What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Logos are geting worse

Which are the best club logos re representing their area or heritage, or marketing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Panfas

Juniors

Flapper

First Grade
Thanks guys for that insight. I thought some were randomly chosen but obviously not. The Bears choice was really interesting, named after a supermarket and the Roosters after a touring French team. The Panthers one makes sense as I've heard about the giant cats in the Blue Mountains. I thought the Steelers may have been after the steelworks in the area that was probably partly due it but the 1980's US/Australia cross promotion makes a lot of sense with teams such as the Giants, Raiders, Broncos, Jets and Steelers names.

The Titans choosing their name due to a public vote seems a lot like the Brisbane Bombers, WC Pirates with their choice, as local fans are still scratching their heads how these were popular choices and mostly likely dreamt up by marketing companies

I'm almost positive they were called the Steelers purely to try and court BHP into getting behind them in sponsorship form. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Loudstrat

Coach
Could be right. In that case, Brisbane should have been called the Pissheads - to court Powers Brewery.

firechild

First Grade
Manly were never the Seagulls. One journalist mistakenly called them the Seagulls and other reporters copied his error. but they were always officially the Sea Eagles.

Since when have facts been relevant to Loudtwat's inane dribble?

Prometheus

Juniors
I dont know why Penrith chose Wests colour when they dumped the brown. It was a great jersey design though.

It really isn't difficult to figure out why the Panthers dumped brown for black....

Panther.png

Prometheus

Juniors
Penrith have never been black and white.

The closest they have been is black, red, green, yellow and white.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
My wife grew up in Canberra and says that there are a ferw streets around named from Viking/Nordic heritage. She remembers suburbs around/within Woden Valley - Phillip in particular.

Edited

Wikipedia says. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woden_Valley

Woden Valley is a district of Canberra, the capital city of Australia. Its name is taken from the name of a nearby homestead owned by Dr James Murray who named the homestead after the Old English god Woden in October 1837. He named it this as he was to spend his life in the pursuit of wisdom and Woden was amongst other things, the God of wisdom. In 1964 it was the first "satellite city" to be built, separate from the Central Canberra district. It has its own shopping centre, employment opportunities and accommodation with 12 suburbs arranged around the Woden Town Centre. Woden Valley has an approximate population of 31,991.

Woden - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woden

Woden or Wodan (Old English: Ƿōden, Old High German: Wôdan,[2] Old Saxon: Uuôden) is a major deity of Anglo-Saxon and Continental Germanic polytheism. Together with his Norse counterpart Odin, Woden represents a development of the Proto-Germanic god *Wōdanaz. Though less is known about the pre-Christian religion of Anglo-Saxon and continental Germanic peoples than is known about Norse paganism, Woden is attested in English, German, and Dutch toponyms as well as in various texts and pieces of archeological evidence from the Early Middle Ages.

That's not Viking/Norse though, it's Old English. Had it been Norse, the place would've been called Odin.

GAZF

First Grade
It really isn't difficult to figure out why the Panthers dumped brown for black....

Panther.png

Yes, black is the most ideal colour for a team named the "Panthers" but an argument can be made for brown as a secondary colour. Under certain lighting a Panther's coat has a brown sheen.

blackleopard1.JPG

The use of brown on black also allows for more subtle design elements, as the Panthers do with their charcoal on black currently. Ideally a team named the Panthers should be nearly all black. I'd love for them to scrap the teal; teal isn't a working class colour and is better suits a coastal themed team (Orcas?). In preference I'd have the panthers wearing:

1. Black/brown
  2. Black/yellow (panther eyes, simple but unique in NRL)
  3. Black/silver
  4. Black/teal

Billythekid

First Grade
Slightly on topic but i think the pink panthers jersey is one of the best designs in the NRL. It just seems to work and actually kinda makes sense (considering the whole pink panthers thing). Would love to see them use it as an away jersey (kinda fits in with the oak sponsorship and wouldn't clash with any other jerseys). Then again i know this is impossible and most wouldn't like it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's not Viking/Norse though, it's Old English. Had it been Norse, the place would've been called Odin.

Woden, Wodan, and Odin are all quite literally the same god, he just has different names in different areas, the stories are almost exactly the same and the depictions are very similar also.

There are other examples of the same gods having different names in different areas, take the Greek pantheon for example, when the Romans got their hands on the Greek gods they changed all the gods names into their Latin meanings, Zeus became Jupiter, Ares became Mars, Poseidon became Neptune, etc. etc.

The same thing happened here, when the Saxons discovered the Norse pantheon they changed all the names into their own language and Odin became Wodan and then again when the Saxons took their gods to Britain they went through another minor name change and Wodan became Woden.

So as I have just explained, Woden and Wodan = Odin.

Loudstrat

Coach
Isn't it teal?
Panthers have changed their colours almost as much as warriors.
The old Warriors jersey was great with the blue on green. I can understand the all black tying in with the more famous Bore Blacks, but again we had a black jersey. Maybe I am senistive to the issue, as I recall seeing every f*cking new club since 95 - bar the Reds and Warriors, using colours based on ours.

Still, I loved the Warriors away jumper from 11 - and their test jumper just ripped of the old Magpies jumper anyway.

Prometheus

Juniors

Woden, Wodan, and Odin are all quite literally the same god, he just has different names in different areas, the stories are almost exactly the same and the depictions are very similar also.

There are other examples of the same gods having different names in different areas, take the Greek pantheon for example, when the Romans got their hands on the Greek gods they changed all the gods names into their Latin meanings, Zeus became Jupiter, Ares became Mars, Poseidon became Neptune, etc. etc.

The same thing happened here, when the Saxons discovered the Norse pantheon they changed all the names into their own language and Odin became Wodan and then again when the Saxons took their gods to Britain they went through another minor name change and Wodan became Woden.

So as I have just explained, Woden and Wodan = Odin.

You've kind of missed SpaceMonkey's point there Dane, while also proving it at the same time. The fact that Woden is the same deity as Odin is irrelevant to whether or not it is evidence of a Canberran link to the Vikings. The use of the Saxon name links the city to the Saxons, not their sworn enemy, the Norse. You wouldn't claim that a suburb being named Jupiter is evidence of a link to Greek heritage. If that were the case it would be called Zeus. The same applies here. "Woden" is a linguistic link to the Saxons, not the Norse, or the Vikings.

Yes, black is the most ideal colour for a team named the "Panthers" but an argument can be made for brown as a secondary colour. Under certain lighting a Panther's coat has a brown sheen.

I'd love for them to scrap the teal; teal isn't a working class colour and is better suits a coastal themed team (Orcas?).

Black and brown look terrible together.

As for the teal, it is their link to history. Teal was Penrith's colour before they entered the NSWRL and they would never have used brown in the first place if they'd been able to use teal. The Sharks beat them to the mark and registered teal, black and white before changing it to sky blue, black and white. What the Panthers have done with the teal is re-introduce the colour that traditionally represents the area.

GAZF

First Grade
Black and brown look terrible together.

An opinion is fair enough, brown is a hard sell but can look great if applied properly.

As for the teal, it is their link to history. Teal was Penrith's colour before they entered the NSWRL and they would never have used brown in the first place if they'd been able to use teal. The Sharks beat them to the mark and registered teal, black and white before changing it to sky blue, black and white. What the Panthers have done with the teal is re-introduce the colour that traditionally represents the area.

Unless there is solid evidence of this being the case, of which I have not seen (though not actively looking for it), I am inclined to believe that there is some revisionist history going on. Teal's application in the 1940's/50's was restricted to more progressive products such as car exteriors, glassware, some fashion and plastics. It seems unlikely to me that it would have been used in a more (then) conservative application such as a district RL uniform. To add to that, I don't recall any other sporting outfit in the world having those colours at that point in time; the earliest I can think of would be the Miami Dolphins in 1966.

Prior to hearing this story I had only heard of Penrith wearing a light blue colour which not only clashed with Cronulla but also with Parra's blue (which MAY lend credibility to a teal-like colour). It is also worth considering that someone assumed the teal colour from an old photograph which had yellowed with age. Note the yellow (green) shift in this photo compared to a replica.

Retro_0020_Jersey_0020_1967.jpg

1967%20mirror%20team%20card%20201205260003.jpg

I'd also be wary of assuming that the Sharks were initially going to wear teal for the same reason. AS far as I know, they took their colours from the local surf club. There only appears to be a reference to the Sharks and teal on wikipedia and zero references regarding the local surf club.

On top of all of that, there are no photos, articles, anecdotes, reel-to-reels, eight tracks or mimeographs that have come to my attention that prove that either club has had a history with teal earlier than 1997.

In short, I need better sources to believe it.

Prometheus

Juniors
Unless there is solid evidence of this being the case, of which I have not seen (though not actively looking for it), I am inclined to believe that there is some revisionist history going on.

The fact that somebody hasn't stumbled across evidence while not actually looking for it really isn't enough for any reasonable person to draw a conclusion.

From the Penrith Panthers Wikipedia article-

" The inception of Teal into the colour palet of Panthers links directly back to the unique colour their 2nd division jerseys had before brown and white."

From the Sharks Wikipedia article-

"For Cronulla's maiden season in first grade a teal jersey with a white V was adopted from the Cronulla Surf Club despite Cronulla's chocolate and gold design in the Sydney 2nd Division competition. The team colours of black, white and teal changed to sky blue"

Take that as you will. But for me, scant evidence of it being true beats absolutely no evidence of it being false.

You may also want to take into account that not everybody defines colours the same way. For example, the Royal Australian Air Force considers their uniform to be midnight blue with a teal shirt, but it looks like this-

04-canberra.jpg

So light blue shades similar to sky blue have obviously been described as "teal" in the past. These days colours have much more set definitions. They have official hexadecimal codes that show exactly what they are. This wasn't the case in the past.

Last edited:

Latest posts