What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lockyer - Hunt

ozbash

Referee
Gasnier and Thurston specifically, ripped the Kiwi defence apart a few times. They set up our only 2 tries. Both teams were quality and very evenly matched, our backline brilliance is what won it for us though.

lol, what game were you watching ? soliola was all over gasnier and thurston had a quiet game for his standards.

Big Pete

Referee
What did Brent Tate do to get the worst player? He made some good darts, one of which easily picked up 20-25m as well as scoring a try (credit goes to Hindmarsh, Ryan and Gasnier though). The only bad thing Tate did was throw that forward pass however it wasn't an easy pass to throw by any means, Thurston was 20 metres away, Tate was near the sideline, had to pass it above 3 other Kiwi's and he couldn't exactly pass it to Gasnier who was in the middle of the Kiwi defence. By no means was he the worst player, what about O'Meley, Tupou or heck wonder kid Inglis who managed to blow a match winning oppurtunity?

Gasnier blew a lot of oppurtunities too, take off the Blue NSWs glasses. There were two occasions where Gasnier had a man open and one time he tripped himself over, the other he forgot to pass the ball and got collard. Not saying Gasnier had a bad game by any means however Tate was not the worst on field.

Big Pete

Referee
ozbash said:
Gasnier and Thurston specifically, ripped the Kiwi defence apart a few times. They set up our only 2 tries. Both teams were quality and very evenly matched, our backline brilliance is what won it for us though.

lol, what game were you watching ? soliola was all over gasnier and thurston had a quiet game for his standards.

???

Gasnier
Hit Ups: 8
Metres Gain: 113
Line Breaks: 3
Tackles: 20
Missed Tackles: 2

Soliola
Hit Ups: 14
Metres Gain: 108
Line Breaks: 1
Tackles: 20
Missed Tackles: 3

Yeah...Soliola really carved up Gasnier didn't he?

Jones didn't do anything special that Thurston did not. Also Thurston threaten the line a lot of times, not just in Golden Point. His goal kicking alone kept Australia in the game.

badav

Bench
mxlegend99 said:
You made out as though Lockyer was the only Aussie to watch out for. Others pointed out the likes of Thurston and Gasnier and you shrugged them off.

The worst player on the field was easily Brent Tate IMO.

Gasnier??? All gasnier did was hog the ball and try to beat 8 defenders every time he had it. He's just a glory hog and he bombed a certain try. He either holds it up till its too late or just doesnt pass because he wants to go himself

mxlegend99

Referee
Big Pete said:
What did Brent Tate do to get the worst player? He made some good darts, one of which easily picked up 20-25m as well as scoring a try (credit goes to Hindmarsh, Ryan and Gasnier though). The only bad thing Tate did was throw that forward pass however it wasn't an easy pass to throw by any means,
You must have missed his kick also? He kicked it far too deep and it wasn't the last. Absolutely no reason to kick it.

Big Pete said:
Gasnier blew a lot of oppurtunities too, take off the Blue NSWs glasses. There were two occasions where Gasnier had a man open and one time he tripped himself over, the other he forgot to pass the ball and got collard. Not saying Gasnier had a bad game by any means however Tate was not the worst on field.
Gasnier made mistakes, but Gasnier done a lot right too. Tate didn't really make up for his mistakes. Just like last week. He has a try handed to him from hard work of other players, but offers little else. He blew an opportunity last week, and did the same this week.

It has nothing to do with which Origin team i support. Thurston, Lockyer, Inglis, Hunt, Smith etc. are all QLD'ers, and i think they were all great. Tate was clearly not up to the standards King had set and if i think this it's apparently because i'm a Blues supporter?

Only a QLD'er/Broncos supporter could honestly think Tate did a better job then King has.

ozbash said:

The one where Gasnier and Thurston had a combined amount of 4 linebreaks to the Kiwis 1 in total. 3 of which were Gasnier. The last which was the match winning try.

badav said:
Gasnier??? All gasnier did was hog the ball and try to beat 8 defenders every time he had it. He's just a glory hog and he bombed a certain try. He either holds it up till its too late or just doesnt pass because he wants to go himself
No, he just has no faith in his winger. For good reason. On more then one occassion Tate has blown what was a certain try. If Gasnier holds onto it, he might get tackled, but atleast it won't be knocked on.

He setup the opening try also. If he had Matt King outside him, he would have had more confidence in passing to the wing. I wouldn't give Tate the ball either.

JJ

Immortal
:roll:

For all the talk of "ripping up the kiwi defence" let's remember that at the end of regulation time we were down to 14 players and were still 2 tries to 1 up.

Big Pete

Referee
I did forget about that kick. However you're saying he was the worst player on the field when he made what two mistakes? One was a pass that only Joey Johns could've thrown and the other one was just stupidity.

Gasnier had the room handed to him. Tate got bugger all ball and the only time he did it was from dummy half. King could not of done much better than Tate to be honest, the ball rarely got out to that wing because Gasnier held it up.

Has King scored a try for Australia? Let alone a try like Tate did in the Tri Nations last year? Seems to me Tate has a good past, King just has a string of solid performances to his name.

Again however you did not listen and probably ignored my last comment when I said King should've been selected a head of Tate on the wing in THIS YEARS final. All I ever said was Tate was a better player at his best, a matter of opinion from watching the two play.

Big Pete

Referee
Pretty sure also Matt King over ran a Mark Gasnier pass in the first game. So much for having full confidence in a player MX?

mxlegend99

Referee
JJ said:
:roll:

For all the talk of "ripping up the kiwi defence" let's remember that at the end of regulation time we were down to 14 players and were still 2 tries to 1 up.
You did very well in defence. Only a few blokes troubled you guys. Gasnier was one of the main ones. Even when we made a linebreak you guys managed to make up for it. 3 linebreaks is quiet a lot though. Especially for one player.

Fortunately for the Kiwi's, Australia were f**ked and kept taking the penalty goals rather then going for 6. IMO, a stupid move when we had such great field position at the time.

edit
Big Pete said:
Pretty sure also Matt King over ran a Mark Gasnier pass in the first game. So much for having full confidence in a player MX?
One mistake. Nowhere did i claim Matt King was perfect. But he is far better then Tate. And i couldn't see him having made the same errors that Tate did. I am not a supporter of either the Storm or Bronco's, and it's unbiased opinion that King is better. State has nothing to do with it either, as i rate Inglis ahead of both... likewise with Lockyer or Thurston.

and one mistake is not reason for losing confidence in a player. Lockyer made an error with a kick early on last night, i didn't lose faith in him. I have no faith in Tate as in his last 2 games he hasn't done much at all and has made a lot of errors still.

mxlegend99

Referee
Big Pete said:
Has King scored a try for Australia? Let alone a try like Tate did in the Tri Nations last year? Seems to me Tate has a good past, King just has a string of solid performances to his name.

Again however you did not listen and probably ignored my last comment when I said King should've been selected a head of Tate on the wing in THIS YEARS final. All I ever said was Tate was a better player at his best, a matter of opinion from watching the two play.
Who gives a crap about last year? Who gives a crap about previous form? On previous form, Luke Rooney would have gotten a run. As it stands now, i wouldn't want him in the Panthers jersey flegg squad.

Tate is not a sh*t player. I'd take him at the Panthers any day of the week (as a centre, not a winger). But for Australia, he is the weakest link IMO. Of Hunt, Gasnier, Hodges, Inglis, Lockyer and Thurston, Tate was just out of place IMO. Gasnier and King work very well together, Gasnier and Tate don't. Both make more errors when combined. Gasnier has stopped passing the ball to Tate after last week.

Tate could well have done much better with more ball. But in what little ball he did have... he made 2 errors with plays that wouldn't even have crossed Matt Kings mind.

Big Pete

Referee
I'm not saying select Tate on his past form, I was just providing reasons why he probably got in. Tate lifts for the big games, watch Origin 2 and 3 and last time he played for Aus he was good.

Again I think we're pretty much agreeing with one another. King should've been selected, but again Tate wasn't sh*thouse, he just got SFA ball. To be honest I don't think anyone played horrible and we should just be happy Australia won the Tri Nations.

ozbash

Referee
Gasnier blew a lot of oppurtunities too, take off the Blue NSWs glasses.

take off your green and gold ones :lol:

gasnier didnt have his usual game, your stats prove sfa.

dead right, and hodges, and cutie.

i reckon aussie came away with a veeeery lucky victory on sat night.
should the kiwis have won i would think the same about them.

it was the most even international ive ever seen.

mxlegend99

Referee
Aussies a lucky win? We blew a lot of chances. So yeah, we were lucky we didn't blow more chances. The Kiwi's completed more sets and our errors were extremely high.

On the other hand, we're unlucky it wasn't a bigger win. We had 8 linebreaks to the Kiwi's 1. And made far less mistackles for more completed tackles. We were our biggest enemy.

In the end. Both teams were lucky to have such a great game and that neither was walked over (like the Aussies were last year, and Kiwis have in other years). The real lucky ones are the supporters, who got to see one of the best games ever. Win or lose, i was happy with that game. Winning i was obviously happier. But both teams provided an excellent game for the fans.

JJ

Immortal
the Australian win wasn't lucky... the kiwis put up a monumental performance and given the injuries were handing on by the skin of their teeth... we had our chances though, and could well have won... our defence was great, a draw was a fair result

ozbash

Referee
JJ said:
the Australian win wasn't lucky... the kiwis put up a monumental performance and given the injuries were handing on by the skin of their teeth... we had our chances though, and could well have won... our defence was great, a draw was a fair result

a draw would have been fair.

aussie were lucky stace never converted our tries.

we were unlucky. in a game that even luck played a huge part. there was sfa skill left in the 87th minute.

mxlegend99

Referee
You still had the numbers on the field where it counts. I've seen teams this year with short benches put up courageous efforts and still win. It's never easy, but it isn't much of an excuse IMO.

The right team won at the end of the night though. :)

JJ

Immortal
mxlegend99 said:
You still had the numbers on the field where it counts. I've seen teams this year with short benches put up courageous efforts and still win. It's never easy, but it isn't much of an excuse IMO.

The right team won at the end of the night though. :)

1. Are you saying the Kiwi's effort wasn't courageous? If you are you have NFI!
2. Did any of those teams you're talking about put up these wonderful performances against the Australian team? I thought not, FFS, doing it against the Panthers or Eels is a bit f**king different!

mxlegend99

Referee
JJ said:
1. Are you saying the Kiwi's effort wasn't courageous? If you are you have NFI!
If i was saying it, i would have said it :roll:

JJ said:
2. Did any of those teams you're talking about put up these wonderful performances against the Australian team? I thought not, FFS, doing it against the Panthers or Eels is a bit f**king different!
Actually, more then a few of the times, it has happened against the team that is heavy favourites. :crazy:

I just find it funny that the Kiwis were apparently going to run over top of us, and in the end they were dropping like flies and that's now the excuse they're running with. :lol:

Latest posts