What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loyal supporters

Do you think people should only support 1 team in the NRL?

• Total voters

lotti

Bench
yeah but when they thrashed Manly in round 24 I stopped being a supporter, wasn't a very passionate supporter of them unlike Manly and Melbourne.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Befinitely a parra fan until the day I'm chatting footy to St Pete.

I do however like other clubs, and get enjoyment out of seeing then gain happiness from their eforts. especially Brisbane. I like Brisbane. A lot.

JF_Henson_Hill

Juniors
Grail said:
Further to that, I don't know how people can change allegiances. I've lived in Newcastle all my life, but supported the Eels. When the Knights came into the comp in 1988, all these novacastrians swapped to being Knights fans. I copped stick for not switching as well, but I thought "I've always been an Eels man, how can I just turn that off and support another club?" Being a supporter means being loyal IMO, not jumping ship when something else flashes by.

I have moved to Melbourne recently. Was a casual Newtown Jets fan (ie went to Henson when the Swans or Sydney Fc weren't playing) but like the fact I can watch a game of rugby league down here when I want to. Hence I got in contact with good mate Robbieando & headed off to Olympic Park.

I have been to 5 Storm games this season & am really warming to them. As an expat Sydneysider you are welcomed with open arms. I was cold one freezing night & wore my Swans scarf to keep off the chill. Nobody cared at all.A guy actually came up & talked AFL with me. So I talked about the Storm & NRL (which can be hard to do if you ain't got Fox & live in Victoria); it was a nice respectful vibe. Kinda like Swans games were in the early 90s when the people were there were real & had a real passion to try and educate people to the wherefores & whyfores of an alien code. There were other people in Essendon & St Kilda scarves etc etc; nobody cared. People are just happy you have gone to watch the Storm & rugby league. And have this fervour about them that I just find infectious.

I never thought I would land a job in Melbourne.But hell, I like sport. And feel I have a right to watch rugby league when I feel like it. Infact I see getting behind the Storm as a way of both identifying with my new place of residence whilst not forgetting where I came from.

Having the Storm around helps Victorians peel away this engrained attitude that following anything other than the AFL club you were brought up with in your family being seen as sacriligious. I think that is a good thing.

Go the Storm!

JF

Latest posts