What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Unlimited's Favourite Movie

Would people prefer I post updates in this thread? Or start a fresh thread for the countdown?

this thread is pinned at the top of the forum, but the results will build a whole further heap of dialogue ... which I’m sure we don’t want lost in all the replies..

Maybe a suggestion is to keep it in this thread but edit the thread title to highlight the post/page # your results are on to reference for all?

Wizardman

First Grade
"Roadhouse" missed the cut????? Patrick Swazye, Ben Gazzara, blend of tough and corny lines, Sam Elliott, Kelly Lynch being the sexiest doctor alive, great 80's music, a beautiful blonde bimbo doing a stripdance, great fights, Gazzara's gay bodyguard.....hello??????

axl rose

Bench
"Roadhouse" missed the cut????? Patrick Swazye, Ben Gazzara, blend of tough and corny lines, Sam Elliott, Kelly Lynch being the sexiest doctor alive, great 80's music, a beautiful blonde bimbo doing a stripdance, great fights, Gazzara's gay bodyguard.....hello??????
Z75ovHE.gif

Misanthrope

Staff member
LU's Favourite Movie: #50 - #46

512x-5tuQLL._AC_.jpg

= #49 - Return of the Jedi (1983) - 168 points

Director: Richard Marquand
Starring: Mark Hammil, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, and Kenny Baker.
Awards: N/A.

Bringing the epic Star Wars series to an only slightly underwhelming conclusion, Return of the Jedi put a bow on the cultural phenomenon that was George Lucas' epic space opera. While some might have questioned the obsession with Ewoks, following The Empire Strikes Back was always going to be an unwinnable battle.

515omC7T82L.jpg

= #49 - Memento (2000) - 168 points

Director: Christopher Nolan
Starring: Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Joe Pantoliano.

While not as famous or as well-loved as some of Nolan's bigger budget mind-f**ks, Memento's unique decision to play out its narrative in reverse gave viewers some insight into how the protagonist must have felt while viewing his own life in fifteen-minute snippets. The decision turned what might otherwise have been a relatively run of the mill whodunnit into a fascinating character piece that would go onto garner two Oscar nominations (best film editing and best original screenplay).
51vnK2xVEfL._SY445_.jpg

= #47 - The Green Mile (1999) - 174 points

Director: Frank Darabont
Starring: Tom Hanks, David Morse, Michael Clark Duncan, James Cromwell, Michael Jeter, Sam Rockwell, and Patricia Clarkson.

Based on a serialized set of novellas written by Stephen King, The Green Mile marked the reunion of King and director, Frank Darabont after the success of their last collaboration, The Shawshank Redemption.

Telling the story of a 1930s prison warden who encounters a miraculous figure on death row, The Green Mile is an emotional three-hour journey that showcases the talents of Tom Hanks and Michael Clark Duncan, while also proving that King is capable of writing far deeper material than horror schlock.

Just try not to think about the fact the story leans really heavily into the played-out "magical negro" trope.

7124A8OOL6L._AC_SY741_.jpg

= #47 - The Terminator (1984) - 174 points

Director: James Cameron
Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, and Michael Biehn.

While many prefer its sequel, James Cameron's Terminator remains one of the most beloved science fiction movies of all time. Arnold Schwarzenegger was born to play the role of the titular terminator - an advanced robot sent back in time to kill the mother of the man who will be humanity's last great hope.

A tense game of violent, bloody cat and mouse ensues as Linda Hamilton's Sarah Connor is pursued with relentless determination by a seemingly unstoppable machine of war. Marvelously paced and shot by a director coming into the peak of his talent, The Terminator has since spawned a series of sequels and prequels (only one of which was any good) and is still recognized as one of modern cinema's greatest films.

51iGX8l0weL.jpg

#46 - Requiem for a Dream (2000) - 176 points

Director: Darren Aronofsky
Starring: Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly, Ellen Burstyn, and Marlon Wayans.

Aronofsky's relentlessly depressing, confronting film about the effects of heroin is a nightmarish journey into the spiral of self-destruction that inevitably follows the use of the drug. Featuring a tour-de-force performance from Ellen Burstyn that would earn her an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress, the film's gritty realism is infused with Aronofsky's distinctive visual and narrative style to create something at once both nightmarish and beautiful.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is arguably Aronofsky's finest work, and the only one of his films to make the top fifty of this countdown.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
Can we start a new thread with all these. Just make it easier to reference.

And dissapointed I didn't put in a Requiem for a Dream in my top movies. Would have been in the top 15 easy.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Memento a surprise. Great movie with unique directing. Saw it at the cinema and halfway through the film the film actually melted. Had to come back and watch it all over again.

So got double the repetition. Pearce is top notch and def an underrated actor

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Can we start a new thread with all these. Just make it easier to reference.

And dissapointed I didn't put in a Requiem for a Dream in my top movies. Would have been in the top 15 easy.

I did ask people their thoughts on this a page or two back, but people voted for keeping it in this thread.

I'll go back to the first post and edit in individual post links to each section of the countdown to make it easier to navigate.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I did ask people their thoughts on this a page or two back, but people voted for keeping it in this thread.

I'll go back to the first post and edit in individual post links to each section of the countdown to make it easier to navigate.

Turns out I can no longer edit my original post, as too much time has passed :(

Wizardman

First Grade
Memento: For some reason or other, I have totally missed seeing this movie. I'll need to remedy that.

Return of the Jedi: The very first movie I ever saw on the big screen. It made zero impression on me as a kid. I was curious about the characters but had no idea what was going on.

The Green Mile: Im embarassed to say that I still haven't seen this one. I have to grab it.

The Terminator: Absolute ripsnorter of a movie. Possibly, the best action movie of the 1980's....which is saying a lot.

Requiem for a Dream: This movie got my number one vote. Massive gamble by Aronofsky to filmshoot the movie the way he did. Under lesser directors, the movie could have very easily fallen apart but it turned out to be an incredible masterpiece. I still maintain Burstyn was absolutely robbed by Julia Roberts because she was the biggest actress in Hollywood at that time. But, her performance deadset broke my heart. I will never watch the last 30 minutes of the film ever again due to its intensity and the heartbreaking performance of Burstyn. A movie of pure perfection!

myrrh ken

First Grade
Must admit I've only watched parts of RFAD. It didn't really hit me. Maybe I should watch it in full. Or maybe I'm just a sociopath!

I haven’t seen Memento or Requiem for a Dream yet. :grimacing:

But they’re on the list!

I’ve only seen Requiem for a dream once. I suggest watching it with a clear head and positive state of mind. I instead watched it hungover on the lounge on a rainy Sunday afternoon after an enormous tear-up the night before.... not the best place to be in for it.

Matua

Bench
I'm not a huge fan of Requiem, certainly it wouldn't make my top 50 or top 100. I'm 50/50 with Aronofsky, Black Swan great, mother unmitigated bollocks,

Matua

Bench
The Wrestler was great. And Black Swan is awesome. I think they're comfortably his two most polished movies.
My issue with The Wrestler is that I'd seen the documentaries that the story was pulled from, but it was still a good movie, I prefer The Fighter though.

Be interesting to see what he does next, TBH, I don't think I'd risk money to see his next film in a cinema after Mother!.

On Memento, still my favourite Nolan movie slightly over Dunkirk and Inception.