What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lion Red ending sponsorship of Warriors

Blake

Juniors
Does this matter to any of the fans? Woodstock to become new alcohol sponsor of the Warriors I suppose.

Blair

Coach
I'd prefer alcohol to stay away from sport altogether. It doesn't need to be promoted.

LeagueNut

First Grade
It'd be interesting to hear more about this. Lion Red has been associated with RL in NZ for as long as I can remember.

I haven't been able to touch Woodstock since polishing off about fifteen buckets of the stuff at a bar in Royal Oak eight years ago. :sto:

Juju

Juniors
I think this will affect what beer is served at the ground - next season we will probably have "wild buck" beer which is gross.
Lion Red aint much better but its a tradition for me at the games.

Blake

Juniors
It'd be interesting to hear more about this. Lion Red has been associated with RL in NZ for as long as I can remember.

I haven't been able to touch Woodstock since polishing off about fifteen buckets of the stuff at a bar in Royal Oak eight years ago. :sto:

The increased negative association with alcohol and sports is turning the breweries off the idea of supporting sports teams.

Next in line? Wellington 7's will be hit with a major sponsor pulling back or pulling out altogether.

tangalife

Juniors
Ahh the old 4 pack of woodies ($10) days when I was a teen... eventually graduated into 12 box of codies for $20 lol.

WellsNZ

Juniors
I'd prefer alcohol to stay away from sport altogether. It doesn't need to be promoted.

Too much money for that to happen.

Not that I disagree, it's funny how the NRL bombards people with alcohol and gambling advertising, then those factors end up causing so many problems. We have so many drinking related problems each year, but basically every team is sponsored by an alcohol company (if not an alcohol and gambling company), Wild Turkey Bourbon Super Saturday, Woodstock sponsors the stuff over here, XXXX Maroons vs VB Blues etc.

They pay the bills though.

ozbash

Referee
most wendys tucker carries the heart assoc tick..

totally agree with Blair,, we don't need it.

Skinner

Coach
Lion has single handedly kept Rugby League going in Auckland for many years (the DB Bitter sponsorship of the early Auckland Warriors was a political aberration that involved my club, Northcote, and the Mt Albert Club). I understand the backlash against brewery sponsorship, but I just don't see too many industries waiting in the wings to take over. Most industries these days just don't have the margins to get the wallet out. Smokes went, now it's piss.......maybe the fun police and the wowsers have to dig a bit deeper at the gate.

most wendys tucker carries the heart assoc tick..

If that's legit then I am against the sponsorship even more. Health effects are more likely to be caused by obesity than anything in particular in the burgers (although meat is a well known carcinogenic). Wendy's (and other fast food chain's) burgers are ridiculously calorie dense. If those that are uneducated about nutrition, probably correlates with the rugby league fan base, get the slightest idea that the heart foundation tick on burgers means they are "healthy" then that's criminal IMO.

I'm more talking about death in general rather than death of humans though. Countless death and suffering of animals (Mmmm quadruple double [tortured] bacon). There was also a study on the news the other week that one portion of beef has as much toll on the environment as driving 500km. Don't quote me on that, I can't be arsed looking it up, but if it's anything in that magnitude it's ridiculous.

Point is, if you want to point fingers at sponsorships then you're opening a whole can of worms. I feel like I can have a whinge because this account is anonymous. I'm a massive Warriors fan but you couldn't pay me to wear merch with the Wendy's label on it.

Blair

Coach
If that's legit then I am against the sponsorship even more. Health effects are more likely to be caused by obesity than anything in particular in the burgers (although meat is a well known carcinogenic). Wendy's (and other fast food chain's) burgers are ridiculously calorie dense. If those that are uneducated about nutrition, probably correlates with the rugby league fan base, get the slightest idea that the heart foundation tick on burgers means they are "healthy" then that's criminal IMO.

I'm more talking about death in general rather than death of humans though. Countless death and suffering of animals (Mmmm quadruple double [tortured] bacon). There was also a study on the news the other week that one portion of beef has as much toll on the environment as driving 500km. Don't quote me on that, I can't be arsed looking it up, but if it's anything in that magnitude it's ridiculous.

Point is, if you want to point fingers at sponsorships then you're opening a whole can of worms. I feel like I can have a whinge because this account is anonymous. I'm a massive Warriors fan but you couldn't pay me to wear merch with the Wendy's label on it.

I'm with you 100% on the factory farming thing, and fast food outlets are the worst at exploiting this practice.

People can eat meat though, I accept that. Most of us grew up that way.

I stopped eating it about five years ago and never looked back. I don't miss it at all, although, the key to getting by as a vegetarian is to be able to cook.

There's also that classic line from Pulp Fiction (Jules to Vincent): 'my girlfriend's a vegetarian, so that pretty much makes me one too!' I got away with it for a few years but then it just became impractical, especially when I do most of the cooking.

And another thing, gee, do you lose weight when you're off the meat!

Last edited:

Latest posts