What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU Panthers Forum Player of the Year 2020

MugaB

Coach
Crichton looked sharp but the blokes getting 7 & 8’s + for putting the ball down & looking decent for 10 mins against a tiring defence we were on top of, while also making an error that turned over possession early in the count when we were setting up for a field goal. That’s my only criticism with people’s ratings.
Agreed, he was great for his 15mins of fame, but like said earlier, rorters were operating at 50% by the 60mins onwards, hence why Crichton could bolt around everyone like he did.
I gave him a 6, and if he played 80mins at that intensity all game probably could have got an 8, but still early days, and most of the hard work in defense and wearing out the opposition had been done by the team, which opened the game for his and everyone else's speed to burn the chooks.
Mansour was poor other than that lucky kick, his kick returns weren't getting strong meters, but were acceptable nonetheless, but compared to To'o's which he thought he was a front row fwd.... amazing!!!
Aekins did good, very reliable, we still win, even if he plays 80mins, lacks flair, but dependable in a demanding position, even Laterell had 55mins on his match, very proud of Aekins, he'll be special in a few more weeks, again need to see more from Mansour, or ive gotta say Naden will be on the wing, with Crichton in at centre

snickers007

Juniors
I gave Tetevano a 4. Really wasn't impressed.

Yep, very ordinary game. He's a good enough player that he'll get another shot (especially with the Hethro suspension) but he will need to pick up his act. Once Hethro, Leniu and Capewell are back on board we should be seeing some serious competition in the pack.

Hell, even Ellis could outperform Tetevano this weekend and make a claim.

Great problem to have really - as long as we're seeing the fruits at NRL level - rather than having guys killing it at NSW Cup level, and then shitting the bed in first grade.

betcats

Referee
That kicked look like it was coming down on Teddys head but it just kept going well past him, I know he slipped but he wasn't stopping that, realy good kick. Nathans kicking had some nice variety between attacking kicks and kicking for field position.

Fangs

Coach
The 40/20 was impressive, though if I'm honest I think he should be doing it 5-6 times a season. He has a good long kicking game and its an area I think he can excel at. No reason why he can't be doing it as much as the best.

For me more impressive was his work on the Crichton try. Great sleight of hand with Kikau as the decoy. Usually I can see Cleary's hand long before he plays it but even I fell for it. Great stuff.

The bad was his attempted drop goal. Should have just taken the tackle instead of the chance of giving away a 7 tackle set. It was a low percentage play considering the angle he ended up shooting at.

Its not as easy anymore as the other gift kickers (Moylan/Maloney) are gone. Its obvious which way we are throwing the ball. Luai is a left footer which helps but I've never seen him take a shot. First time in a very long time that Penrith aren't a sure thing with field goals. Since the Soward/Moylan combo we have been blessed with choices. Short ball to Luai, long pass out the back to Cleary would be the training play.

betcats

Referee
In hindsight he would of been better off not taking a shot but that was well within his range, he hit that tigers one last year from 40 out on an angle.

Fangs

Coach
In hindsight he would of been better off not taking a shot but that was well within his range, he hit that tigers one last year from 40 out on an angle.

No question that he could kick it. Despite his drawbacks he is a more than safe option in field goal situations.

Goal kicking the same. They mentioned in the broadcast he had fewer kicks from the sideline in 2019 however when you watch him set up for a kick you don't feel any doubt at all. Every time I just believe its going over.

John Hamblin

Juniors
Yep, very ordinary game. He's a good enough player that he'll get another shot (especially with the Hethro suspension) but he will need to pick up his act. Once Hethro, Leniu and Capewell are back on board we should be seeing some serious competition in the pack.

Hell, even Ellis could outperform Tetevano this weekend and make a claim.

Great problem to have really - as long as we're seeing the fruits at NRL level - rather than having guys killing it at NSW Cup level, and then shitting the bed in first grade.

Tetevano but injured early in the game. So on past performances he deserves the benefit of any doubt

Kilkenny

Coach
Aekins 6
Mansour 7
Naden 6
Whare 6
To’o 6
Laui 7
Cleary 8
Tamou 7
Koroisau 9
Tetevano 4
JFH 8
Martin 5
Yeo 8

Leota 6
Hetherington 6
Kikau 6
Chrichton 6

mxlegend99

Referee
No question that he could kick it. Despite his drawbacks he is a more than safe option in field goal situations.

Goal kicking the same. They mentioned in the broadcast he had fewer kicks from the sideline in 2019 however when you watch him set up for a kick you don't feel any doubt at all. Every time I just believe its going over.
Mansour scoring 1 try all season when the average winger has 10+ would be the main reason he had fewer sideline kicks than anyone else.

I would back him to kick from left sideline nearly everytime. Right one would be his most difficult and most of his sideline kicks were from the right.

I am always confident of his boot. No one is perfect and all players have an off night. But on his rare misses you're almost certain it won't happen again that night

betcats

Referee
Yeah Nathan’s misses from left of the posts are very rare.

Vossy said something like 14 sideline attempts for him last season with the most having around 40 sideline attempts, which is a big difference but as others have eluded to you never really feel like he is going to miss. He and Jimmy kick at similar percentages and yet I still always more confident with Nath lining them up.

betcats

Referee
Tetevano but injured early in the game. So on past performances he deserves the benefit of any doubt

Yeah he was limping heavily stuck in back play in the fourth minute before we’d even been in possession, I wouldn’t judge him on what he served up in this game.

Pomoz

Bench
Aekins 6
Mansour 6
Naden 6
Whare 6
To’o 7
Laui 6
Cleary 8
Tamou 7
Koroisau 9
Tetevano 5
JFH 8
Martin 5
Yeo 8

Leota 6
Hetherington 6
Kikau 6
Chrichton 6

A couple of points:
  • Aggressive and tough start. If we can keep this up we are a chance of the eight;
  • Attack still clunky, but much better than last years "Give it to Big K' routine. Passing at the line and centres getting the ball, who'd a thought?;
  • Aekins was very good under an onslaught of kicks and tough defence. Crichton had a much easier job at the back;
  • We need Hethrington and Martin to be our bruise brothers. JFH and Tamou, whilst good don't, have that intimidation factor in them. Hethrington sparked up our defence when he came on, a good player;
  • Sauce's position must be in jeopardy after the way Crichton played. Caution. Its a long season though and its tough on newbies in their first full year.

TheFrog

Coach
Average Ratings Round 1 (Roosters)
16 people posted ratings!!

Aekins 6.0
Mansour 6.6
Whare 5.8
Naden 6.2
To'o 7.0
Cleary 8.1
Tamou 7.1
Koroisau 8.9
Tetevano 4.4
Yeo 8.6
Martin 5.2
Fisher-Harris 7.5
Crichton 6.8
Kikau 6.8
Leota 5.8
Hetherington 5.1

OldPanther

Coach
Average Ratings Round 1 (Roosters)
16 people posted ratings!!

Aekins 6.0
Mansour 6.6
Whare 5.8
Naden 6.2
To'o 7.0
Cleary 8.1
Tamou 7.1
Koroisau 8.9
Tetevano 4.4
Yeo 8.6
Martin 5.2
Fisher-Harris 7.5
Crichton 6.8
Kikau 6.8
Leota 5.8
Hetherington 5.1

Being your system do you have room for changing a rating on rewatch or will that confuse things too much? Happy with whatever your rules are just curious.

TheFrog

Coach
Being your system do you have room for changing a rating on rewatch or will that confuse things too much? Happy with whatever your rules are just curious.
What one do you want to change? It probably won't make much difference anyway with the numbers rating.

OldPanther

Coach
What one do you want to change? It probably won't make much difference anyway with the numbers rating.

Not this week just getting in between rounds. Sometimes a rewatch later in the week changes perspective. For example I think I rated both Yeo and Hetherington a little low so seeing what your policy on doing it future weeks.

TheFrog

Coach
Not this week just getting in between rounds. Sometimes a rewatch later in the week changes perspective. For example I think I rated both Yeo and Hetherington a little low so seeing what your policy on doing it future weeks.
It's open until a few hours before kickoff in the following match. I think that's pretty fair. If you have them overlapping it can get very confusing.