What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loyal supporters

Do you think people should only support 1 team in the NRL?

• Total voters

Clock watcher

Juniors
Only support one side
But watch every game because I live and breath Rugby League
Even go to a few Bronco games every year (and I don't like them)

Tom Shines

First Grade
Jobdog said:
Most people on here actually do only go for one team, but as has been mentioned, when their team are eliminated, they jump on another. As far as I can see, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, it just means that you're still keeping an interest in the game even when your team is out. IMO there is nothing worse than trying to watch a game of sport where you aren't, in any way, shape, or form, cheering for a team.
There's an easy solution to that.

Gambling.

Dave Q

Coach
Rugby League is a great sport.

This year Ive taken an interest in lots of sides for different reasons.

But at the end of the day, you can only have one mistress.

Charlie124

First Grade
I followed the Storm in 1998 because they were the new team in the comp and it was the first year i really started watching RL (i didnt have a team at all back then), but at the end of 98 when i had made up my mind that league was the sport for me i quickly dumped them for my beloved Cowboys and havnt looked back. I guess i used the Storm as a stepping stone into the world of Rugby League, had a look around, liked what i saw and settled in with the Cowboys.

Now the Storm are one of my most hated teams. I dont know that i would even have a second team, just teams that i hate less than others.

kooriguy

Juniors
i am a panthers fan but cant bring me self to suport any other sydney team come finals time if were not in it.. dunno why just hate all the sydney teams except penrith... cowboys for shield 2007

see with me also i suport players outside my team not so much other teams... atm i support bowen and thurston... 1999 it was mundine and blacklock etc.

Navjot

Juniors
Dave Q said:
Rugby League is a great sport.

This year Ive taken an interest in lots of sides for different reasons.

But at the end of the day, you can only have one mistress.
:lol:

Alex_M

Juniors
i heard this from someone that the bulldogs started burning their jerseys after the game and started to chant 'go the storm'.

does that make them loyal?

LESStar58

Referee
I support one team: Melbourne.

However, it doesn't stop me from admiring the achievements of other teams, the way they play football or having favorite players/players I respect from outside my club.

maple_69

Bench
I can't see it as being anywhere near as exciting or fun if you support more than one team. I rarely get hugely excited about a game unlness Penrith is playing/the game affects Penrith or it is off some significance.
I also can't see following a sport being as fun if you don't hate other teams. The rivalries and build ups make up as much of the drama as the actual 80 minutes.
I think watching a team you get to know players and structures better, but watching as a bystander you'd probably get to know the rules and nuances of the game more as you'd be simply watching what is happening.

Grail said:
Further to that, I don't know how people can change allegiances. I've lived in Newcastle all my life, but supported the Eels. When the Knights came into the comp in 1988, all these novacastrians swapped to being Knights fans. I copped stick for not switching as well, but I thought "I've always been an Eels man, how can I just turn that off and support another club?" Being a supporter means being loyal IMO, not jumping ship when something else flashes by.

Agree with every word.
I met Ron Coote when I was a kid and became an Easts (my first and only club) fan from that day in spite of growing up in Cronulla. I must have some how known, even as a kid that I was destined to get out of the 'Shire'.

cronker

Juniors
LESStar58 said:
I support one team: Melbourne.

However, it doesn't stop me from admiring the achievements of other teams, the way they play football or having favorite players/players I respect from outside my club.

Exactly. I am a Storm supporter through and through. To me, it means being ecstatic when they win and devasted when they lose. I will support them no matter the outcome. When the times are hard, through injury or poor performance, you have to dust yourself off and look forward to the times when we are going well.

Part of being a supporter, for me, is enduring all the taunts and criticism from supporters of other clubs (ie: that we are cheats, would be nothing without News Ltd etc) and smiling to myself when we thump their sorry asses.

I am a member (even tho I live in Adelaide and can't get to many games) and I will stay up till 4am to watch the crappy delayed telecasts into my city. I renew my membership every year, even if we are in a slump or not going to perform well for the season. I buy merchandise like its going out of fashion. I defend my team at the pub when others are dissing them.

That said, like LESStar, I appreciate talent in any team and love just watching a great game between two good sides. There are a few teams I love to hate (yes, you Broncos) but to me, its all part of loving the game.

LESStar58

Referee
I hear you cronker.

These days I enjoy watching the Cowboys for the Thurston,Payne and Bowen combo.

Bulldogs. Even though they didn't get as far this year I still have nohing but respect for their forward pack. Best in the league by a mile.

Eels.... even though I don't like the team you can't help but stand in awe of their three-quarters and fullback. Gotta give hindmarsh his props for the work he gets through as well.

The Raiders and Broncos sides that won all those premierships between them in the 90s were marvellous to watch as well.

rabbs

Juniors
Only support one team,been with them for over 40 years, can't see me changing now.

miccle

Bench
LESStar58 said:
nohing but respect for their forward pack. Best in the league by a mile.

On paper. Myth on the field. IMO.

As for the question - one team only, but it's a different thing to "jump on" a team once yours is out in the finals.

I don't mean that as in buying merch, travelling to games, painting your face and covering your house with those colours. More like, well - I hate these teams that are left, so hopefully this one makes it over them.

Hate Melbourne and the Cows, so for some strange reason would love to see a Parra/Manly GF next weekend. Either way I won't be disappointed when/if it doesn't happen and all will be back to normal after.

lotti

Bench
pantherz9103 said:
I'm cheering for the Storm in the finals :crazy: because Penrith didn't make it! I've always had a soft spot for the storm (i was born in melbourne) and consider them my 2nd team since they came in. Plenty of people have 2nd or 3rd teams. That does not mean I support two teams equally.

I told you I am not like Cowbittoh or Lotti who go for 2 teams at once :roll:
I have my reasons for going for both Manly and Melbourne, my family(with a couple of exceptions) are huge Manly supporters and they tend to bag the non Manly supporters and I was born in Melbourne I also currently live there and I'm loyal to the Victorian club/althetes hence why on the 29th I'll be going for Geelong and unlike you I've been a Storm fan since they were announced I'm even a member of the club not to mention go to training.

Apey

Staff member
lotti said:
I have my reasons for going for both Manly and Melbourne, my family(with a couple of exceptions) are huge Manly supporters and they tend to bag the non Manly supporters and I was born in Melbourne I also currently live there and I'm loyal to the Victorian club/althetes hence why on the 29th I'll be going for Geelong and unlike you I've been a Storm fan since they were announced I'm even a member of the club not to mention go to training.

Didn't you say you supported another team in 2004 as well? :?

Latest posts