What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lebanon

Wilson1

Juniors
The set up with the qualifying and the number of automatic qualifiers was all wrong, I think that's pretty obvious now. I also can't understand why teams didn't play home and away, and why the qualifiers are taking place now, two years ahead of the actual tournament. That being said, this was a qualifying group. It wasn't a knock-out match between Lebanon and Italy, it was a group match and just happened to be the group decider as the last game. It's extremely harsh on Lebanon, especially considering that they went out in a similar way last time, but that's sport.

Also, I don't see how you can suggest that players would be willing to play in a WCQ tournament for free, and then would not want to play in a far more prestigious, high profile tournament that they have helped their nation qualify for? Surely the whole point was so that they would be able to play in 2013? Italy going through could be great for the game. They need to sort out issues with the split and review their structure, but I think Italians will much prefer RL to Union and if the tournament gets good coverage there then it could be a massive boost for the game. It's certainly no bad thing that they have qualified, in fact they will probably be my team in 2013.

I agree with you. It was a joke having 12 automatic qualifiers, especially when the Cook Islands were one of them. All of the teams, outside of the top 3 should have had to qualify, IMO. You have got to feel sorry for Lebanon but I think points difference was the right way to decide it. It is sad that they missed out because there is actually a potential for the game to grow in Lebanon which you can not say for many of the pacific islands.

billy2

Juniors
It's sad for Lebanon, but on the other side of the coin, Italy have been the biggest improvers over the last 2 years and have massive improvement in them in the next 2 years.
Lebanon would have improved slightly if they had qualified, but Italy will find a good sponser, get some grants, appoint a bigtime coach, and work on putting in a competitive side. They are a genuine chance at a top 4 finish, or at least a better chance than Lebanon would have been.

crimpo

Juniors
I have sympathy with the Lebanese - perhaps it would have been better if the second placed European side had played off against the Cooks (though I suspect that would only have delayed the pain). Meanwhile, congratulations to Italy.

siv

First Grade
After all of ther turmoil in Italy RL in recent years - this is a great result for RL in that country

With Wales, France, Scotland, Ireland, Italy and Lebanon there is a good Tier 2 structure in place.

These guys should play regularly with the best 3 playing England

gsweeper

Juniors
I'm sorry but the way the qualifiers are working is absolute crap. Lebanon's domestic competition is going from strength to strength every year, but some of these countries that qualify automatically barely have a functioning domestic tournament. Lebanon RL has also received backing from the Lebanese government in helping to establish the game at grassroot levels. Not to talk about sponsorship? Etihad are partner with the Lebanese rugby league team, with Etihad recently running a promotion to give away tickets etc.

I have no issue with the fact that Italy qualified through the current system, but it leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth because there will be teams at this rlwc who didn't have to do anything to get there and arguably deserve their spot a lot less. Lets just hope this doesn't hinder the growth of the game in Lebanon, because they really deserve a spot, and in the last 2 qualifying campaigns they have proven to be just as good as the teams that qualify but fail on p/d

The General

Juniors
Really gutted for the Lebanese boys. They have put in so much effort the past few years and to be denied like that again is shattering.

A post on Facebook from one of the Lebanese players says Italys field goal may have actually missed but I don't know if the post is a joke or not. Anyone catch a stream or was at the game live and can shed some light?

Evil Homer

Staff member
I'm sorry but the way the qualifiers are working is absolute crap. Lebanon's domestic competition is going from strength to strength every year, but some of these countries that qualify automatically barely have a functioning domestic tournament. Lebanon RL has also received backing from the Lebanese government in helping to establish the game at grassroot levels. Not to talk about sponsorship? Etihad are partner with the Lebanese rugby league team, with Etihad recently running a promotion to give away tickets etc.

I have no issue with the fact that Italy qualified through the current system, but it leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth because there will be teams at this rlwc who didn't have to do anything to get there and arguably deserve their spot a lot less. Lets just hope this doesn't hinder the growth of the game in Lebanon, because they really deserve a spot, and in the last 2 qualifying campaigns they have proven to be just as good as the teams that qualify but fail on p/d
Agreed. Hopefully for 2017, all nations other than the 2013 semi-finalists will be required to qualify.

Weak as piss. Again. Italy have all the ring-ins in the world and they still aren't good enough to beat Lebanon, just like Ireland wasn't last time. In the meantime other teams have been given a free ticket that have done nothing in a decade. Anyone who says IRL is a joke won't get any argument from me anymore.

Bazzi

First Grade
Woke up and was absolutely shattered to hear the result.... Lebanon deserve to be there more than a few of the other teams. All the hard work and effort they put in to get through undefeated and yet still miss out is a massive kick in the guts.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yeah its disappointing, from what Ive been hearing the competition in Lebanon has improved and is a lot stronger than the domestic comp in Italy.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
It's unfortunate and heart breaking for Lebanon but I don't have a problem with it.

shasha

Juniors
Lebanon should at least be playing against the USA for the final spot! It is an absolute farce that a team that has worked so hard, and have only lost two games in the last 4-5 years have missed out on both world cups. One loss being to Samoa in the repecharge game to enter last years world cup, due to them already missing out due to two draws with Ireland and missing out on for and against. The other against Scotland in European cup in 2009. Yet the week after that loss they easily beat Ireland, who are automatic qualifiers for the world cup.

It is absolutely bullshit!! Last World cup qualifiers were over two years with two legs. Why is it not the same this time around. That is the best way for it to be done (without the 12 automatic qualifiers).

Everyone should verse the other team in their pool once at home and once away. None of this stupid double header games in Serbia to try and grow and spread the game.

If they are trying to grow and spread the game Lebanon and Italy would be both participating in the world cup, because their should of been a fairer way for qualifiers to have been done. And another way to grow the game would be pushing to have these games televised or at least streamed on the internet, but no-one with authority cares about that.

It would be the same for Italy, if they had missed out due to a draw and on for and against, it would of been unfair on them. This is only just as big due to it being the same way Lebanon bowed out in 2008 WCQ.

It seems as if the International Rugby League rushed through all their decisions for the 2013 World Cup.
They should all be deeply ashamed of themselves!!

I know if I was playing, I would definitely would not feel as if I had earned my spot in the World Cup due to the outcome that the Italians are going through now. It's a draw, they go through in first place, but it proves they are not the strongest side. The game should of been treated as a Grand Final with extra time.

You always see lop-sided scores in the rugby union world cup, But this years group stages are an example of how short term pain for long term gain is successful. The lower ranked sides like Georgia, Russia, Japan, Romania and etc were proving a lot more difficult then previous world cups, due to the growth in the game. Do people remember Tonga beat France in the group stage? The French side that lost to the dominant All Blacks by one point in the final. International Rugby league is going backwards, they are just assuming that it will forever and always be Australia #1, New Zealand #2 and England #3, and then the rest of the world can fight for the rest of the spots.

ABSOLUTE JOKE!!

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Might not like it, but Italy qualified fairly.

Calls for extra time are not justified as it was a round robin system. For and against, Italy qualified.

Bad luck again to Lebanon.

RHCP

Bench
The RLIF has let us down because Lebanon couldn't beat Italy? Last I checked, the onus was on the teams to win matches, not the governing bodies.

Big congratulations to Italy for qualifying for the World Cup. I can feel sympathy for Lebanon for missing out in these circumstances, but to have any sort of vitriol or bitterness towards the Italians is a shit attitude and the kind that holds international rugby league back.

winnyason

Juniors
The big drama is word is only 2 teams where in the firl, so you would think that possible that italia rfl will take over the game with the 14 or so clubs they have.
While the usa, don't seem to have any, crowd support without the usarl clubs hell canada gets better crowds than amnrl. This is the drama 2 teams have qualified who have a split so we may not see then get to there potential while there is a split, the usa really need jacksonville back in the fold this is where money can be made from crowds.

shasha

Juniors
The RLIF has let us down because Lebanon couldn't beat Italy? Last I checked, the onus was on the teams to win matches, not the governing bodies.

Big congratulations to Italy for qualifying for the World Cup. I can feel sympathy for Lebanon for missing out in these circumstances, but to have any sort of vitriol or bitterness towards the Italians is a shit attitude and the kind that holds international rugby league back.

My post was not due to bitterness, I also said that I would be feeling the same remorse for Italy if they were knocked out in the same situation.

The RLIF let people down cause Italy didn't beat Lebanon either, yet somehow they qualify!
Again, would be the same situation if Lebanon went through and Italy didn't.

deal.with.it

Juniors
i agree lebanon is very unlucky, again.
there are for and against for both teams qualifying.
but rewind a month ago...
when the squads were announced, just about everyone said that italy had basically qualified without even playing a match, based on the strength of their team.
now they have qualified, and people are blowing up about it. i know it was a draw, but everyone thought italy would be the ones to qualify, now they have, move on.
there is plenty of other rugby league coming up over the next 5 years before the 2017 world cup.
there should be a 6 nations euro cup by then. and a 6 nations top tier cup and a 6 nations pac cup. and a 4 nation atlantic cup.
its not like lebanon are going to be without a game. and then think what the qualifiers will be like for 2017.
the book has only just started for a lot of these countries like lebanon, jamaica, serbia etc... why try and get straight to the end already. theres a journey to be taken. that includes a journey of more international matches, with games being won, greater domestic comps, greater levels of govt recognition, and greater levels of corporate support.
rugby league has the product, and a lot of these countries have laid a solid platform. now its time to just keep on rolling forward.

deluded pom?

Coach
Steve Mascord recently alluded to a rumour that the Italian governing body that is recognised by the RLIF doesn't actually have the required minimum number of domestic teams neede to participate in WC qualifiers.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Steve Mascord recently alluded to a rumour that the Italian governing body that is recognised by the RLIF doesn't actually have the required minimum number of domestic teams neede to participate in WC qualifiers.

Well if that's the case then Italy should be disqualified as the FIRL do not meet the minimum critetria to enter the World Cup qualifiers.

Or, the RLEF should recongnise the rebel body the iRFL that has enough teams to meet the criteria, or (ideally) demand that both bodies come together and work something out.

The situation in USA is a little different in that the AMNRL still meets the minimum criteria on their own and are well established with a competition running since 1998 (even though they might not be the best-run organisation).

The General

Juniors
Getting word from a couple of Lebanon players that the Italy field goal actually missed. Apparently even a few Italian players acknowledged it missed. Wish the RLIF weren't a shambles and actually posted highlights so we can judge for ourselves.

Latest posts