What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lote

I'm still thinking that its already a done deal that he has signed with us for next year... He is just keeping us guessing because of legal reasonls....

youngun

Juniors
I'm still thinking that its already a done deal that he has signed with us for next year... He is just keeping us guessing because of legal reasonls....

I agree that he has probably already agreed to terms but due to the NRL's rules they can't register a contract so therefore even if he has said he is going to sign nothing can be finalised or made legal until the NRL registers it.

innsaneink

Referee
Why couldnt he sign with us (to commence playing when his current contract expires) immediately after he signed his current deal with Leicester? I see nothing wrong with it.

I thought it was he couldnt sign with us first, and then sign with Leicester, play with them then play with us.

Since when does Schubert come in and check the books before deals are done?

scottie b

Juniors
Possibly the Tigers wanted to run past their "payment" plan with Schubert first, including any third party deals, to ascertain/confirm what would be counted under the cap.

I would rather that then find out down the track Schubert has a different view and we cop a fine.

ucantseeme

Juniors
When was the last time he played fullback in either code? If the Tigers have money to burn on an outside back there must be other options. Brett Hodgson please come home.

westie

Bench
Come on... let's be realistic. Hodgo wasn't going very well when he left. He's got form back now but he's playing the ball playing role that didn't suit us with Farah and Marshall in the side. The game isn't fast enough any more for him to be effective as a support player, especially as we're never going to be an offloading side with Sheens in charge.

DanOz

Juniors
I can never be sure if you are serious or stirring Westie because our opinions are usually at opposite ends of the spectrum - give me Hodgson any day.

westie

Bench
I can never be sure if you are serious or stirring Westie because our opinions are usually at opposite ends of the spectrum - give me Hodgson any day.

Hodgo was, in my opinion, the reason we sucked so much when he got more hands on. He simply wasn't good enough to be getting his hands on the ball so much and we were never going to provide him the opportunity to play his real style of supporting through the middle. What would he offer us these days?

Running off our regular offloaders like.... Heighington?

Getting a quick run on after a few 15 metre runs from our rampaging pack?

Playing as an extra 5/8th, taking the ball from Farah and Marshall?

We've tried this and it didn't work. In fact, it was easily one of our worst periods since Sheens took over. I'm one of Hodgo's biggest fans and even though he was one of our best players, even during that bad period, he was a key part of the attacking dynamic that saw us wasting away outside the 8.

westie

Bench
Did you miss the last few seasons? I swear I watched our attack stutter and falter with no sign of structure or cohesion.

Very good player - no longer suits our style of play under the current ruck interpretations.

DanOz

Juniors
Did you miss the last few seasons? I swear I watched our attack stutter and falter with no sign of structure or cohesion.

Very good player - no longer suits our style of play under the current ruck interpretations.

Saw every game mate - bring back Hodgo!

nyx

Juniors
From today's SMH:

LOTE'S NEW PLAN
Speculation has been rife about the plans of former Wallabies and Waratahs winger Lote Tuqiri. The mail has been strong that Tuqiri, now playing in England for Leicester, is eyeing a return to Australia to play for the Wests Tigers in the NRL. But the latest word is that he might be back sooner than most anticipate. The Herald has heard that he could be in the Tigers strip as early as round four of this year's competition.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/happy-days-mcgrath-finds-new-love-20100203-ndgd.html

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens is undecided on which position to play star recruit Lote Tuqiri, but concedes starting him on the wing would be a "common-sense approach".
The dual international has played on the flanks for the entirety of his career in both codes, but it's been speculated that the Tigers would prefer to use him as a fullback when he makes his NRL return in the early rounds of the season.
Sheens wasn't prepared to predict anything, but said a stint on the wing would seem logical as Tuqiri hasn't played league since 2002.
"That's a common-sense approach from him because you've got a new team and new play calls," Sheens told AAP.
"In our game you can play rugby or rugby league and be a finisher without a problem.
"I think if Queensland look at him at the middle of the year at State of Origin level they'll look at him as a winger, so it won't hurt him to start there, but in saying that I'm not predicting it."
The experienced premiership-winning coach said wing, fullback and centre were all possibilities for Tuqiri, who ended months of anticipation by officially signing with the Tigers on Thursday.
Part of the reason for Sheens' uncertainty is not knowing exactly when Tuqiri will be free to pull on the black, white and gold.
The Tigers aren't banking on the Fijian-born star being back for round one, believing a debut around week four is more probable.
"Obviously wing is his normal position, but fullback and centre are other options in our game for him," said Sheens.
"It depends on how we're travelling when he gets here and how quickly then he settles in. I'll be sending him information and videos and so on of us, and a lot more information now that things have been done.
"We'll just have to wait and see on the time-frame, because it could be as many as four games. You're talking about four games and then possibly his travel and his settling back in at home, getting his legs again and getting training.
"He could miss five or six games by the time he's read to play. You're not just going to fly him in on Wednesday and play him on Saturday."
One aspect of the Tigers backline that seems certain heading into the new season, is that young gun Tim Moltzen will start the year at fullback, if Tuqiri is absent.
However, Moltzen has shown plenty of promise in the No.7 jersey as a halves partner for Benji Marshall, and Sheens has made it clear he wants to settle the Central Coast junior down in one position.
The 2009 Dally M winger of the year Taniela Tuiaki is still battling a leg injury.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/6766864/sheens-hints-wing-tuqiri

DanOz

Juniors
Moltzen at fullback, Tuqiri the highest paid winger in the game = missing the finals imo.

Lote played awesome tonight......considering..and, will only get better, obviously.

Was a bit amusing reading through this thread...proved a lot of people here wrong.