What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Unlimited's Favourite Movie

Misanthrope

Staff member
The Lord of the Rings is ok
I suppose. Ok. Interesting enough the first time. Not awesome for mine.

I don’t think they deserve multiple episodes in the Top 30. :smirk:

Hard disagree. Combined, they're arguably my favourite 'film' of all time. In the middle of what must be my 10th or 11th series rewatch now, but Netflix doesn't have the extended cuts :(

Springs09

Juniors
They were my 1, 2 & 3. Easily the movies to have the biggest impact on my life, outside of just a good watch. Also probably the most recent movies to have had such a giant leap forward in moviemaking, technically and stroy-wise. The CGI, especially from Return of the King, holds up well today and is actually better than most CGI in modern movies, even from it's own prequels made 10 years later. CGI, in my opinion, has actually become worse, due to its overuse, shorter post-production times, better picture quality and better frame rates.

They were my 1, 2 & 3. Easily the movies to have the biggest impact on my life, outside of just a good watch. Also probably the most recent movies to have had such a giant leap forward in moviemaking, technically and stroy-wise. The CGI, especially from Return of the King, holds up well today and is actually better than most CGI in modern movies, even from it's own prequels made 10 years later. CGI, in my opinion, has actually become worse, due to its overuse, shorter post-production times, better picture quality and better frame rates.

Yep in general I avoid the CGI films, much preferring what id call “genuine” films and imagery.. eg I far more enjoy a “clunky” old set like in 70’s sci fi films that a CGI fantasy fest.

But LOTR is an outstanding exception. Can’t fault anything about it. In essence it’s a fantasy story, executed with brilliant fantasy imagery. So they’re made for each other.

I’d be interested to know who’s read the books and/or seen the film. And what they think of both..

For me, it’s the one film (trilogy) where everyone I know loves them both. A lot of the time for others it’s usually “the book is far better”.... and my theory on that is that you use your own imagery reading a book you enjoy that a movie will rarely match... so ultimately it’s never as good. Except for LOTR so they’ve done an outstanding job given the high expectations of many..

I’ve not read the books, fantasy books don’t interest me but the movies were outstanding.

Springs09

Juniors
I've read the book. I've read the other Middle-earth books too. There are a lot of pre-movies book fans who didn't like the movies, but they often complain about things that are unfeasible (Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire, the two largest parts left out of the movie, do not fit into a movie structure for example). There's quite a few changes I didn't like, Frodo and Sam in Osgiliath for one, but the movies kept the heart of the book in my opinion, and they are far more faithful than most adaptations. Most book adaptations change just about everything.
With the effects, it's telling how much practical effects they tried to use, and the painstaking work done on costumes and make-up. The orcs look outstanding, workers rubbed their fingerprints off making chainmail (most of which is unseen under other armour), every costume and weapon has intricate history and art patterns that the casual viewer isn't going to notice and is mostly for internal consistency, and the combination of landscapes and miniatures looks so much more realistic than green screen CGI backgrounds it's not funny.

The Hobbit films embody everything bad about Hollywood adaptations. Needless rubbish inserted, love stories out of nowhere, elongating a short book for more revenue, CGI everywhere instead of practical effects, the heartfelt themes of the book replaced with mindless CGI action and characters butchered to fit a modern narrative. With the Lord of the Rings, they only had three movies and they weren't given a limitless budget. They had to have discipline in making it and it really shows.

Matua

Bench
So I lied in my last post when I said that Indy was pop culture blindspot, I forgot about Lord of the Rings. Now it's not that I think they're not good, I watched then when they came out, enjoyed them enough (aside from the never ending endings), but have never ever felt the urge to see them again. Fantasy is not my thing ... I liked GoT for the politics and hated any of the fantasy stuff.

Fight Club is great, but of it's time.
Gladiatior and Forrest Gump are easy watches.
2001 is long and slow and people love it ... it's ok. Kubrick isn't my guy.

Hmmm, this post seems like I don't really like anything when I love most stuff.

Wizardman

First Grade
Fight Club: I watched some of it once when I was pissed and didn't like it. I watched it again a few years ago and got a lot more out of it. It was a good watch.
Gladiator: Once again, a movie I liked but not loved.
Forrest Gump: Hard to believe this movie won the Oscar ahead of Quiz Show, Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption and 4 Weddings and a Funeral. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the movie and there is no doubt that it is a good movie. It just came out in an incredible year.
Fellowship of the Ring: Watched it for 30 minutes and did not make an impression on me at all. I was drunk but will give it another crack.
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) : Love the director and have the movie at home. But, I have never really been willing to watch the movie.

LOTR...yawn.

Can respect the art, the acting, etc.

But not my cup of tea. Will never watch again. Fell asleep in ROTK.

Then again I love a lot of shit flicks like Ewok Adventure and Weekend At Bernies so what do I know??

Misanthrope

Staff member
LU's Favourite Movie: #15 - #11
#15 - Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) - 508 points

Director: George Lucas.
Starring: Mark Hammil, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, and Alec Guinness.
Awards: Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, Best Film Editing, Best Original Score, Best Sound, and Best Visual Effects.

Where it all began! George Lucas' seminal Star Wars (later renamed A New Hope) remains one of the most beloved space operas and film franchises in history. It has since given rise to a much-maligned prequel trilogy, a polarizing sequel trilogy, and a pair of pretty well-regarded spin-offs, as well as countless novels, video games, animated series, and the critically acclaimed Mandalorian TV series.

Taking elements of Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress and Joseph Campbell's The Heroes With a Thousand Faces, Lucas built out a fascinating universe and populated it with likeable characters pitched against a nefarious enemy. Its unique visual style, captivating soundtrack, and the instantly recognizable story made it a phenomenon.

#14 - Back to the Future (1985) - 624 points

Director: Robert Zemeckis.
Starring: Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, and Crispin Glover.
Awards: Best Sound Editing.

Another beloved throwback, Zemeckis' Back to the Future mixed Michael J. Fox's affable charm, a hefty dose of nostalgia, plenty of comedy & action, and a bitching soundtrack to create a critically acclaimed blockbuster that would go onto spawn two sequels.

It is hard to fully quantify just how large a cultural impact the film had, but you would be hard-pressed to find a film countdown that doesn't have Back to the Future high in its rankings.

#13 - Jurassic Park (1993) - 630 points

Director: Stephen Spielberg
Starring: Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Richard Attenborough, Bob Peck, Samuel L Jackson, BD Wong, and Wayne Knight.
Awards: Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Visual Effects.

From a cultural touchstone from the 80s to one from the 90s, Stephen Spielberg's adaptation of the hugely popular Michael Crichton novel of the same name was a truly massive blockbuster hit that single-handedly inspired a generation of boys and girls to an abiding fascination with dinosaurs.

Using a combination of practical effects and (at the time) cutting edge computer generated graphics, Jurassic Park avoided being all about the spectacle, with a delightfully slow build and plenty of tension before audiences were finally introduced to the terrifying velociraptors, dilophosaurus, and the anti-hero T-Rex.

The film has since spawned two average sequels, the very popular Jurassic World, and another unremarkable sequel.

#12 - Apocalypse Now (1979) - 654 points

Director
: Francis Coppola.
Starring: Martin Sheen, Robert Duvall, Marlon Brando, Dennis Hopper, and Larry Fishburne.
Awards: Best Sound and Best Cinematography.

Perhaps more than any other film about the Vietnam War, Coppola's Apocalypse Now does a fantastic job of capturing the lawless, terrifying, maddening state of Vietnam during the ill-fated war. Based on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, the film tells the story of a US soldier sent to assassinate a colonel who has gone mad in the jungle.

What follows is an often dizzying, disorienting glimpse into the madness that was the Vietnam War. Recognized today as a truly monumental feat of filmmaking, the documentary Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse is a similarly fascinating glimpse into the hell that the cast and crew underwent to birth the film.

#11 - Saving Private Ryan (1998) - 715 Points

Director
: Stephen Spielberg
Starring: Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Edward Burns, Tom Sizemore, Adam Goldberg, Vin Diesel, Giovanni Ribisi, and Barry Pepper.
Awards: Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Sound, Best Film Editing, and Best Sound Effects Editing.

Featuring one of the most ambitious and gory openings in film history, 1998's Saving Private Ryan is one of the most beloved war films of the past century. Telling the story of a group of soldiers sent to fetch back the last surviving member of a family decimated by the war, its gritty realism and a moving performance from Tom Hanks breathed new life into the war film genre while also spawning a pair of loosely related TV series: Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

Praised as both a fantastic film and a faithful depiction of the brutality of the conflict, Saving Private Ryan is seen by many as one of the finest films of all time.

Misanthrope

Staff member
All great movies.

Apocalypse Now and Saving Private are personal favourites and masterpieces for mine.

Introduced my wife to Apocalypse Now on the drive back from visiting the cu chi tunnels when we lived in Vietnam. Definitely lent it a new level of meaning to have crawled in those f**king hot, clammy tunnels for an hour before watching.

Introduced my wife to Apocalypse Now on the drive back from visiting the cu chi tunnels when we lived in Vietnam. Definitely lent it a new level of meaning to have crawled in those f**king hot, clammy tunnels for an hour before watching.

I also took my wife there on the back of my interest in the Vietnam War (or War of American Aggression :wink:) So interesting. Loved it. It might be a bit ‘snug’ for me these days though. We saw a lot of the south but didn’t get up the north which we will do one day.

Loved everything about Apocalypse Now. Took a couple of viewings to really take everything in, but I find most great movies are like that. I also loved the documentary behind the making of it.

SPR just blows you away from the first minute. This may have been my #1. And the ending never fails to get something in my eye, no matter how many times I see it.

Last edited:
Had Star Wars A New Hope and Back to the Future in my top 30. I reckon could watch them both every month for the rest of this year and not get bored..

But all those are absolute classics as hiney suggests above. Serious heavyweight movies as we edge closer to the top 10..

Misanthrope

Staff member
LU's Favourite Movie: #10 - #6
#10 - Goodfellas (1990) - 738 points

Director: Martin Scorcese
Starring: Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci, and Lorraine Bracco.
Awards: Best Supporting Actor (Joe Pesci).

Arguably Martin Scorcese's best work, Goodfellas is one of the most enduring and beloved mafia movies out there. Second only to The Godfather when it comes to the world of organised crime, the dramatization of the book Wise Guy tells the story of the rise (and fall) of gangster, Henry Hill.

Featuring some stellar acting performances and Scorcese's signature deft touch, the film would go onto be nominated for Best Picture and Best Director, but only picked up a gong for Joe Pesci's performance as a short-tempered madman.

#9 - Se7en (1995) - 750 points

Director: David Fincher.
Starring: Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwenyth Paltrow, John C. McGinley, and Kevin Spacey.
Awards: N/A.

The mid-90s saw a lot of serial killer flicks trying to recapture the magic of Silence of the Lambs, but David Fincher's Se7en came closest. Featuring a hot-headed young Brad Pitt paired with a Morgan Freeman "two weeks from retirement", the film follows the pair as they track a serial killer who is murdering people based on each of the seven deadly sins. A tense game of cat and mouse with some grisly set pieces, it features one of the best twist endings in the genre.

#8 - Return of the King (2003) - 765 points

Director: Peter Jackson
Starring: Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellan, Liv Tyler, Sean Astin, Dominic Monaghan, David Wenham, Billy Boyd, John Rhys Davies, Orlando Bloom, Bernard Hill, Hugo Weaving, Mirando Otto, Andy Serkis, Karl Urban, Ian Holm, John Noble, and Sean Bean.
Awards: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, Best Makeup, Best Original Score, Best Original Song, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, and Best Visual Effects.

The conclusion to Peter Jackson's epic Lord of the Rings trilogy, Return of the King was a triumphant victory lap for the film series that captured the imaginations of the filmgoing world. While some criticised its long run time and multiple endings, it was hard not to love the film's epic set pieces, strong characterization, and bittersweet goodbyes.

Alongside Titanic and Ben Hur, it holds the record for the most Oscar wins, and was the first fantasy film to win Best Picture.

#7 - The Godfather (1972) - 805 points

Director: Francis Ford Coppola.
Starring: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, and Diane Keaton.
Awards: Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Actor (Marlon Brando).

Considered to be both one of the greatest gangster films of all time and one of the greatest movies of all time, Francis Ford Coppola's award-winning adaptation of Mario Puzo's novel of the same name was a huge critical and commercial success that would spawn a similarly beloved sequel and a much-maligned third film.

Featuring Al Pacino and Marlon Brando at the top of their games, the film can be credited with the popularization of the gangster genre and is seen as second only to Citizen Kane when it comes to American filmmaking.

Me? I found it f**king tedious.

#6 - Aliens (1986) - 894 points

Director: James Cameron.
Starring: Sigourney Weaver, Michael Biehn, Paul Reiser, Lance Henriksen, Carrie Henn, Bill Paxton, and William Hope.
Awards: Best Sound Effects Editing and Best Visual Effects.

The exception that proves the rule, Aliens tackled the impossible feat of following Ridley Scott's seminal Alien and managed to do the impossible: creating a sequel that was beter than the original. Where Alien was a tense game of cat and mouse, Aliens took the things that made the original amazing and amped it up with some truly breathtaking visual effects and action scenes.

Where the first film was a thriller, Aliens was a balls to the wall action film that still managed to tell a compelling story. Nominated for seven Academy Awards including Best Actress, it remains one of the most influential and beloved science fiction films of all time.

Latest posts