What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets appreciate Hagan for what he did achieve, not what he didn't

Swiftstylez

Bench
Hagan brought us to one game shy of the Grand Final in 2007, in what was a very good year for the most part. We could have finished higher if we were more consistent, but almost beating the eventual premiers was an achievement. We gave it to the dogs and the warriors, and those two teams were no slouches.

2008 is obviously a year to forget, but I don't think we should be celebrating his departure. How about we celebrate the good times, rather then continue to be blind eels fans and celebrate the success a new coach hasn't had yet.

Thanks for the good times Hagan, you will surely be missed.

The Hagan Appreciation Society will now regrettably disband, however, if you have found a new coaching job over seas I'm sure the HAS will gladly make that team one of their own. Thank you for the memories.

No wonder Hagan had to leave, he had no one on his side. Think of how that would feel if it were you.

Who else feels this way?

Last edited:

Swiftstylez

Bench
Well it's been 20 years and we have won f**k all, Hagan was there for two. Go figure. Be sympathetic to the man. You ravenous eels fans have obviously lead him to have personal problems. I hope you lay in bed at night and can fall asleep knowing that you have shattered another mans heart.

In other news, I think we should sign Matthew Elliot.

Last edited:

fish eel

Immortal
With the exception of 2001, he got us as close to a premiership as Smith did - so while that should be acknowledged last season was an abomination.

strider

Post Whore
agree ... in 2007 Hagan was probably just what our guys needed - someone less intense - which led to them being more relaxed and playing better footy

2008 probably showed that a relaxed coach probably won't get u too far in the long run .... end of the day our players need sorting out and unfortunately hages wasn't the guy to do that

Swiftstylez

Bench
Yes, but it has been brought up in the main forum that he was a scapegoat for what was really the administrations problems. Whilst Hagan was obviously not right for Parramatta, I still think that everyone has pulled a Tim Smith on Michael Hagan this year. He is just a little stronger mentally. And I'm glad some of you can see that it was a great decision for him to leave, but at the same time, there were good moments under Hagan

fish eel

Immortal
Yes, but it has been brought up in the main forum that he was a scapegoat for what was really the administrations problems. Whilst Hagan was obviously not right for Parramatta, I still think that everyone has pulled a Tim Smith on Michael Hagan this year. He is just a little stronger mentally. And I'm glad some of you can see that it was a great decision for him to leave, but at the same time, there were good moments under Hagan

It's not just the onfield performance of the side that has disappointed people. It runs deeper. It's the press conferences, the team selections, the apparant lack of real planning in recruitment etc. So while some of the blame for performances can be shifted to the players, Hagan has to shoulder much responsibility for the other, off field matters.

eel4life

Juniors
yeah 2007 was a year where our last 3 games were great the rest of the year we were yo-yo's up and down and then in 2008 we were down and only up a few times.

Hagan had a golden chance to do something here but he could not deliver, with the amount of talent that we have we need someone who can get them playing together as a team and at least we kept Mateo, Inu, Hayne and the rest of the young talent but we need someone who demands success and wants to win ..

Anderson in england past 4 seasons, minor premierships 4 times, 3 GF appearances, 1 win and 3 challenge cup in a row .. if he brings that here he should be our number 1 target and from all reports all over he should be the guy we get ...

Brian Smith had a great 5 years here between 97 and 2001 .. he didnt win a premiership if he had won a premiership he would be our coach now, but he didnt and that is the nature of the beast ... you have to win and when your expected to win it is a harder job.

Anderson expectes to win himself thats why he does so well, he expects his players to give it everything and i am now praying he comes to parra and gives us a kick up the arse and finally we might see the best out of Hayne, Inu and i cant wait and see how mateo plays under him ... again thats if we get him ...

Swiftstylez

Bench
I agree that Anderson will be good for us. I know Hagan was restraining himself to say that the Eels club has unrealistic expectations in the press conference.

I agree that Anderson will be good for us. I know Hagan was restraining himself to say that the Eels club has unrealistic expectations in the press conference.

To compete for 80 minutes during 26 competition rounds is an unrealistic expectation?

Last edited:

spiderdan

Bench
credit where it is due.

before arriving hagan was instrumental in the retention of several young players including hayne, mateo, hauraki, and from memory, inu. he was also our head coach when we retained kris keating who many regard as a superstar in the making.

hagan also signed finch, who after a sluggish start to 07 has been a valuable player for us.

he did get us very close to the side that won the comp last year but i think this year he was fresh out of ideas to run the team.

he comes across as a hell of a good bloke as well.

i wish him all the best for the future in whatever he pursues.

parra pete

Referee
PLUS he got rid of some 'dead wood' and some 'dead heads' from the Club, and provided others with opportunity to see what they could achieve.

yy_cheng

Coach
I thought it was Hayne's mum and a reasonably big packet that eventually kept him here. For Inu, same thing re: $$ but he wanted to stay with Hayne.

Huaraki - so so.
Finch - 3 years is way too long. A 1 year and 1 year option in our favour would've been better.

Y2Eel

First Grade
I thought it was Hayne's mum and a reasonably big packet that eventually kept him here. For Inu, same thing re: $$ but he wanted to stay with Hayne.

Huaraki - so so.
Finch - 3 years is way too long. A 1 year and 1 year option in our favour would've been better.

I guess that was the factor why was lost one of our promising halves to manly also.. Hagen did great on retention.. any other coach could have done the same thing with retention possibly better...

bartman

Immortal
Fair dues to Hagan, he handled this situation a lot more professionally than Brian Smith did, if you go back two years earlier. Better for Hagan himself, and better for the club he's leaving behind.

Seems like a nice bloke, with a sense of integrity rather than pure ego. I hope his personal health issues (remember the hospital spell during this season?) aren't too bad, and he enjoys spending time with his family while his daughters finish their schooling.

forward pass

Coach
I am absolutely wrapped that he is gone. But I seriously wish him well - both professionally and with his health issues. He seems like a terrific guy.

I honestly think he could make a fair impact in the ESL where the intensity is not quite as it is here.

Latest posts