What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lebanon

Ari Gold

Bench
Italy are full of ring-ins because none of those Aussie players played for them before. The Lebanese boys put their hand up every year, not just when it's a WC qualifier. Most of them have paid their own way for years and most are semi-pro so they have jobs they have to put on hold. It's easy for the professional "Italian" players to show up for a couple of games every four years when they don't make the Australian side. That's what makes them a team of ring-ins. The fact they have so many NRL players yet still couldn't beat Lebanon shows how half-hearted they are. Class can only get you so far if you don't have the attitude to match. Does anyone even know how many clubs belong to the official Italian governing body and if they even play a proper comp? If they don't have enough they shouldn't even be in the WC. And they can't inclide the southern teams if they're not a unified organisation. It's not just Italy either. Ireland's domestic set-up is a farce but they get a walk-up start and will fill their team with second string English players. That's all IRL is these days, a competition between countries with an almost non-existent domestic scene to see who can ring-in the best players from Australia and England. It's all about which country had the most emigrants in the last 50 or 60 years, not who has produced the best RL team.

You make no secret that you despise anything to do with Italian RL, but at least use some truth in your arguments!

The following team that took the field against only included 5 players (I'm counting minichello as his previous game was 12 years ago) that had NOT represented Italy prior to 2013 WC qualifiers. That is hardly a team of ring ins.

You do realize that for a so-called non-existent domestic scene Italy has had up to 10 teams playing rugby league in 2011 across both associations? Or do I also need to remind you that they managed to get major games televised on national TV networks (IRFL Grand Final and 1st WCQ vs Russia).

Anthony Minichiello, Josh Mantellato, Dom Nasso, Matt Parrata, Christophe Calegari, Ben Stewart, Ryan Ghietti, Alex Ranieri, Ray Nasso, Vic Mauro, Cameron Ciraldo, Joel Riethmuller, Ben Falcone Subs: Dean Vicelich, Rob Quitadamo, Ryan Tramonte, Rhys Lenarduzzi

Bulldog Force

Referee
So what happened sounds like it was a draw ?

also the match before it was the Russia v Serbia game
19-19. After Italy lead 18-0 at halftime, Lebanon scored 19 straight points. Then Italy got a field goal in the 78th minute to draw 19-19. They go through.

Sad really, but I've always been saying the Rugby League World Cup needs a change. 14 teams... really? What is that... like 3 groups, 2 with 5 and 1 with 4? Why not have 16 teams and have 4 teams in each group? So much easier and fairer.

Group 1:
1. England

Group 2:
1. Australia

Group 3:
1. New Zealand

Group 4:
1. France/Wales

Simple!

You make no secret that you despise anything to do with Italian RL, but at least use some truth in your arguments!

The following team that took the field against only included 5 players (I'm counting minichello as his previous game was 12 years ago) that had NOT represented Italy prior to 2013 WC qualifiers. That is hardly a team of ring ins.

You do realize that for a so-called non-existent domestic scene Italy has had up to 10 teams playing rugby league in 2011 across both associations? Or do I also need to remind you that they managed to get major games televised on national TV networks (IRFL Grand Final and 1st WCQ vs Russia).

Anthony Minichiello, Josh Mantellato, Dom Nasso, Matt Parrata, Christophe Calegari, Ben Stewart, Ryan Ghietti, Alex Ranieri, Ray Nasso, Vic Mauro, Cameron Ciraldo, Joel Riethmuller, Ben Falcone Subs: Dean Vicelich, Rob Quitadamo, Ryan Tramonte, Rhys Lenarduzzi
Team of ring-ins if ever I've seen one.

Only five never played? Yeah the five who make all the difference. The five to ensure they win - except they still didn't.

And they can talk up their domestic scene all they like, they can't even form a united organisation. And God only knows what the official organisation's comp is like anyway. but they don't even seem to have the required numbers to be eligible for the WC. And even when you throw in the other comp they're still just union players playing a handful of games of RL at the end of the day anyway. No junior development either.

What Italy proves is that in two or three years you can throw together a minimal domestic league, ring-in a team of Aussies and walk into what is supposed to be the biggest event in IRL. And that shows what IRL is all about now. Ireland is the same, except they really do just walk in.

If come 2013 and then the next WC qualifiers Italy fails to make any inroads domestically - can't unify its bodies, doesn't set up a proper RL season, doesn't grow its player and club numbers and doesn't develop the game at junior level - and still relies on Aussies to fill the side it will just be another Ireland - forverer superficially strong due to ring-ins but with no substance on the ground.

siv

First Grade
lets be honest here

while its important to support and build up the local talent

if a national team gets hammered by a team with a few reggie players and a FG player

what do you think will happen when they play a top 10 nation

---

in regards to qualifying I beleive there should be a better system

I am all for a 3 tier - 6 nation comps

1 is the elite Tier played each each - eg Aus, England , NZ, PNG, Wales, France

and a Tier 2 6 Nation in Euro Cup and the Pacific Cup

and a Tier 3 6 Nation Euro Shield and Pacific Shield (incl Americas / Japan etc)

and a mid year there is a Euro 4 nations (England, Wales, France, winner 6 nation Euro Cup)

and a mid year Pacific 4 nations (NZ, PNG, Fiji, winner 6 nation Pacific Cup)

the mid year tests to be played while SOO is being played

langpark

First Grade
Sad really, but I've always been saying the Rugby League World Cup needs a change. 14 teams... really? What is that... like 3 groups, 2 with 5 and 1 with 4? Why not have 16 teams and have 4 teams in each group? So much easier and fairer.

Group 1:
1. England

Group 2:
1. Australia

Group 3:
1. New Zealand

Group 4:
1. France/Wales

Simple!
100% agree, 4x4 is the ideal setup...

Though I would compromise on the qualification front. Lets say we use your plan above, in addition, the best two performing Euro nations and Pacific nations at the WC, gain automatic entry into the next WC, that way, 8 of 16 still need to be qualified for. Assuming these nations are Wales and Scotland (and that France get in as a top 4 seeded team), plus PNG and Fiji.

Then the final 8 places could be distributed as follows:
Atlantic: 1.5 - USA, Jamaica, Canada, South Africa
Pacific: 2.5 - Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands
Europe: 4 - Ireland, Italy, Lebanon, Russia, Serbia, Norway

The 0.5 indicates that there will be a cross-continental playoff, just as FIFA do...

Steve Davy

Juniors
Sixteen teams is a lot of teams. It is also a good number of amateur players that will need financial backing to make the tournament. The present systems give fewer nations a place at the WC, but gives very many countries meaningful fixtures against neighbouring nations, which is very valuable.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Sixteen teams is a lot of teams. It is also a good number of amateur players that will need financial backing to make the tournament. The present systems give fewer nations a place at the WC, but gives very many countries meaningful fixtures against neighbouring nations, which is very valuable.
What are you talking about? 16 teams is an increase of two, and I imagine there would be a handful of amateur players at most even with two extra teams.

Steve Davy

Juniors
What are you talking about? 16 teams is an increase of two, and I imagine there would be a handful of amateur players at most even with two extra teams.

There is an assumption that the right teams wil qualify and that it will be financially worthwhile for them. There was great damage done when the expenditure in previous world cups was not recouped.

Making qualifiers meaningful has been great for the sport, in my opinion.

VonVolks

Juniors
it was very sad for Lebanon, who now have failed to qualify from regular group stages yet remained undefeated in all qualifying group stages.

They were really set to go forwards in the WC and were gutted when they failed to qualify. The Field goal issue is a nonsense, as the Italian one was good.

I really wish we could pressure the RLIF to expand the tournament as IRL is expanding fast and doing very well, and they can surely afford 2 more teams, especially as Lebanon are doing so well domestically, and I am sure they can bring a lot to the world of RL development too....

Bashing Italy doesnt help, and is unfair. Congrats to them that they held on (how I dont know) for a draw, but it still rankles that Lebanon remain undefeated yet miss out yet again. In fact its crazy!

Latest posts