Inception I found interesting to a point, but also found it utterly pretentious with pointlessly complex dialogue and plot points in an attempt to make a simple idea appear smarter than it really is. Nolan's films following Inception also suffer from this with Interstellar being the worst of the bunch.

Dave's mate

Juniors
The Departed, Blade Runner, Silence of the Lambs and Life of Brian are all brilliant. Blade Runner and Life of Brian are very close to the best of their respective genres. Both were in mine, leaving me with only 4 left I think.

Inception I found interesting to a point, but also found it utterly pretentious with pointlessly complex dialogue and plot points in an attempt to make a simple idea appear smarter than it really is. Nolan's films following Inception also suffer from this with Interstellar being the worst of the bunch.
Interstellar is maybe my favourite of all his films