What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legacy of the 'big 3'

Perth Red

Post Whore
Watching the 3 of them together is in some ways an argument for getting rid of the salary cap altogether.

If you want to see quality football, keeping blokes like smith, Cronk and slater together is going to get you a better calibre of team than if smith had gone to the titans.

If you want your club to be successful, consider getting rid of the dinosaurs and inept old boys that run most footy clubs. I know my team would benefit from some accountability, and less evening of the playing field.

Nah better we artificially manipulate the competition to penalise the successful and give the failures a chance at winning. Who'd be sharks fan otherwise?

nick87

Coach
Perfect GF to me
Either a crazy likeable club with an amazingly good under dog story gets up

Or the slater, Cronk and Smith, three of the very best to ever do it, cap off a period of dominance that is amazing

I'll really enjoy this GF. As for the question, I don't think a loss would alter the storm players legecy much at all, the die is cast there imo

Pedge1971

First Grade
Meh. Same song different singer each year. Don't rate their careers or "legacy"? I don't think they'll care too much. They're going to retire with a Dally M and couple of premierships each.

They care probably as much as most people care about the abomination that is the Storm. The second they start to lose they will be dropped like a kick off to Ben Hunt in a grand final.

Pedge1971

First Grade
2 questions...
1. If a player gets a upgraded contract would he be aware if the club throws out the initial one?

2. Are all 3rd party deals money? Could they possibly be cars, boats, etc?

I guess a media organization saying that a boat just turned up sounds a lot better than 3rd party deal was a boat.

Oh f**k off they cheated and the players had to know. Yes it was years ago, yes they are great players (particularly Smith) and yes the Storm system is the best right now.

But f**king spare me the players never knew bullshit. The club is built on deceit, cynical tactics and rigging the system. But much easier to lime given their location and owner.

Like I said, team, club and city are irrelevant to rugby league. f**k em.

Life's Good

Coach
Individually the Big 3 are good to great. Collectively(Storm, Maroons, Oz)good to great.
Would they have achieved what they have achieved away from the Storm, that is hard to say(a bit like Lockyer at the Broncos where he was generally surrounded by quality).
Fact is they have remained together in dubious circumstances and for mine, it does leave a question mark.

age.s

First Grade
Watching the 3 of them together is in some ways an argument for getting rid of the salary cap altogether.

If you want to see quality football, keeping blokes like smith, Cronk and slater together is going to get you a better calibre of team than if smith had gone to the titans.

Yeah and watching the 2016 Knights is a pretty good argument for keeping it.

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
Imagine how much stronger the game would be if Cameron Smith went to the Titans which would've happened if not for the multiple contracts.

Someone finally gets it.

Melbourne continue, to this day, to be successful on the back of the systemic cheating based purely around Cameron Smith.

Forget Smiths role in how many contracts he signed. The fact is that, in 2007 or 2008, Smith re-signed with Melbourne who had no legal right to even offer him a contract as they were over the salary cap at the time.

Smiths contract should have been made null and void once the cheating was discovered, as should any other player that signed contracts that continued to put Melbourne over the cap. Smith, and any other players, should then have been on the open market. IF Melbourne were then able to legally offer him a contract at the same value, then he could re-sign with them. If not, then he goes to whoever, and Melbourne should have been forced, out of their cap, to make up the difference.

Of course though, the NRL and their pissweak leadership, did the opposite, and allowed Melbourne to offload whoever they wanted, thus keeping Smith, and allowing this era of illegitimacy to continue to this day.

And lets face it. It's not like the players or the club take any of it seriously. Nor do the NRL. Perfect example was the NRL sanctioned celebration of 2007 earlier this season, when Melbourne had 2007 written on the back of their jerseys. Mark my words. One of Todd Greenbergs legacies from his time in charge of the NRL will be to reinstate the 2007 and 2009 premierships.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Great thread. Its a disgrace so many individual records by legends are being overtaken by the tainted statistics of pieces of shit like Cameron 'call me cam' Smith. Ditto Craig 'too gutless to coach nsw again' Bellamy's winning % as a coach.

99.9% of the RL community is firmly on the nth qld bandwagon.

AJB1102

First Grade
Some f**ken sooks in here. Boohoo you're team is shit and doesn't cheat as good as others. Parra did a horrible job of cheating and wound up top 4, everyone else should get their shit together.

Canard

Immortal
Someone finally gets it.

Melbourne continue, to this day, to be successful on the back of the systemic cheating based purely around Cameron Smith.

Forget Smiths role in how many contracts he signed. The fact is that, in 2007 or 2008, Smith re-signed with Melbourne who had no legal right to even offer him a contract as they were over the salary cap at the time.

Smiths contract should have been made null and void once the cheating was discovered, as should any other player that signed contracts that continued to put Melbourne over the cap. Smith, and any other players, should then have been on the open market. IF Melbourne were then able to legally offer him a contract at the same value, then he could re-sign with them. If not, then he goes to whoever, and Melbourne should have been forced, out of their cap, to make up the difference.

Of course though, the NRL and their pissweak leadership, did the opposite, and allowed Melbourne to offload whoever they wanted, thus keeping Smith, and allowing this era of illegitimacy to continue to this day.

And lets face it. It's not like the players or the club take any of it seriously. Nor do the NRL. Perfect example was the NRL sanctioned celebration of 2007 earlier this season, when Melbourne had 2007 written on the back of their jerseys. Mark my words. One of Todd Greenbergs legacies from his time in charge of the NRL will be to reinstate the 2007 and 2009 premierships.

Now this is how you troll.

Take note BummiesMan

no name

Coach
It seems everyone in here is a little butt hurt that the 3 of them don't play for there team. Most logical people without a axe to grind can see 3 players that epitomize all that's good with league. Yes the salary cap thing happened but theres barely a club that hasn't been fined for salary cap breaches, where do you draw the line?. Storm developed these players as well as folau and inglis and didn't poach them. Storm and the big 3 deserve the credit of being a team for the ages but I do believe that if they don't win next week it does affect there legacy.
I'm extremely butt hurt Smith doesn't play for the Titans.
From all accounts he was all but wrapped up until an extra contract was thrown in front of his 'manager'.
The Titans could have used a smarmy merkin to get the refs onside over the past 10 years.