What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legacy of the 'big 3'

mave

Coach
Didn't the Donkeys turn their nose up at all 3 at one time?

I'm a little more lenient on Storm cheating to keep 3 legends they made as opposed to say Warriors cheating to strip Raiders and Bulldogs of Wiki and Price. Or Parra to get Foran, Watmough (regardless of how bad that went) or any other Club that skirts the rules to buy proven talent. No one wanted Smith, Cronk or Slater till Storm made 'em great. They all had a chance to do that and passed it up.

You are completely missing the overall point...cheating has no place here.

Let's use Brett Finch as an example....he was able to be bought to cover Cronk for SOO and injury cause of the "cap space" created by under-reporting the $ of the big 3 (4).

My memory isn't great, and Im not able to remember who was reported to have been after him, but maybe he wouldn't have gone to Melb if another club could have matched his asking $.
How is this scenario possibly fair to the 15 other clubs ?

mave

Coach
Try grasping the fact none of the 3 would have left Bellamy even if their wages weren't topped up . . . what player that relied on two others and the best coach in the game on a road to glory would risk a sidetrack

Road to glory for a 1 premiership return ?

No-one other than you gives 2 fks about the $100k shield.

They are cheating fkers, simple as that.

POPEYE

Coach
You still think players give a shit about success, it's a business, money would've superseded anything else
You're a rocket scientist, tell us how much money you think the big 3 have made since 2010 by staying together . . . forget the coach and the culture

AJB1102

First Grade
If they wouldn't have left anyway without the cheating why did they cheat to keep them?

To be sure, to be sure?

Nah, valid question. I obviously agree with Pops on some bits but to say they definitely wouldn't of gone no matter what is trash. In hindsight he's probably right, if someone guaranteed them what they have now I'm sure they'd probably stay for unders. But 10yrs ago with no tomorrows being a sure thing I reckon money talks much louder.

You are completely missing the overall point...cheating has no place here.

Let's use Brett Finch as an example....he was able to be bought to cover Cronk for SOO and injury cause of the "cap space" created by under-reporting the $ of the big 3 (4).

My memory isn't great, and Im not able to remember who was reported to have been after him, but maybe he wouldn't have gone to Melb if another club could have matched his asking $.
How is this scenario possibly fair to the 15 other clubs ?

Fair points. No doubt it had a trickle down affect I probably didn't really think of. But I wasn't condoning the cheating at all, just saying that I'd probably rather you cheat to keep what you worked hard to get rather than cheating to pinch someone else's hard work.

POPEYE

Coach
To be sure, to be sure?

Nah, valid question. I obviously agree with Pops on some bits but to say they definitely wouldn't of gone no matter what is trash. In hindsight he's probably right, if some guaranteed them what they have now I'm sure they'd probably stay for unders. But 10yrs ago with no tomorrows being a sure thing I reckon money talks much louder.

Fair points. No doubt it had a trickle down affect I probably didn't really think of. But I wasn't condoning the cheating at all, just saying that I'd probably rather you cheat to keep what you worked hard to get rather than cheating to pinch someone else's hard work.
Hands up those who think the Big 3 aren't getting promised retirement cheques. I'm hoping Waldron was just a gliche and Melbourne are still paying reward money under the table . . . anything is better than poaching

POPEYE

Coach
Two great players who will be remembered mostly for their grubbiness.

Third one is good only with the other two.
Not by anyone in the 4th largest membership and followers of the 2nd most popular club in the NRL . . . your theories are no better than those

thorson1987

Coach
FFS...the guy was his own manager and signed duplicate contracts.....yeah it matters.

*allegedly *....

And he would be a Bronco by now if it never happened.

Actually he wasn't his own manager. There was a couple of months where he was between managers but no contract negotiations took place during that period.

Mimis manages champion storm fullback Billy Slater and Gainey looks after Greg Inglis while Riolo's and Moses's Titan Player Manager group look after Cameron Smith.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/146d466fbc4d81db4a72cb7f08744fa8

AJB1102

First Grade
Hands up those who think the Big 3 aren't getting promised retirement cheques. I'm hoping Waldron was just a gliche and Melbourne are still paying reward money under the table . . . anything is better than poaching

Your tough mob must be way behind ol' mate, little league street level stuff. The big 3 have moved above street rich, they're connected and mixing with the big end of town. Todd called Cam something like the "captain of our game" didn't he? Yeah, Cam will be like a Mafia boss becoming a congressman. President maybe.

SBD82

Coach
Watching the 3 of them together is in some ways an argument for getting rid of the salary cap altogether.

If you want to see quality football, keeping blokes like smith, Cronk and slater together is going to get you a better calibre of team than if smith had gone to the titans.

If you want your club to be successful, consider getting rid of the dinosaurs and inept old boys that run most footy clubs. I know my team would benefit from some accountability, and less evening of the playing field.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Any rugby league should feel blessed that they were born at a time that they have had the opportunity to watch these three genuine superstars of the game ply their trade together.

Must be like those around watching the game in the early 80's watching sterlo, kenny etc at the eels.

Latest posts