What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leichhardt council to allow AFL to be played at Birchgrove Oval

whall15

Coach
Speak to the ACT Ombudsman if you want to pursue this. I used to have a lot to do with FOI in a past life. I would be surprised that such a request would cost much if anything.

The laws about FOI have changed dramatically and there are very few exemptions from release these days.

I filed a FOI request for the World Cup Bid Book.

I could have it for 3 grand apparently.

age.s

First Grade
I loved the guy invoking Occams Razor (the most likely answer is usually the correct one) on the question of whether the figures were fudged or produced in error. What's more likely, a sporting body with a history of lying about junior participation numbers doing so again or an error being made inflating the figures by 700% and not being picked up by anyone before it got to council? Mistakes of that magnitude just don't happen when producing data for government officials. It's not a system blindly spitting out data, it's people with the faculties to look at a figure that's WAY off and realize something has gone wrong (if they want to). I don't think the answer he wants is the right one there.

Good to see sanity prevailing amongst some of them though.

elbusto

Coach
I filed a FOI request for the World Cup Bid Book.

I could have it for 3 grand apparently.
Jesus. I worked in the Social Security jurisdiction so it was all free. Sounds like you can only get access to free information if you can afford it in other jurisdictions.

Defeats the purpose.

typicalfan

Coach
Well the best way to tell whether the figures were deliberately fudged or not would be to check out other claims in NSW/ACT and QLD. But they shan't be doing that.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Speak to the ACT Ombudsman if you want to pursue this. I used to have a lot to do with FOI in a past life. I would be surprised that such a request would cost much if anything.

The laws about FOI have changed dramatically and there are very few exemptions from release these days.

Thanks, I might just do that.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Hardly surprising this. At least going by the article HQ are involved in the situation

The folks over at bigfooty need to wake up to reality on afl numbers outside their heartlands, they are kidding themselves and allow themselves to be fooled by the masters of spin at the afl. Just go to the sportingpulse website for a dose of reality

docbrown

Coach
Well the best way to tell whether the figures were deliberately fudged or not would be to check out other claims in NSW/ACT and QLD. But they shan't be doing that.

See El Diablo's post below.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=8538260&postcount=151

The Senate Committee discovered that the AFL's figures for Western Sydney were actually less than 15% of what they originally claimed.

From the Big Footy nutters -

theRainbowGame said:
Anyone interested these are the contact details for the writer of the SMH article:
- Twitter: @Glenn__Jackson
- Email: gjackson@smh.com.au

Write him a few emails over the next few days and he might decide to fully research articles in the future. Note he is a rugby league writer as well

Now they're going to harass the journalist instead of accepting the truth. f**king zealots! :lol:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/sydney-afl-playing-numbers.963231/page-4

elbusto

Coach
There is little doubt that AFL zealots are the most insular, idiotic and obsessed pack of sporting lunatics on this planet. The comments on that thread on Bigfooty is conclusive proof.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
:lol:

Anyone who has spent any time living in that areas knows its a Soccer dominated part of Sydney. The idea that the greater proportion of Juniors would be playing AFL was laughable to begin with.

I live here, it is League and Soccer.

elbusto

Coach
Let's hope the ARLC spend a couple of hours investing it's time to embarrass the AFL further. It is out there and it will not take much to find it!

elbusto

Coach
lol

That'll get the hicks frothing.
Yep. I am sure they will now want to sack the Council, the journalists and anybody else responsibe for exposing this reckless exaggeration by their code.

Let's face it, in their eyes, AFL is a religion and we all must be converted. The truth is irrelevant.

We keep exposing their bullshit and garbage. And they hate it.

Enjoy!

I expect some sort of backpedal, like someone saying "oooh, we never wanted it in the first place".

Stick the dumb f**ks at Callan Park, that's where they belong. But in 1972.

franklin2323

Immortal
The comments on that thread on Bigfooty is conclusive proof.

They don't believe people could like any sport bar that garbage. Anyone that knows Sydney knows Leichardt is soccer mad. To kick soccer off a field is signing your death warrant. They think it's us v them. In this case it's soccer v team.

Jees they're mongs.

Apparently there are inconsistencies in the article if you're a selectively blind, barely coherent AFL fan.

Inconsistencies with the SMH article:
- " Leichhardt Council decided at a meeting last night that Australian football would not be played on Birchgrove Oval but in surrounding suburbs" -
Leichhardt council includes Lilyfield. A deliberate misrepresentation by the journalist.

So, they decide that AFL can play somewhere else in their area other than Birchgrove and the journo is misrepresenting something?

''After the revelations about their actual number of local players, the NSW AFL specifically requested not to be allocated to Birchgrove Oval,''
said Darcy Byrne and

Heading (AFL drop Birchgrove bid) - AFL NSW/ACT never asked for Birchgrove access

So, they never asked for access to Birchgrove but after they were rumbled they specifically asked not to be allocated to Birchgrove?​

There's no reason to request they not be allocated to Birchgrove if they never asked for it in the first place....

And where are the quotes from the AFL, prior to being caught lying, that the stories of them wanting Birchgrove were incorrect?​

You won't find them because they don't exist.

Last edited:

elbusto

Coach
Jees they're mongs.

Apparently there are inconsistencies in the article if you're a selectively blind, barely coherent AFL fan.

So, they decide that AFL can play somewhere else in their area other than Birchgrove and the journo is misrepresenting something?

So, they never asked for access to Birchgrove but after they were rumbled they specifically asked not to be allocated to Birchgrove?​

There's no reason to request they not be allocated to Birchgrove if they never asked for it in the first place....

And where are the quotes from the AFL, prior to being caught lying, that the stories of them wanting Birchgrove were incorrect?​

You won't find them because they don't exist.
So our AFL friends have been reduced from gloating about this on Bigfooty to out right lying now their code has been exposed for wilfully exaggerating playing numbers to kick another code off a sporting ground!

Pretty much what you would expect.

It is their culture.

:cool:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
At no point in the article does the journo imply that lilyfield is not in leichardt council. How else would that particular council be in charge of that ground. So much dumb at that site.