What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets go back to Eastern Suburbs

Simple fact is we have not been officially called "Easts" since 1994, that is 20 years ago. I don't think we are ever going back to it folks so you just need to build a bridge and get over it.

I mean by the logic some postulate, we should ditch being called "Roosters" and go back to being known as the Tri-Colours as that was our original nick name :sarcasm:

RoosTah

Juniors
Originally Posted by hutch View Post
eastern suburbs of what though? we are meant to be a national competition, you cant just assume eastern suburbs means sydney. we all know what it means, but outsiders wouldnt know what eastern suburbs means.

i like east sydney or eastern sydney roosters. still maintains the 'easts' roots, but a clearer definition of the area they represent!

outsiders are new fans, members, sponsors, merchandise sales, just a thought ;-)

Eastern Sydney is the obvious solution to clarify the region beyond the local market, but I actually don't think it matters if people don't know where the Eastern Suburbs are. As I said, I've met people who thought Manchester was in bloody Scotland and claimed to be fans of Man U despite having an association with the UK that extends about as far as having once watched an episode of Downtown Abbey.

The notion that outsiders need to know about the region a team represents is quite demonstrably wrong. It's the personalities that draw people in. Man-U are the current incarnation of the Chicago Bulls and both prove you don't need people to know a thing about the region a team is from to make fans out of them. When I was in school in the 90s I remember everyone being obsessed with the Chicago Bulls and Michael Jordan.

Do you think anyone knew what state Chicago was in? It's population? Demographics? Industry? People knew f**k all about the place, but that didn't stop them wanting to buy Bulls singlets and merchandise.

Change us back to Eastern Suburbs... the idea that the name has to be broader and more recognizable is the most laughable bullshit I've ever heard and there are countless examples that prove it wrong. Heck, when I lived in Japan I met people at uni who claimed to like the All Blacks and had their jerseys but thought they were an Australian team!

goodplayer

Juniors
Eastern Sydney is the obvious solution to clarify the region beyond the local market, but I actually don't think it matters if people don't know where the Eastern Suburbs are. As I said, I've met people who thought Manchester was in bloody Scotland and claimed to be fans of Man U despite having an association with the UK that extends about as far as having once watched an episode of Downtown Abbey.

The notion that outsiders need to know about the region a team represents is quite demonstrably wrong. It's the personalities that draw people in. Man-U are the current incarnation of the Chicago Bulls and both prove you don't need people to know a thing about the region a team is from to make fans out of them. When I was in school in the 90s I remember everyone being obsessed with the Chicago Bulls and Michael Jordan.

Do you think anyone knew what state Chicago was in? It's population? Demographics? Industry? People knew f**k all about the place, but that didn't stop them wanting to buy Bulls singlets and merchandise.

Change us back to Eastern Suburbs... the idea that the name has to be broader and more recognizable is the most laughable bullshit I've ever heard and there are countless examples that prove it wrong. Heck, when I lived in Japan I met people at uni who claimed to like the All Blacks and had their jerseys but thought they were an Australian team!
you met 2 people that were confused about manunited ok,

1 person in japan thats confused about nz all blacks , next

chicago bulls, sydney roosters, most people with money to spend on merchandise knows where chicago , sydney , bondi , is ;-)

RoosTah

Juniors
you met 2 people that were confused about manunited ok,

1 person in japan thats confused about nz all blacks , next

chicago bulls, sydney roosters, most people with money to spend on merchandise knows where chicago , sydney , bondi , is ;-)

Those are anecdotal examples to illustrate the rather obvious and empirically demonstrable fact that ignorance of the region a team represents does not hinder its ability to draw support from those with no knowledge or connection to it.

Or do you think that kids in Sydney decided to support the Chicago Bulls in the '90s because they fell in love with the romance of Chicago's once might auto industry? Of course they didn't. They fell in love with them because they were successful, all over the TV and had this guy name Michael Jordon.

It's the same with Manchester United. If their regional attachment was an issue, they wouldn't have a global support base.

Let's put it another way, since changing to the "Sydney Roosters" in what way have we outstripped the more localised "South Sydney" in gaining new members? We haven't. If anything it undermined our club by denying our history, because the name change was always a cheap tactic based on superficial and clearly false research that isn't based in the real world.

saint.nick

Coach
Simple fact is we have not been officially called "Easts" since 1994, that is 20 years ago. I don't think we are ever going back to it folks so you just need to build a bridge and get over it.

I mean by the logic some postulate, we should ditch being called "Roosters" and go back to being known as the Tri-Colours as that was our original nick name :sarcasm:

Well he dogs did it about 4 years ago. They went from cb bulldogs, to Sydney bulldogs (with the cartoonish dog face with paper ears), then to just 'bulldogs', and now finally back to cb bulldogs. So you could argue that dogs fans used to hold the exact same feelings.

Well he dogs did it about 4 years ago. They went from cb bulldogs, to Sydney bulldogs (with the cartoonish dog face with paper ears), then to just 'bulldogs', and now finally back to cb bulldogs. So you could argue that dogs fans used to hold the exact same feelings.

So cause the Bulldogs did it we should eh? That is specious reasoning in my opinion. I mean they cheated the salary cap, should we do that too? :crazy:

Also I don't think it is a good comparison to use. The Bulldogs changed their nae to the Sydney Bulldogs for 1 year, and that was 1995. They then changed in 1996 to the Canterbury Bulldogs, before just "Bulldogs" in 2000, before going back to Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in 2010. Our club went to Sydney City Roosters in 1995, and then Sydney Roosters in 2000.

RoosTah

Juniors
So cause the Bulldogs did it we should eh? That is specious reasoning in my opinion. I mean they cheated the salary cap, should we do that too? :crazy:

Also I don't think it is a good comparison to use. The Bulldogs changed their nae to the Sydney Bulldogs for 1 year, and that was 1995. They then changed in 1996 to the Canterbury Bulldogs, before just "Bulldogs" in 2000, before going back to Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in 2010. Our club went to Sydney City Roosters in 1995, and then Sydney Roosters in 2000.

The point is that 20 years on who calls the team "Sydney"? No one. What do the fans chant at our games? "Easts!!" Not "Sydney!". No one has ever accepted the change, the fans least of all. It's time to stop pretending that the change has been anything but a shallow and counterproductive marketing tactic.

saint.nick

Coach

...no, not at all what I was saying. My point is, it probably seemed very unlikely to a lot of dogs fans that the 'bulldogs' name would be changed any time soon back to Canterbury Bankstown. But it did change. Therefore, IMO, to completely rule out a change from the Roosters' management would be foolish.

saint.nick

Coach
The only difference that calling yourself 'Sydney' provides is attracting the support of a young, completely ignorant child because he thought that Roosters were the team from Sydney, and every other team is out of town.

saint.nick

Coach
The point is that 20 years on who calls the team "Sydney"? No one. What do the fans chant at our games? "Easts!!" Not "Sydney!". No one has ever accepted the change, the fans least of all. It's time to stop pretending that the change has been anything but a shallow and counterproductive marketing tactic.

Exactly. Calling yourself Sydney gives a false impression that you represent every single bit of Sydney, which is obviously false. I highly doubt that most people especially from South Western and Western Sydney could identify with the area that the Roosters come from...

Actually, most of the chants are "Roosters". The only "Easts" chant that strikes up regularly is the one that sounds to me like a group of people with constipation.

By the way, the Bulldogs did not stop being called "Bulldogs" at all.

I don't agree with you. I think it retrograde for no reason. You don't agree. Fine, no problem. But your reasoning has been specious to me as it follows no logic. It follows some emotional need.

As I said I don't see it happening.

Good day. :)

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah, the only Easts chant the ever happens is the Easts chant that happens multiple times every week.

Nice logic there.

Yeah, the only Easts chant the ever happens is the Easts chant that happens multiple times every week.

Nice logic there.

One chant, chanted the same way multiple times during a game is still one chant. That is logic. Don't know what your problem is nor what you are trying to say.

adamkungl

Immortal
One chant, chanted the same way multiple times during a game is still one chant. That is logic. Don't know what your problem is nor what you are trying to say.

Well, your point was both not really a point, and incorrect.

Fact - our fans chant Easts quite often during games, and never Sydney.

The Chookpen also starts every game with a "Give me an E...A...S...T...S... EASTS!" chant as well, so there's also that.

And our club song played after a win... yep, also Easts.

If someone would do us all a favour and reinstate rabbit season it would actually help in ensuring your mob represent the whole area, rather than the vermin infesting the joint

strong_latte

Juniors
They should never have changed it. Simple as that, as all it ever has done is confuse outsiders and annoy the rusted on fans.

Actually, most of the chants are "Roosters". The only "Easts" chant that strikes up regularly is the one that sounds to me like a group of people with constipation.

By the way, the Bulldogs did not stop being called "Bulldogs" at all.

I don't agree with you. I think it retrograde for no reason. You don't agree. Fine, no problem. But your reasoning has been specious to me as it follows no logic. It follows some emotional need.

As I said I don't see it happening.

Good day. :)

So you support maintaining a name switch that was done with faulty logic that did nothing but confuse people, but don't support changing it back in spite of the fact no one has ever taken the rebrand seriously?

There's some fuzzy logic too.

RoosTah

Juniors
They should never have changed it. Simple as that, as all it ever has done is confuse outsiders and annoy the rusted on fans.

So you support maintaining a name switch that was done with faulty logic that did nothing but confuse people, but don't support changing it back in spite of the fact no one has ever taken the rebrand seriously?

There's some fuzzy logic too.

Exactly. The insistence on keeping us 'Sydney' is merely a dogged refusal to admit this cheap marketing tactic has failed.

Latest posts