What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lockyer out

Lowdown

Juniors
I'm not surprised. You cant play Rugby League with your face resembling broken egg shells.

It may work in Basketball or soccer...it aint gunna work in a preliminary final against Manly.

FFS - nearly every tackle Manly makes involves some strong head contact. They should rename them the Manly Head Hunters.

Manly odds: $1.01

nrlnrl

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-final-qualifier/story-e6frexnr-1226142424373
BREAKING NEWS: Darren Lockyer has withdrawn from the Broncos team for Friday night's match against Manly after 72 hours of deliberation.
After consultation with the Brisbane Broncos medical staff and coach Anthony Griffin this morning, Lockyer made the heartwrenching decision not to play because of his fractured cheekbone.
He flew to Sydney in a helicopter yesterday sparking suggestions that he would in fact play.
The Broncos will call a press conference early this afternoon to officially announce their legendary skipper is out.
Start of sidebar.

The Daily Telegraph understands boom utility Michael Gillett will play at five-eighth.

I think the editor-at-large means Matt Gillett ( not Michael ! )

apparently the press conference is around 11 this morning, not 1pm

Big Pete

Referee
No, but you take away the best playmaker and captain in a pivotal game and it's always going to be difficult.

analyst

Juniors
just to be clear on things.....lockyer had until 1 hour before kick off to make his decision but if he publicly annouces he wont play well before friday can he still change his mind come friday? what makes it official and binding? what happens if he gets the footy romance burning inside him on friday afternoon and then realises he wants to play? I cant understand why he wouldnt wait until friday he isnt lossing anything by waiting.

greeny12

Juniors
Don't think they are a one man team. But the reason for their success has been from the way Lockyer organises the young team in defence and attack. Now we'll see if they can continue it without him there.

Plus everything the Broncos did on Saturday night (against the Dragons).... came from Lockyer.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Tough call but the right one I'd say.
As stupid as it sounds I was looking forward to Manly playing the Bronco's with Lockyer there. I think his presence would have created more issues for their defensive line.
You'd have to think we're going to win now, but its still a good Bronco's team.
Good luck to Lockyer. I'm sure his missus and kid (in years to come) will appreciate the decision.

Mr Saab

Referee
Oh well, good win Manly....just like 2009 when Brisbane has Lockyer and Carroll in the halves vs the cheating Storm.
This time is is Wallace and Gillett in the halves.....go easy on the Broncos Manly

Brutus

Referee
Phil Rothfield can't be wrong.

I mean it was his publication that today had Adam Blair and Glenn Stewart in the team lists for the weekend.:lol::lol::lol:

Lowdown

Juniors
Brisbane are far from a one-man team. Lockyer is not even their best player - so this can't be true.

But Lockyer's leadership and the confidence he brings to the Broncos will mean Manly will never again have a better chance of getting into a Grand Final than this Friday night.

Brisbane can win it, but they'd have to play a blinder, and Manly would need to do one of the all-time chokes not to get there.

Possible, but unlikely.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Phil Rothfield can't be wrong.

I mean it was his publication that today had Adam Blair and Glenn Stewart in the team lists for the weekend.:lol::lol::lol:

well the Broncos are holding a press conference at 11am

eagles4eva

Coach
I can't get all this crap about Manly winning easily, Bronco's still have a very handy forward pack and some outstanding backs. The Eagles are still missing King & G Stewart.

Stewart alone add's so much to the Eagles attack, i still think it will be close...

Mr Saab

Referee
I can't get all this crap about Manly winning easily, Bronco's still have a very handy forward pack and some outstanding backs. The Eagles are still missing King & G Stewart.

Stewart alone add's so much to the Eagles attack, i still think it will be close...

If Brisbane get within 10 it will be a miracle beyong belief. It will be close for the first 10 mins!

Usain Bolt

Bench
old news, could of told you this when it was confirmed he broke his cheekbone..

No doubt that winning FG and being carried off Suncorp will be the lasting memory and replayed a million times in the future

babyg

Juniors
Damn. Gillett is a very good player and played at 5.8th in the QCUP.

They should use Lockyer as their runner during the game.

analyst

Juniors
if brisbane are down againts manly on friday they wont have the quality talk from lockyer to keep their heads on, I think its going to be more of a mental battle not having him there and they need to know they can still win without him,

I dont know if these young guys can keep going the way the have without his influence on them....Thiaday for captain....I think this could be a good move for the mentality of the younger boys