What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's forget about this season for an hour or so... 98 semi on FoxSports3 Wed night

oneguy

Juniors
6.30pm FOX Sports 3
Classic Matches
1998 Preliminary SF, Parramatta v Norths
Classic tries, heroic plays, first class performances. These are the games that created the legend and the players that went on to become legendary.
(2007) Sport 60

Stagger eel

Staff member
Dennis Moran basicaly won us that game by putting JT out of the contest.

Godbless him.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Dennis Moran used to win us those semi final games, he played awesome in semi finals.

Man of the match against Penrith 2000
Nearly won us the game against Melbourne in 1999
Played awesome against the Roosters in 2000

Good player.

In that bears game we really hurt them up front in the forwards.

Stagger eel

Staff member
PARRA_FAN said:
Dennis Moran used to win us those semi final games, he played awesome in semi finals.

Man of the match against Penrith 2000
Nearly won us the game against Melbourne in 1999
Played awesome against the Roosters in 2000

Good player.

In that bears game we really hurt them up front in the forwards.

you're exactly right..if there was ever a guy who desrved to win a premiership it was him, he wore the jumper with pride and had a win at all cost attitude even if it meant he had to sit out the week after which is what happened after that game.

bradeel

Juniors
did we break JT's nose that game?

Last night was watching another episode of the brilliant South Side Story docco and my girlfriend noted how smashed up JT's nose is today. I told her that i thought our side did that to him in that match but wasn't quite sure...?

bradeel

Juniors
imagine the Parramatta Eels winning a game after being totally down and out in the first half and dominating the 2nd!! This is the sort of stuff that happens to other clubs but not us... Was in shock that day. Will have to watch again to be sure...

Stagger eel

Staff member
bradeel said:
did we break JT's nose that game?

Last night was watching another episode of the brilliant South Side Story docco and my girlfriend noted how smashed up JT's nose is today. I told her that i thought our side did that to him in that match but wasn't quite sure...?

that was a Dennis Moran gem..Moran is also the same bloke who 2 years later gave Brad Drew a footballing lesson after it was revealed that Moran would be replaced by Drew in the 2001 squad.

johnkolc

Juniors
Probably the game of the season that one. Watch for the 10 minute period after halftime. We break Fairleigh's nose in the opening tackle of the second half then spend the next few minutes bashing them after the ref blows an unfair penalty against us. I'm pretty sure you can hear Dean Pay telling Kelvin Jeffes 'you're just penalising us for good defence'.

In the ensuing set, in one tackle I swear there are 7 tacklers that swarm in to bash one of their blokes.

fanool

Juniors
Yes - One of my favourites. I was in the Ken Thornett Stand and witnessed the best defensive set of 6 in my life.

As for Moran being the Semi Final Man...................

I do recall a knock on in front of the posts int he 2000 Prelim vs the Broncos late in the 2nd chance giving them good field position for a try in a game we lost by 6............

But I blame that loss to a weak tackle by cayless on Brad Thorn who scored the winner. It may have been Tallis. Shame though. I think we had Robbo in that team too.

I think this year has been very similar to 2000. We were up and down all season before the semis.

It would be great to emulate the run in the semis we had. Finished 7th then belted the Roosters and the Panthers and I reckon if there was another 10 min in the Broncos game we would have reeled em in.

fanool

Juniors
I forgot to mention that it was the previous round that JT broke his nose as I recall. Moran just gave him a reminder. I think Fairleigh also copped a smashed up face too during the game. I guess we will find out tonight. I have already told the missus that she will ned to find something else to do tonight!

bradeel

Juniors
do you reckon there's any chance that any of our players would be watching that Norths game tonight? I reckon someone needs to put a call into the club to ask them to tune in. I am getting very fired up remembering that game and I am sitting in an office in Melbourne with very little recourse to reenact the pain that our pack caused that day - one can only imagine how it might make the players feel as they prepare for this Sunday.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
bradeel said:
imagine the Parramatta Eels winning a game after being totally down and out in the first half and dominating the 2nd!! This is the sort of stuff that happens to other clubs but not us... Was in shock that day. Will have to watch again to be sure...

Thats why it was a great win in the clubs history.

I dont know if we wouldve come back if the score was still 12-0 at halftime, we got a dud call from the video ref (nothing's changed :roll: ), then about 2 minutes later we bounced back with a try to Kelly.

That fired us up after that. Brian Smith was knocking on the video ref box "Is that a fair try ref?"

How Kelvin Jeffes kept refereeing after 1997, I will never know. In fact I think his last game wouldve involved Parramatta playing the Storm at Melbourne in 2000. Didnt he have a shocker??

He keeps showing up in the "Magic Moments in the 90s" DVD.

I hope Parramatta watching this will fire them up for this Sunday, we had good games in a row, who could forget beating the Broncos the week after.