What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Less Than 2 Minutes

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I remember Creagh didn't really set the house on fire when he played on the Wings same with Coops. Now I wouldn't change them for the world. It's not his position and Browny should put Lett or Dell there going forward as they are natural wingers.

Some players are just not good in certain positions and I am suprised Browny still persists.

Stanley should play Centres when GAz or Coops are out or backrow. With Gaz's history of injury he will get at least half a season anyway.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
I like Stanely and whilst he currently has flaws in his game he is a great future prospect. His recent defensive inadequates has probably determined his fate as a backrower. Once he settles into that position long term he will make significant improvement as a player. He should be forced to hit the gym very hard in the off season to get ready for a huge 2009. One of he more exciting players we have on the roster.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Stanly wants to play in the centres. Whether or not he can cope there in the NRL that remains to be seen
SBW wants him to come to the Bulldogs where he'll get a game
Ryles minutes and metres are at the top of the NRL stats and they're hard yards against whoever he is playing. You're entitled to your opinion Pete but IMO you don't have a clue. Ryles unhappiness relates in part to the lack of respect those with minds like steel traps afford him so he needs to adjust and realise that you can't please all of the people all of the time and some he'll never please.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The trick is to let Ryles give his standard penalty in the first 5 minutes. Then he will stop giving them away.

He has been one of our best players this year. ATM I would not swap Ryles for anyone...............Oh, maybe Luke Bailey.

petetheileet

First Grade
:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Stanly wants to play in the centres. Whether or not he can cope there in the NRL that remains to be seen
SBW wants him to come to the Bulldogs where he'll get a game
Ryles minutes and metres are at the top of the NRL stats and they're hard yards against whoever he is playing. You're entitled to your opinion Pete but IMO you don't have a clue. Ryles unhappiness relates in part to the lack of respect those with minds like steel traps afford him so he needs to adjust and realise that you can't please all of the people all of the time and some he'll never please.

Id say iv got abit more of a clue than you do since iv actually bothered to have a look at some NRL stats

In this thread and in many others i havnt made any judgement calls, actually i have sometimes applauded Ryles for making good meters in some games...

let me actually list some stats for you

Ryles has made more meters than anyone in our team for this season with 1400, Poore stands at 1200, Scott at 900 and Creagh at 800 (obviously much less for missing a few games)

This is the only stat Ryles leads in our team...and he isnt near the top of the NRL.

This shows Ryles works very hard and good on him for that, those meters are valuable for our team.

Here are some other actual stats:

Ryles has given away 11 penalties this season compared to Poore (4) and Creagh (3)

Ryles has made 9 errors this year compared to Creagh and Poore's (4 each)

This isnt just case of Ryles having a cpl of bad games, it is a routine for him, when being in the run on side Ryles has gone 1 game this year without giving away a penalty or making an error, Poore has done it 7 times this year.

Poore and Scott average more meters per run than Ryles.

Unfortunately I havn't been able to find any Stats on Minutes played, however Cagey If you actually watched our team play I am certain you would see Ryles often leaves the field before Poore and Creagh and often comes back on when Creagh is still yet to leave the field... Many games this year and last Creagh has played the first 60-70 minutes of games with a lot more discipline than Ryles shows.

I challenge you to come up with any reliable statistics that show Ryles Averages anywhere near Creaghs minutes. Or that Ryles Leads the NRL in Minutes played...If your making such outlandish statements man, be prepared to have to back it up, not just make it up!!!

I also doubt he plays anywhere near the amount of minutes of a Bailey or a Price.

Unfortunately i am unable to find any statistics on the amount of times he has been marched 10 and penalised after dropping the ball or throw a dumb offload behind him without looking.

IMO these later things put to waste his decent work whilst making meters. While he make 10 - 20% more meters than some other forwards, he makes more than double sometimes triple their errors and penalties.

Can anyone honestly argue anything i have said here???

Those above were facts...now here in case you didnt know is an opinion.....

In My Opinion In todays professional game, smart teams and coaches take advantage of Ryles and use him to their advantage...

He is 29 years old and meant to be a senoir team member who can lead by example, however he contibutes often to our team being on the back foot, conceeding tries and ultimately loosing games.

He is not smart enough to be a professional footballer and he has had 10 years to learn how to be one, so he aint gna start now.

His negatives far outweigh his positives and i would rather play against him every week than have him in our team every week.

Anna Bolic

Juniors
Interestingly enough, on Jason Ryles ( for all games 2008 / for all teams ) he:

1. comes in third for "all runs meters" (1482 mtres )
2. is first for most hit ups this year (146)
3. and is fourth for Penalties Against (11)

He's an undisciplined work horse..those who stick up for him are spot on, and those that bag him are also spot on.

Is the glass half full or half empty!

Cagey Mac

Bench
PARDON THE CAPS FOR DEFINITION OVER YOUR PETE’S TEXT ONLY (NOT SHOUTING)
Id say iv got abit more of a clue than you do since iv actually bothered to have a look at some NRL stats
I MADE MY CALL BASED ON STATS DUDE

In this thread and in many others i havnt made any judgement calls, actually i have sometimes applauded Ryles for making good meters in some games...

let me actually list some stats for you

I BOTHERED TO FIND THE STATS YOU HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND PETE AS WELL AS NRL STATS ON THE WEBSITE GO TO CLUB>PLAYERS THE TABLE IS LINKED TO MORE DATA

Ryles has made more meters than anyone in our team for this season with 1400, Poore stands at 1200, Scott at 900 and Creagh at 800 (obviously much less for missing a few games)
I BELIEVE THAT I SAID THAT. HE COMES SECOND OR THIRD IN OTHER KEY AREA AS WELL
This is the only stat Ryles leads in our team...and he isnt near the top of the NRL.

SO HE SHOULD LEAD IN EVERYTHING?

This shows Ryles works very hard and good on him for that, those meters are valuable for our team.

YET YOU FEEL IT’S YOUR RIGHT TO GIVE HIM GRIEF

Here are some other actual stats:

Ryles has given away 11 penalties this season compared to Poore (4) and Creagh (3)

THAT’S ONE PER GAME AND SEVERAL NOT JUSTIFIED, I BELIEVE THAT HE’S TRYING HIS BEST IN THIS AREA

Ryles has made 9 errors this year compared to Creagh and Poore's (4 each)

AGAIN LESS THAN ONE PER GAME AND SEVERAL TRYING TO SET UP OTHERS WITH OFF-LOADS WHICH FEW OTHERS IN THE SIDE CAN MANAGE

This isnt just case of Ryles having a cpl of bad games, it is a routine for him, when being in the run on side Ryles has gone 1 game this year without giving away a penalty or making an error, Poore has done it 7 times this year.

WHOOPEE!! HAS RUN MORE METRES AND MADE 50 MORE TACKLES AND AVERAGES 10% MORE TIME ON THE FIELD THAN POORE (WHO IS A GREAT PLAYER BTW)

Poore and Scott average more meters per run than Ryles. BY LESS THAN HALF A METRE OVER FEWER RUNS

Unfortunately I havn't been able to find any Stats on Minutes played, however Cagey If you actually watched our team play READ ABOVE CLUB>PLAYERS AND GO FOR YOUR LIFE

I HAVE EITHER BEEN TO OR WATCHED EVERY GAME FOR MANY YEARS STARTING IN 1963
CREAGH IS A BACK ROWER AND RYLES AVERAGES 56.45 MINS TO POORES 51 MINS I am certain you would see Ryles often leaves the field before Poore and Creagh and often comes back on when Creagh is still yet to leave the field... Many games this year and last Creagh has played the first 60-70 minutes of games with a lot more discipline than Ryles shows. CREAGH IS A GREAT PLAYER, NEEDS TO LEARN TO OFFLOAD (A SOURCE OF SEVERAL OF RYLES’ ERRORS) WHEN CREAGH DOES TRY OFFLOADS HE DOES MAKE THE OCCASIONAL ERROR

I challenge you to come up with any reliable statistics that show Ryles Averages anywhere near Creaghs minutes. Or that Ryles Leads the NRL in Minutes played...If your making such outlandish statements man, be prepared to have to back it up, not just make it up!!!

LOOK THEM UP PETE. I DID BEFORE I MADE MY POST BTW THE TOP MEAN’T AT THE TOP NOT IN THE MIDDLE OR AT THE BOTTOM BUT AMONG THE VERY BEST
LIKE SAID CREAGH IS A BACK ROWER MAKING FEWER RUNS FOR FEWER METRES DESPITE BEING ON THE PADDOCK FOR A LITTLE LONGER. DID I MENTION THAT HE ALSO MAKES MORE TACKLES THAN BC AS WELL, DESPITE BEING A PROP AND BEING ON THE FIELD FOR LESS TIME OR THAT HE DRAWS MORE PLAYERS IN DEFENCE?

I also doubt he plays anywhere near the amount of minutes of a Bailey or a Price.

WHO GET PAID MORE AND HAVE SPENT BUGGER ALL TIME ON THE PADDOCK THIS YEAR OR DOES THAT MATTER?

Unfortunately i am unable to find any statistics on the amount of times he has been marched 10

THAT’S INCLUDED IN HIS PENALTY COUNT ISN’T IT (I REALLY CAN’T SAY FOR SURE)?
and penalised after dropping the ball or throw a dumb offload behind him without looking.

IMO these later things put to waste his decent work whilst making meters. While he make 10 - 20% more meters than some other forwards, he makes more than double sometimes triple their errors and penalties. HE COULD IMPROVE BUT HIS OVERALL WORTH FAR EXCEEDS HIS FAULTS ASK HIS TEAM MATES IF YOU NEED TO

Can anyone honestly argue anything i have said here???

I BELIEVE I JUST HAVE. PETE YOU USE SOPHISTRY AND USE IT POORLY. TO JUSTIFY WHY I BELIEVE IS PRETTY JUVENILE BEHAVIOUR TO A SENIOR CLUBMAN

Those above were facts...now here in case you didnt know is an opinion.....

In My Opinion In todays professional game, smart teams and coaches take advantage of Ryles and use him to their advantage...

SHH!
He is 29 years old and meant to be a senoir team member who can lead by example, however he contibutes often to our team being on the back foot, conceeding tries and ultimately loosing games.

He is not smart enough to be a professional footballer and he has had 10 years to learn how to be one, so he aint gna start now.

WHICH IS WHY HE’S IN THE STARTING LINE UP EVERY WEEK AND WILL BE UNDER BENNETT AS WELL

His negatives far outweigh his positives and i would rather play against him every week than have him in our team every week.

GLAD THAT YOU’RE NOT COACHING THE TEAM MATE. BUT AS I SAID YOU’RE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION

Potsie

Juniors
Interestingly enough, on Jason Ryles ( for all games 2008 / for all teams ) he:

1. comes in third for "all runs meters" (1482 mtres )
2. is first for most hit ups this year (146)
3. and is fourth for Penalties Against (11)

He's an undisciplined work horse..those who stick up for him are spot on, and those that bag him are also spot on.

Is the glass half full or half empty!

yep, spot on. He is so frustrating and at times you wonder how he is even a 1st grade footballer, but gee he does the hard yards when needed.

Mr Red

First Grade
oh the old Ryles saga rears its ugly head again...
i think he summarises the whole dragons team
- very frustrating to watch most of the time
- does some really dumb things, and then some brilliant things
- inconsistent, gives you a stomach ulcer, but we always come back for more :)

PS - never judge a player on stats... Nathan Hindmarsh was the king of stats but IMO was one of the most ineffective players on the football field... Finally a state of origin coach was smart enough to agree with this, hence why he and "the other stats king" Andrew Ryan were dropped this year.

Cagey Mac

Bench
To add a little ‘Sting’ to the argument

I've spent too many years
At war with myself
The doctor has told me
It's no good for my health
To search for perfection
Is all very well
But to look for heaven
Is to live here in hell

We may be taking “when the saints go marchin’ in” too literally with our heavenly expectations of the Dragon’s roster.
Let’s just hope Ryles doesn’t say “Consider me gone”
Mr Red I agree that there are lies, damn lies and statistics but Bulldog Ryan and Hindmarsh were dropped from SOO to make way for a new generation and because they’re getting on a bit, Fitzy was retained because the Rorters are top of the pops at the moment and his form (like his statistics) are excellent

Tanner Ave

Juniors
Don't worry about Ryles, once WB get's here his attitude will change really fast! Maybe then we will see some concistance in the way the boys play.

Godz Illa

Coach
Mr Red you're still talking nonsense re: Stanley. I dont remember many "useless" players making their Test debut at age 18. His offloading talent is among the best in our team - the ability to hold off bigger players, maintain balance and get a decent offload away is pretty impressive for a kid who hasn't finished growing yet. His future is in the backrow and a bright future it is.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Congratulations Jason and Ben

Team of the week
Fullback: Karmichael Hunt - Broncos (1)
Winger: Denan Kemp - Broncos (1)
Centre: Ben Pommeroy -Sharks (1)
Centre: Krisnan Inu - Eels (1)
Winger: Mitch Aubusson - Roosters (1)
Five-eighth: Darren Lockyer - Broncos (1)
Halfback: Matt Orford - Sea Eagles (2)
Prop: Petero Civoniceva - Panthers (3)
Hooker: Cam Smith - Storm (1)
Prop: Jason Ryles - Dragons (1)
Second-row: Anthony Watmough - Sea Eagles (1)
Second-row: Ben Creagh - Dragons (1)
Lock: Nathan Smith - Panthers (1)

Thanks SMH!