What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Logos are geting worse

Which are the best club logos re representing their area or heritage, or marketing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GAZF

First Grade
The fact that somebody hasn't stumbled across evidence while not actually looking for it really isn't enough for any reasonable person to draw a conclusion.

From the Penrith Panthers Wikipedia article-

" The inception of Teal into the colour palet of Panthers links directly back to the unique colour their 2nd division jerseys had before brown and white."

From the Sharks Wikipedia article-

"For Cronulla's maiden season in first grade a teal jersey with a white V was adopted from the Cronulla Surf Club despite Cronulla's chocolate and gold design in the Sydney 2nd Division competition. The team colours of black, white and teal changed to sky blue"

Take that as you will. But for me, scant evidence of it being true beats absolutely no evidence of it being false.

I did state I was inclined to believe this is not true. Thats me stating my doubts then supplying my reasons for doubting. I've spent a lot of time over the years casually researching this stuff and I've never come across a mention of teal until people started justifying the Panther using it as one of their colours. From RL1908:

The Cronulla club wore chocolate coloured jerseys with a gold V while in the Sydney 2nd Division competition. However, in October 1966 the club announced that its 1967 playing strip for its Sydney premiership debut would be a sky blue jersey adorned with a white V, the player numbers on the back being red.

According to W.F. Corbett writing in the Sydney Sun: "The blue, white and black colours were adopted from the Cronulla Surf Club." The club badge featured a black outline drawing of Captain Cook's ship the ?Endeavour'. The Cronulla club treasurer, Arthur Winn, explaining at the time: "We used the Endeavour emblem because of our proximity to Botany Bay into which Captain Cook sailed."

Through the 1920s the Penrith side (now known as Waratahs and wearing sky blue jerseys) struggled for survival as it left and then re-entered the competition a number times. Objections to Penrith's inclusion from the clubs to the east was an annual gripe as the burden of travel grew.

The Penrith Panthers though had to dump their blue jersey design after the Cronulla side registered a predominantly blue jersey design first - even though they wore gold and brown in 1966. With Newtown, Canterbury, Easts and Parramatta also displaying various shades of blue Penrith went in search of an alternative. Its not clear why, but the club chose a brown coloured jersey with a white V and shoulder saddle. The Panther badge included a dash of blue to honour its past colour.

Neither state the word "teal". And yes, I consider Sean Fagan a more reliable source than an uncited Wikipedia excerpt.

You may also want to take into account that not everybody defines colours the same way. For example, the Royal Australian Air Force considers their uniform to be midnight blue with a teal shirt, but it looks like this-

04-canberra.jpg

So light blue shades similar to sky blue have obviously been described as "teal" in the past. These days colours have much more set definitions. They have official hexadecimal codes that show exactly what they are. This wasn't the case in the past.

Possible but it doesn't explain the Panthers now using this colour (teal green) if the then description of teal was this colour or even this colour (teal blue).

All of this leads me to one of 4 conclusions:

1. ISC can't manage to reproduce sky blue (pretty unlikely)
  2. The Panthers rewriting history (or are misinformed)
  3. Fan(s) rewriting history (or misinformed)
  4. All evidence of a teal green colour being used has mysteriously disappeared

Prometheus

Juniors
Well I guess the only way we will actually know what went on is if somebody can scrounge up a picture of (or an actual example of) a 60's Penrith jersey from the Sydney 2nd Division competition.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Still, I loved the Warriors away jumper from 11 - and their test jumper just ripped of the old Magpies jumper anyway.

the test jersey is a new zealand rugby league standard. if i recall correctly, every province had the same jersey design, but it was coloured to match the province's representative colours. auckland were blue with a white v, canterbury were red with a black v (correct me if i'm wrong), and so forth.

it makes perfect sense the national team would be black with a white v.

Perth Red

Post Whore
For those who like the Pirates brand there is a whole range of new merchandise available on the warl online store. The ball looks great and would be a great gift for any kid!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I prefer the Reds brand and logo but seeing as we gave it away to soccer and RU when the stupid decision to cull Perth was made and the ignorant general public view of a failed RL team I can live with the change and now is the time to do it. Having the jnr academy and sg ball using the brand is a start to getting it out here and with at least 2-3 years until the Pirates enter the NRL there is heaps of time to establish the brand. When the NRL announce our entry the marketing will go through the roof. Can't wait to see our supporters bay with eye patches, parrots and buxom wenches!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I really think they should look into calling themselves the PNG Cannibals, it has history, it is original and is a kick ass, take no prisoners name, but some people might find it offensive.

If they can't go with Cannibals then they should definitely go with the PNG Vipers.

Png singing dogs
Png crocodiles
Png death adders

The Great Dane

First Grade
Png singing dogs
Png crocodiles
Png death adders

I like them and think they are very appropriate names, but I just think the cannibals is a very good name for a football team and should at lest be seriously be looked into.

I have another idea, its probably not very good for PNG but what the hell, what about calling them the carnivores then having a public vote for what their mascot and logo will be, you could have five or so different options and it would drum up heaps of publicity, it's point of difference from votes for the moniker would be that the name is already decided so people are only voting for the mascot, which equals less risk for the owners of the club if done properly.

For example, if you were going with carnivores you could have some logos made featuring different carnivorous animals, say one with a croc, one death adder, one spider, one lion and one gimmicky option like a t-rex or something then boom let the public vote and let the most popular carnivore win.

GAZF

First Grade
I like them and think they are very appropriate names, but I just think the cannibals is a very good name for a football team and should at lest be seriously be looked into.

I have another idea, its probably not very good for PNG but what the hell, what about calling them the carnivores then having a public vote for what their mascot and logo will be, you could have five or so different options and it would drum up heaps of publicity, it's point of difference from votes for the moniker would be that the name is already decided so people are only voting for the mascot, which equals less risk for the owners of the club if done properly.

For example, if you were going with carnivores you could have some logos made featuring different carnivorous animals, say one with a croc, one death adder, one spider, one lion and one gimmicky option like a t-rex or something then boom let the public vote and let the most popular carnivore win.

You don't seriously think cannibals would get a run in this day and age? I was thinking along the lines of Mudmen, or even Angels.

Lambretta

First Grade
Roosters just copied the design and colours from the French.

No, the Roosters took their colours from the Eastern Suburbs Rugby Union side - the Roosters name was copied from the French as we were already known as the Tri-Colours.

Maybe Easts Union took their colours from the French.

As for the Roosters logo - I like it less and less all the time
GAZF designed some alternatives for us that look like this

Roosters-Logo-Converted.gif

Any of them are better than we currently have

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
If you're going to the name a PNG team it can't be the Cannibals or Mudmen...

Has to be a word from PNG pidgin imo. Something like raskol but without the baggage.

Latest posts