What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loyalty

RABK

Referee
The bloke is a future Immortal and before his time is done he may have another premiership ring, he has that much fire in the belly that if we can give him a competitive team he can make it a top 4 team.

People forget they he just ain't a once every 5 year player Eg, Daley, Fittler, Lockyer etc. He is one of a kind, love him or hate him he will go down in history as the greatest League player off all time.

Johns may have another two year contract in him after this one, don't be suprised if it happens.

Swampy

Juniors
antonius I couldn't agree with you more with what you have said.Great posts. I would like to add my two bobs worth but at present haven't got the time.I've indicated along similer lines in the Steve Simpson thread.

antonius

Coach
Red and Blue Knight said:
The bloke is a future Immortal and before his time is done he may have another premiership ring, he has that much fire in the belly that if we can give him a competitive team he can make it a top 4 team.

People forget they he just ain't a once every 5 year player Eg, Daley, Fittler, Lockyer etc. He is one of a kind, love him or hate him he will go down in history as the greatest League player off all time.

Johns may have another two year contract in him after this one, don't be suprised if it happens.
I agree with all you say on his footballing prowess RABK, there's no disputing it. But I stick by my assumption that for all the plusses he has given the Knights, we have also suffered a lot of negatives, that's to be expected, but it is a fact that he is so good that without him we suffer, we have lost good players because of him and the money he commands. I believe last year was a tradgedy for the club, the way we were messed around by him and his manager, he showed absolutley no loyalty to the club, and publically stated that his next contract was for HIM! I'd suggest all his contracts have been for him. Theclub have invested a lot of money in him and the past three years like it or not he has not been value for money, he could have shown some loyalty last year, he knew more than anyone what his contract was doing in regards to other players being retained (Last year and previous years) he could have said to himself "I'll do the right thing and take a little less to compensate for the money I've recieved the last two years, he didn't do that, and compounded it by keeping everyone (Team mates included) in the dark, There's no loyalty in that, and really that's what this thread alludes to. Again I agree he will go down as one of the greatest, he will no doubt be an immortal, and he deserves all that, but it has come at a cost to this club. As for the Two more years thing, I really don't think so, and to be honest I don't think we can afford him for two more years. Joey IMO will move into the media at the end of this contract. Todays signing of Flegg half Walsh to a Two year deal is an indication the club thinks so to. We simply wont be able to afford Joey and Buderus and build a competetive team around them, I will bet there's a clause in Dannys contract that gives him an upgrade when Johns two year deal is up, and that's why he re-signed for less initially.

ironcross

Juniors
I think you should be blaming the Knights management, rather then Andrew Johns for the current form. Like a business, if you have good management, then you will have money. Quiet simply, they are paying some of the other players (who are hopeless) way too much money. They did nothing in the buying market last year.

Most big players like Johns get that sort of money. I don't think it's unreasonable to pay $500k for the best player in the world.

RABK

Referee
ironcross said:
I think you should be blaming the Knights management, rather then Andrew Johns for the current form. Like a business, if you have good management, then you will have money. Quiet simply, they are paying some of the other players (who are hopeless) way too much money. They did nothing in the buying market last year.

Most big players like Johns get that sort of money. I don't think it's unreasonable to pay $500k for the best player in the world.

I agree, if we were managed properly Johns probally would have signed before june 30 and would never have been a free agent.

If Johns went to Brisbane in 2001 i guarantee you that they would have won about 3 premierships of the back of him. We would have won more premierships if wearn't run liek a chook raffle.

I still htink Johns has alot of fire in his belly, he's just so damn competitive. I think 2008 will be his swan song, yes he will turn 34 but the man is like langer, lyons, stuart....born to play league and compete.

I think we might be able to get another premiership before his time is done.

antonius

Coach
You are both missing my point. The thread is about loyalty, not why we are going so badly, or the management. IMO Johns has shown no loyalty to this club, especially last year. On one hand we have people on these boards screaming about Simpsons lack of loyalty, Tahus lack of loyalty, Abraham should show some Loyalty because he hasn't played much in two years, Kennedy the list goes on. But in the next breath you guys are saying it's fine for Johns to take $600,000 plus out of the club for the past three years, for a handfull of games, and doesn't need to show any of it. The guys aformentioned have all shown it in their last contract negotiations, Johns didn't. He played us off against union, to screw as much as he could out of us, good luck to him, but don't condone his actions, then rubish other players for taking the same stance. Again this has nothing to do with his footballing skills, it's all about the man and his ethics if you like. As for the excuse that management were to blame for the way they handled it, yes you are correct they should've made an offer, with a take it or leave it message there, they were weak. Again we will not have the money in 2007, and 2008 to re-sign him, because Buderus upgrades will kick in then, that's fact. there will be very little left for any others if we tried to keep him post 2006.

Antonius,

You don't like Johns, I get it. I can always count on you to introduce an anti-Johns sentiment to every ostensibly serious discussion about the club.

You're fond of ethics when talking about Johns because there's nothing else you can attack him on. Let's face it, fans as most of us here are, have no ground to judge players other than their footballing skills. Any knowledge from things happening off the field are hearsay at best, slanderous rumour at worst. If the club who negotiated with Johns did not feel hard done by, if the players who as a result sought employment elsewhere still held Johns in the highest regard (Kennedy, an obvious case in point), if fans like me breathe a little easier because Johns is still steering the ship at Newcastle despite an often professed and (I believe) sincere desire to square off with the best in Rugby, isn't it time you got over it too?!

Swampy

Juniors
Hunter of the SNARK head in the sand stuff.Tell me how Johns "steering" has benifitted the club so far this season.If there has been any benifit it is obvious it is something other then on field results.Please enlighten me.And don't push the B/S sponsership line argument.If that was the case the club would have secured sponsership deals a lot earlier.Another premiership please.Knight, great you believe he is the best player in the world.But worth every cent to who?Himself or the club?Again how has all the money the club has spent on retaining Johns been of benifit to the club.Come on Johns looked after number one and no one else just as antonius has tried to explained but some have missed that point.Well if players need to show loyalty they should look no further then just following the example set by Johns himself .There is loyalty if the $$$$$$ are right.

antonius

Coach
Hunter of the SNARK said:
Antonius,

You don't like Johns, I get it. I can always count on you to introduce an anti-Johns sentiment to every ostensibly serious discussion about the club.

You're fond of ethics when talking about Johns because there's nothing else you can attack him on. Let's face it, fans as most of us here are, have no ground to judge players other than their footballing skills. Any knowledge from things happening off the field are hearsay at best, slanderous rumour at worst. If the club who negotiated with Johns did not feel hard done by, if the players who as a result sought employment elsewhere still held Johns in the highest regard (Kennedy, an obvious case in point), if fans like me breathe a little easier because Johns is still steering the ship at Newcastle despite an often professed and (I believe) sincere desire to square off with the best in Rugby, isn't it time you got over it too?!
Tell where in this thread I have have made any Slanderous remarks about Johns? Your the one raising that issue. Tell me where in this thread I have questioned his footballing ability? The answer is nowhere, on the contary I have agreed with all that's said re his status as one of the great players of all time. The thread is about loyalty, and for mine Johns has shown none of it. As for the club not feeling hard done by, even Conway has stated since that the contract last year could have been handled better. Anyway you read what you like into it, no skin off my nose, as for steering the ship, well at the moment the rudders fallen off, but if that makes you breathe easier then so be it.

Swampy said:
Hunter of the SNARK head in the sand stuff.Tell me how Johns "steering" has benifitted the club so far this season.If there has been any benifit it is obvious it is something other then on field results.Please enlighten me.And don't push the B/S sponsership line argument.If that was the case the club would have secured sponsership deals a lot earlier.Another premiership please.Knight, great you believe he is the best player in the world.But worth every cent to who?Himself or the club?Again how has all the money the club has spent on retaining Johns been of benifit to the club.Come on Johns looked after number one and no one else just as antonius has tried to explained but some have missed that point.Well if players need to show loyalty they should look no further then just following the example set by Johns himself .There is loyalty if the $$$$$$ are right.

I think Johns is worth the $500,000 a season IF Anasta is worth $700,000 Johns is worth close to $1M. I just dont agree with how Johns got his $1M in total by getting $500k from the NRL and $500k from the Knights case of the valuable month he drew the process out by - hence causing us to swap BK for Reynoldson and lose Tahu. A GOOD centre would have been in handy this Season

Tahu at Centre is bloody mediocre he just doesnt have the size and strength to bust tackles, and he may be quick but in the middle of the ground you cant run around people like he used to on the wings, plus he doesnt have the unstoppable combo he did with Matty.

Parra must be pissed at him I reckon cause his amounted to nothing and was one of their marque signings and no doubt there was a clause that meant he only could play centre so they cant shift him to the wing....

Johns Magic

Referee
Knight82 said:
Tahu at Centre is bloody mediocre he just doesnt have the size and strength to bust tackles

He's 6 foot 2 and 98kg. He has the size and strength he has speed too.

Latest posts