What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lote

Guvner

First Grade
He has never played Fullback. Its a stretch to suggest he will be worth $400k as one.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
I think we already look good. Adding Lima would make us a top 4 contender, needed to be taken seriously. I already think we have the right balance of youngsters and experienced heads now. We will definitely be a threat now.

Majority of what Lote will be paid, will be from a third party sponsor, as he is considered a marquee signing, exemptions can be made from the salary cap for him. Under the NRL rule, a club is allowed 2 marquee signings...

First Ive heard of this rule...

Can you confirm the amount of 3rd party money he will get?

AussieSmithy

Juniors
If he plays on the wing it's a massive overpayment.

Sheens has always been one to copy good ideas in strange ways. For instance, putting Moltzen at full-back to try and create another Hodgo (ball playing, small, fast man)...or manufactur props out of second rowers!!!

I think Sheens is now trying to manufacture two things. Firstly, a Jarryd Hayne...not the trick shot chips over the top, but rather the energy conserved big, fast man who can inject into a tired opp defence and punish them with regular line breaks and it damn hard to tackle. Secondly, WT are wanting their own "Big Dell". Although Lote doesn't have quite the mouth (or enormous posterior) of Sailor, he's still got plenty of media value.

But, if this means that Motlzen gets to be starting Half Back as Lote goes to the back, then that's a win for all! Well, provided Lote can adapt to watching the whole field, and not just half.

On this...

i can tell everyone categorically that i havn't signed anything with the Wests Tigers! Once again, the media has run off again speculating!
...like the rules state, he can't sign anything until after he finishes with Union. That's the same rule that stopped Benji from playing Jap Rugby in the off-season. He may just be reinforcing that. Or, I guess it could be more media crap. Guess we wait and see.

Last edited:

Guvner

First Grade
First Ive heard of this rule...

Can you confirm the amount of 3rd party money he will get?

There are still limits to how much can come from third parties. The majority of his deal cannot come from third parties. Ive never heard of a "Marquee Signing" rule. They have made some exemptions for a few players ie. Andrew Johns but thats about it. I know you can also get a discount on players returning from the ESL in the first year ie. when Jamie Lyon came back to Manly. I would be surprised if the NRL made any exemptions to get Lote back.

Last edited:
West Tigers deny Lote Tuqiri's signature is already a done deal

October 29, 2009“We absolutely refute the suggestion on Thursday that Wests Tigers have agreed to terms with Lote Tuqiri,” Humphreys said.

“As I have stated publicly before, we are in discussions with Lote Tuqiri.

“We do expect him to make his intentions clear about his playing future shortly and whilst we are hopeful of securing his services, I must re-iterate at this point in time, we have neither verbally agreed to terms nor signed any agreement.

“We have been consulting with the NRL and support their stance in not allowing players to have guest stints with rival codes. We understand the rules and will comply with them at all times.

“Should Lote decide to pursue a path other than the NRL, he would do so without any guarantee of a future position at Wests Tigers.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26276676-5018866,00.html

Looks like the Tigers are covering their arses too....

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
f**k me, this saga will never end.

Personally I'm sick of it all, I don't the scum here at all.

brooksy19

Bench
No doubt he will be at Camp Concord come March, liek previous posters have stated, they cannot have him actually sign the dotted line until after his Rugby commitments.

This had better be his last fling with RU, we had better not sign him to one year deal, play rugby in off season and then another one year deal.

jasonl

Juniors
... 30 years old, hasn't played an NRL game in 7 years, has lost a LOT of pace over the past few seasons and has never played fullback.

For 400K.

Sounds about right.

macnaz

Staff member
I wished they had of showned some confindence in Shannon Gallant and we would have had a good fullback and this lote money could have been spent on the likes of Sam Burgess.

super_coach

First Grade
Iam with others, Gallant could have had the gig for 100 grand, became a cult hero and that would have left plenty of coin to beef up the pack.

Anyway Iam not totally against Lotte, he will generate plenty of interest and latching onto a few of Benji's special passes he should see his way to the try line on a few occasions. I really wish Ellis had a twin brother and give him the bickies. Iam not going to knock the club because for once they are actually out their trying to build a strong team, maybe not my choice but Lotte will be good for us on and off the field

Tigers still sure they'll get their man

Margie McDonald | November 04, 2009

Article from: The Australian
WESTS Tigers were hardly thrilled Lote Tuqiri has opted to play rugby union before a possible return to the NRL, but the club is still confident he will be playing in its colours next season.
Confirmation came yesterday from Leicester Tigers that Tuqiri had chosen to play for the central England rugby union club.
British newspapers said the deal was short-term, allowing Tuqiri to switch back to the NRL next year.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26301629-5012431,00.html

fourplay

Juniors
Tuquiri is a waste of money. He will do no preseason training with the club and then mozy in and collect $400k while the other players and wingers like Tuiaki are on half that money and perform twice as well.

He will not be a good player anymore. The dragons didn't expect Sailor to come back playing like he did in the year 2000 and Tuquiri will come back as a similar player to what Sailor is at the dragons. I wouldn't offer him more than $100-200k max.