What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets go back to Eastern Suburbs

God-King Dean

Immortal
Should be called The Central Stations. Logo can be a Bus or a Long Walk Up a Steep f**king Hill.

Would get more fans to the games, therefore more revenue.

saint.nick

Coach
One chant, chanted the same way multiple times during a game is still one chant. That is logic. Don't know what your problem is nor what you are trying to say.

What kind of f**king logic does your opinion follow then? Let's not fix something that's broken. Okay then.

Well, your point was both not really a point, and incorrect.

Fact - our fans chant Easts quite often during games, and never Sydney.

The Chookpen also starts every game with a "Give me an E...A...S...T...S... EASTS!" chant as well, so there's also that.

And our club song played after a win... yep, also Easts.

I stand corrected. That is two separate distinctive chants. In terms of variety of chant it is bog ordinary compared to the Turner Stand Army days, which I know about from first hand experience.

Also where did I say they chant "Sydney"? Never said that thanks.

Exactly. The insistence on keeping us 'Sydney' is merely a dogged refusal to admit this cheap marketing tactic has failed.

Yes it has failed so much the club are rushing to change it as we speak. Obviously it is not a big deal to the power brokers within our club, the administrators nor the members of the football club.

What kind of f**king logic does your opinion follow then? Let's not fix something that's broken. Okay then.

Sorry, I don't respond to people who swear at me. So you can go jump dope.

RoosTah

Juniors
Also where did I say they chant "Sydney"? Never said that thanks.

So why are we called Sydney then?

Yes it has failed so much the club are rushing to change it as we speak. Obviously it is not a big deal to the power brokers within our club, the administrators nor the members of the football club.

They're focused on the footy at finals time understandably, but what exactly did changing our name to "Sydney" achieve? If you're a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kinda guy, then can you answer why was it was changed in the first place? Because it sure as shit wasn't broke...

The Bulldogs changed their name back to the very specific Canterbury-Bankstown and yet they have pretty well the same number of members as us despite our much greater success on the field the last two seasons. Meanwhile South Sydney is more region specific and has a much larger membership base.

There's something to be said for honouring your heritage, and I as much as I don't like them, I respect the Dogs for cutting the bullshit and going back to their roots, and I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of EASTS fans would agree we would do well to do the same.

saint.nick

Coach
So why are we called Sydney then?

They're focused on the footy at finals time understandably, but what exactly did changing our name to "Sydney" achieve? If you're a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kinda guy, then can you answer why was it was changed in the first place? Because it sure as shit wasn't broke...

The Bulldogs changed their name back to the very specific Canterbury-Bankstown and yet they have pretty well the same number of members as us despite our much greater success on the field the last two seasons. Meanwhile South Sydney is more region specific and has a much larger membership base.

There's something to be said for honouring your heritage, and I as much as I don't like them, I respect the Dogs for cutting the bullshit and going back to their roots, and I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of EASTS fans would agree we would do well to do the same.

I think you should edit out 'shit', because swear words deeply offend him.

saint.nick

Coach

Wait, you're so naive to think that every single decision your club makes is the correct decision? There's shit going on at my footy club which isn't right to us fans yet doesn't seem like a big deal to our buffoon board of directors either.

When your team is in the midst of a finals charge, anything off-the-field related is not a big deal.

Sorry, I don't respond to people who swear at me. So you can go jump dope.

I find it deeply amusing that you tried to establish a moral high ground over me by refusing to directly answer my comment because it contained a swear word, and then in your next sentence you completely ruined your moral high ground by telling me to kill myself. That's classic :lol:

Lambretta

First Grade
Should be called The Central Stations. Logo can be a Bus or a Long Walk Up a Steep f**king Hill.

Would get more fans to the games, therefore more revenue.

Its a short stroll and the hill isn't even steep.
There is one section that has a bit of a slope for about 100 metres and there are pubs at the bottom and top so you can stop for drinks if it gets too much.

strong_latte

Juniors
Its a short stroll and the hill isn't even steep.
There is one section that has a bit of a slope for about 100 metres and there are pubs at the bottom and top so you can stop for drinks if it gets too much.

Central station? Roosters fans don't come from there... it's easier to just bus it to oxford st and walk down the hill :D

Lambretta

First Grade
Central station? Roosters fans don't come from there... it's easier to just bus it to oxford st and walk down the hill :D

I go to the game with 6 mates

Two of us come from the North Shore
One from Alexandria
One from Kogarah
Two from Ashfield
One from Dulwich Hill

We all arrive by train, then meet at the Aurora next to Central Station and walk to the Cricketers for another beer before heading to the stadium.

I go to the game with 6 mates

Two of us come from the North Shore
One from Alexandria
One from Kogarah
Two from Ashfield
One from Dulwich Hill

We all arrive by train, then meet at the Aurora next to Central Station and walk to the Cricketers for another beer before heading to the stadium.

Going back home after the game last week, I boarded a train on the Bankstown line and was amazed to see how many Easts fans were travelling on it.

redandgreenduck

Juniors
So cause the Bulldogs did it we should eh? That is specious reasoning in my opinion. I mean they cheated the salary cap, should we do that too? :crazy:

Also I don't think it is a good comparison to use. The Bulldogs changed their nae to the Sydney Bulldogs for 1 year, and that was 1995. They then changed in 1996 to the Canterbury Bulldogs, before just "Bulldogs" in 2000, before going back to Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in 2010. Our club went to Sydney City Roosters in 1995, and then Sydney Roosters in 2000.
You takin the piss....

Ozzy

First Grade
You could have put more thought into that.

Something like Fu$&ing useless bunch of geniuss....closer to the mark I think
:lol: Nah I didn't want to be THAT mean. I don't have anything against Cronulla (your number 1 "supporter" though is a different story).

No, I wasn't making much sense yesterday. That's what I get for trying to post when I've had 4 hours sleep in the previous 48 hours (thanks work). :)

If we change our name, it is no skin off my nose. I just don't have a hangup about it either.

It also doesn't mean that we ignore our history either. Otherwise why document it? Why celebrate it?

What I was trying to get to is that whilst a number of you have a loving attachment to Eastern Suburbs as a a name for our club, you haven't been able to marshall many logical reasons. Main one has been "well the Bulldogs changed their name back" or "the name change has failed". You have not provided any compelling, logical reasons that would persuade the people who run our club to do so. That is why I said I don't see it happening.

Changing the name back would mean costs to the club. I don't know how much, but it would be more than a few bucks, and that is why I doubt it will happen. Passion without reason won't win the argument. If yo0u want change, you have to to be able to give reasons based n more than just passion.

Finally, as to where our fans come from. The club have known for years that most of their supporters don't live in the eastern suburbs.

RoosTah

Juniors
No, I wasn't making much sense yesterday. That's what I get for trying to post when I've had 4 hours sleep in the previous 48 hours (thanks work). :)

If we change our name, it is no skin off my nose. I just don't have a hangup about it either.

It also doesn't mean that we ignore our history either. Otherwise why document it? Why celebrate it?

What I was trying to get to is that whilst a number of you have a loving attachment to Eastern Suburbs as a a name for our club, you haven't been able to marshall many logical reasons. Main one has been "well the Bulldogs changed their name back" or "the name change has failed". You have not provided any compelling, logical reasons that would persuade the people who run our club to do so. That is why I said I don't see it happening.

Changing the name back would mean costs to the club. I don't know how much, but it would be more than a few bucks, and that is why I doubt it will happen. Passion without reason won't win the argument. If yo0u want change, you have to to be able to give reasons based n more than just passion.

The point many of have made is there was never a rational reason for changing it in the first place. As you say, it's been 20 years since the club have been called Easts officially, yet not a single fan or commentator refers to the team as "Sydney". The rebrand has therefore quite clearly been rejected for the silly marketing tactic that it is.

The team has seen an increase in membership this year thank to the premiership, but the name change achieved absolutely nothing and the fans all love the old school paraphernalia - hence why the club is increasingly making merchandise with the old logo.

It will cost a bit of money to rebrand, but it won't brake the bank - the logo change will be the most expensive thing and that sort of thing will be a mere few grand (we're not about to hire Apple's logo designer aferall - we already have all that in place).

If anything, with the successful sales of all the retro kit this year with the old easts logo, the club would make money back on the increased merchandise from people buying the new jerseys.

You cannot call the team Eastern Suburbs until the club gets control of the junior setup in the actual Eastern Suburbs. That means that Randwick and Coogee should be taken away from South Sydney and give to the Eastern Suburbs. The current situation, whereby the NSWRL stole some of our suburbs and gave them to Souths, is intolerable.

strong_latte

Juniors
You cannot call the team Eastern Suburbs until the club gets control of the junior setup in the actual Eastern Suburbs. That means that Randwick and Coogee should be taken away from South Sydney and give to the Eastern Suburbs. The current situation, whereby the NSWRL stole some of our suburbs and gave them to Souths, is intolerable.

Agreed. But I still think having our name officially Eastern Suburbs (or 'Eastern Sydney' if a compromise really is necessary) makes sense given that people have never accepted us as "Sydney" - just like they never accepted it when half the other Sydney teams tried it in that mad period in the 1990s when the clubs imagined that they could just change their name and people wouldn't notice.

The team has seen an increase in membership this year thank to the premiership, but the name change achieved absolutely nothing and the fans all love the old school paraphernalia - hence why the club is increasingly making merchandise with the old logo.

If anything, with the successful sales of all the retro kit this year with the old easts logo, the club would make money back on the increased merchandise from people buying the new jerseys.

Yeah, I love all the retro stuff they've brought out this year - I've pretty well bought all of it I reckon, and I would absolutely buy a new jersey if the rebrand went ahead, but probably won't otherwise as I still have the centenary jersey, and thing it's the best one for ages.

Last edited:

alien

Referee
The first one would be pretty good with a red chook IMO.

1z6qssw.jpg

RoosTah

Juniors
Yeah, I love all the retro stuff they've brought out this year - I've pretty well bought all of it I reckon, and I would absolutely buy a new jersey if the rebrand went ahead, but probably won't otherwise as I still have the centenary jersey, and thing it's the best one for ages.

Me too - it's all great stuff and I reckon it makes pretty good every day wear as well with the T-Shirts. It's actually some of the best looking fan gear the Roosters have put out.

It will cost a bit of money to rebrand, but it won't brake the bank - the logo change will be the most expensive thing and that sort of thing will be a mere few grand (we're not about to hire Apple's logo designer aferall - we already have all that in place).

Just re-designing the logo is not the only associated cost with rebranding. It also applies to things like stationery, signage, the player's gear and associated things as well. Whilst I don't know how much it would cost, having seen it when Government Departments change their names for political reasons (I am a public servant so I do have some knowledge on this) it is not as small a measure as people seem to think.

As to retro stuff, I know plenty of people who are roosters fans and think it looks crap and don't buy it. As such I would rather see some hard data before accepting your assertions on that matter thanks (and no, I don't expect you to have it :) ). Also just because people buy or were given retro gear (e.g. Member's hoodies were given out as part of membership packages this year) does not necessarily mean they all want the name changed.