What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lismore updates

Freak2

Juniors
The Colonel said:
They've only played one game..... hard to see them on fire from the start. It will take some time. The game this weekend should be a better pointer to form given they have blown some cobwebs out.

I'm not death riding them just yet Colonel, simply thought a decision who plays 6 and who plays 7 would have been established.

I will reserve my final judgement to after week 4!:p ;-)

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.northernstar.com.au/loca...localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

Fans clash after Titans match

By JANE GARDNER

jgardner@northernstar.com.au

THE streets of Lismore erupted into shocking alcohol-fuelled violence following Saturday night’s Oakes Oval football match.

Police estimate anywhere from 500 to 1000 revellers spilled into the CBD, many of them intoxicated and unstable.

Only minutes after the game ended, at around 10.30pm, the first brawl broke out on Woodlark Street.

What followed was over 20 brawls broken up by police in the CBD until 5.30am on Sunday.

Two women and two men were charged with various assault and affray offences and will appear in Lismore Court on March 12.

The brawls were so numerous the lock-ups were soon full and police had to let later offenders go home.

Duty officer Sergeant John Ennever said there were at least nine extra police on the streets until dawn dealing with the violence.

A number of people were injured.

Sgt Ennever said police dealt with the situation the best they could under the circumstances.

"Some people were removed from the area and taken back to the station for a short period of time," he said.

"Alcohol was a big factor and we believe many of these people had been drinking at the game.

"Ambulance officers treated a number of people for injuries."

It is believed there were no weapons used in the altercations, just fists.

Patrons at the match were well-behaved, with only two minor incidents occurring shortly after full-time.

As the Titans celebrated their win a young man ran across the field for about 40 seconds before being tackled by police.

Minutes later, another man tried his luck and managed to jump over a fence before being detained.

At that time, Sgt Ennever was preparing officers for a long and eventful night.

His hunch was correct, with the following hours proving to be the busiest night he had seen for some time.

"Only 10 minutes after the game the fights started happening," he said.

"We expected the trouble, but not with so much ferocity."

Most of the violence occurred on Woodlark, Keen and Magellan streets between people of varied ages and mixed ethnicities.

The Colonel

Immortal
Freak2 said:
I'm not death riding them just yet Colonel, simply thought a decision who plays 6 and who plays 7 would have been established.

I'd hope that they change it up during a game as often as possible. Puts the defense in two minds rather than the them playing in the same set position every play. There are even times that Johns isn't the first receiver at Newcastle..... ;-)

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.northernstar.com.au/loca...ocalsport&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

Titans new boys issue early warning

By ADRIAN MILLER

sport@northernstar.com.au

WHEN Gavin Cooper dived on a Matt Hilder chip kick to seal the a 22-10 Titans victory over the Eels at Oakes Oval, Lismore on Saturday night he didn’t just hand the Gold Coast their first win, he sent a message to the entire NRL competition — underestimate us at your peril!

It wasn’t just the fact that the Titans came away with a victory against Parramatta’s strongest available side, in front of a huge crowd of 8612, it was the way in which they notched it which should make the 15 other clubs sit up and take notice.

In what was at times a scrappy affair, with plenty of basic errors made by both sides, the Titans showed their punishing pre-season routine has paid off in a come-from-behind victory.

They not only outlasted an Eels outfit that dominated early territory and possession but they outscored their opponents 18-6 after half-time.

Unlike the previous weekend at Coffs Harbour, when their second-stringers wilted against a late Melbourne Storm onslaught, the Titans seemed to get better as Saturday night’s game progressed as Parramatta made more costly mistakes.

Scott Prince at halfback was the standout performer for the Coast, while hooker Clint Amos and fullback Preston Campbell were also dominant.

In his first game of league since 2001, Mat Rogers went largely unnoticed. His first two touches were knock-ons, after two terrible passes, before his first meaningful touch of the ball on 12 minutes.

He made a handful of tackles before being substituted at half-time.

Titans coach John Cartwright said while it was pleasing to notch an early win, it was the manner in which it was achieved that was most impressive.

"It was a typical early season game in there was a lot of dropped ball but the positive to that is that we held them out," he said.

"That bond we had in the defensive line was great and it’s something you really need to win games when you’re under pressure.

"We probably didn’t play that well, but courage-wise it was 10 out of 10."

While pleased with the win, and in an attempt to ease expectations on his side, Cartwright said people shouldn’t read too much into it.

"It was a trial and Parramatta fielded about 20-odd players as well," he said.

"If you played an NRL game and turned over that much ball you’re never going to win it. I’m very happy with the way we gutsed it out, but technically we need a bit more work."

Gold Coast skipper, Scott Prince, said the team was happy with the win, but wouldn’t be getting carried away.

"A win’s a win," he said. "You embrace it when it comes and there’ll be a spark in our training this week I’m sure; but saying that, there’s a long way yet to go so we’ll have to wait and see."

After the game the Titans did a lap of honour and Prince said they were overwhelmed with their reception.

"The crowd was great and it was good to see all the Titans supporters out there; and hopefully, with the win tonight, we can convert a few fans," he said.

Parramatta coach Michael Hagan said his side wasn’t overly concerned with the loss.

"I don’t know if we’ll put too much on the result," he said. "We’ve got some work to do this week and we look forward to next week. We shouldn’t be too far away for round one.

"I thought our first half was very good in terms of our control and our defence was very sound.

"The second half was a little bit scratchy for both teams and they finished a bit stronger, probably on the back of the possession they had, but I think we can be pretty happy with what we got done."

Stagger eel

Staff member
I wondered why MITS rang me up asking me for details of my personal VISA card..the sound balls and chains in the backround should of give it away. :fist:

El Diablo

Post Whore
eelavation said:
I wondered why MITS rang me up asking me for details of my personal VISA card..the sound balls and chains in the backround should of give it away. :fist:

could've been ringing from a bondage parlour

that would look nice on your CC statement lol

yy_cheng

Coach
Thanks MITs for your round up.

I just have 2 points.

a) I am not overtly concerned but just wanted to mention something about Finch at 7. Alot of people said that he was poor at 7 for the chooks and played much better at 6. So putting him back at 7 may or may not be the best thing.

b) I hope that Hagan uses Hindy sparingly in the trials or play him as a wide runner and order him to stay away from defending the middle. Then the rest of the team doesn't have to rely on him to plug up holes in the middle.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
our lawyers have instructed us not to speak to the press

at least the breakfast was better than the crap they served up in the motel

The Colonel

Immortal
yy_cheng said:
Thanks MITs for your round up.

I just have 2 points.

a) I am not overtly concerned but just wanted to mention something about Finch at 7. Alot of people said that he was poor at 7 for the chooks and played much better at 6. So putting him back at 7 may or may not be the best thing.

Depends on the role they used him in. I don't think he'll start the season at 7 but I do think that he and Tim will alternate at different times between first and second receiver and maybe even play seperate sides of the ruck.

b) I hope that Hagan uses Hindy sparingly in the trials or play him as a wide runner and order him to stay away from defending the middle. Then the rest of the team doesn't have to rely on him to plug up holes in the middle.

I have heard that it is unlikely Hindy will play any of the trial games.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Twizzle said:
our lawyers have instructed us not to speak to the press

at least the breakfast was better than the crap they served up in the motel

was that because you apparently did your talking out in the streets?