What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luai the tigepie.

Nutz

Bench
But don't many football heads say because of the left/right side of the field play these days, it doesn't matter until the 7 has to pass to the 6 ? Hasn't it also been said by many that he, Luai, was a 7 until Cleary took that spot?

Looking at the 2015 NYC grand final team for the Panthers,

1. Brent Naden 2. Fuimanu Enise 3. Robert Jennings 4. Maliko Filino 5. Dylan Edwards 6. Tyrone May 7. Jarome Luai 8. Oliver Clark 9. Soni Luke 10. Moses Leota 11. James Fisher-Harris 12. Corey Harawira 13. Reed Izzard.

Not going to search his playing position prior to his NRL debut though.
I agree with your post OTT.
THE 6&7 play similar roles especially when the ball direction changes. The 7 usually aims up at the crucial 5 tackle though.
Luai has played half as you said.
Can I warn you OTT, talking about footy sensibly is not on these days apparently, it's more like an episode of Days of Our Lives or Jerry Springer.

Nutz

Bench
Luai is a winner, I reckon he will be worth every cent he gets from you lot. Not everyone is worth the same to every organisation. Tigers is a much better match than the Dogs, I really hope he kills it for you guys.
We had to do something Soc.
For years now we have struggled when we got into the attacking red zone. I blame the board for allowing this to keep going on and on.....
Api, Luai, Sullivan, Bula looks so much better than Brooks/Wakeman.
All of a sudden we have a spine. We should be better than the spoon. As you know, we were one of the few that beat the panthers and put 60+ on the cowboys.
We just lacked consistency and effort and had too many weak spots in the roster and paid for it.

soc123_au

Staff member
We had to do something Soc.
For years now we have struggled when we got into the attacking red zone. I blame the board for allowing this to keep going on and on.....
Api, Luai, Sullivan, Bula looks so much better than Brooks/Wakeman.
All of a sudden we have a spine. We should be better than the spoon. As you know, we were one of the few that beat the panthers and put 60+ on the cowboys.
We just lacked consistency and effort and had too many weak spots in the roster and paid for it.
Couldn't agree more. We had a few years like that, no problem finding the opposition 20, but no idea what to do once there. The jury is still out on Jerome's game management abilities, but mostly because thats never been his job. As much as I would have loved him to stay, I'm really looking forward to seeing how he goes in his new role.

I'm also pretty curious to find out if I start noticing why everyone reckons he's a merkin when he isn't wearing our jersey. Because up to now I still dont get why he gets the shit he does.

Nutz

Bench
Couldn't agree more. We had a few years like that, no problem finding the opposition 20, but no idea what to do once there. The jury is still out on Jerome's game management abilities, but mostly because thats never been his job. As much as I would have loved him to stay, I'm really looking forward to seeing how he goes in his new role.

I'm also pretty curious to find out if I start noticing why everyone reckons he's a merkin when he isn't wearing our jersey. Because up to now I still dont get why he gets the shit he does.
Agree.
Benny Elias was one of the best hookers of his era and is a clown behind the microphone and is judged because of this. Some people I know who also know Benny says he's an intelligent and awesome dude.
Every successful sportsperson needs a minder/manager to keep them from getting hurt both physically but more often than not by the media.

General Stripes

Juniors
Agree.
Benny Elias was one of the best hookers of his era and is a clown behind the microphone and is judged because of this. Some people I know who also know Benny says he's an intelligent and awesome dude.
Every successful sportsperson needs a minder/manager to keep them from getting hurt both physically but more often than not by the media.
Benny would have been slaughtered by social media if it existed when he played.
Don’t get me wrong I’m still furious over how he screwed up Balmain Leagues and pushing Moses away but…..

Tigerm

Coach
Agree.
And the cockroach has joined this exclusive club, imo.

I hope he has a great year, ill cheer him on in the finals. Him coming here off the back of continued success will only be a good thing for us.
Surely you’ll have your Tiger supporter’s privileges removed if you admit to cheering for us, regardless of the motivations?

edit: spelling

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Surely you’ll have your Tiger supporter’s privileges removed if you admit to cheering for us, regardless of the motivations?

edit: spelling

I felt most tigers fans got over their panther dislike after the win at Leichhardt where we got to give it to Ivan in person, was the closure we needed. Apart from a few Ballbag fans who feel the need to flood our forum I have zero nothing against them and admire what the organization has done. I was happy for Garner this year, Momers when he won and hope Daine goes well next year.

Nutz

Bench
Benny would have been slaughtered by social media if it existed when he played.
Don’t get me wrong I’m still furious over how he screwed up Balmain Leagues and pushing Moses away but…..
Well he could have owed the joint....then what.
Benny just can't think then talk, it's always the other way around.

I felt most tigers fans got over their panther dislike after the win at Leichhardt where we got to give it to Ivan in person, was the closure we needed. Apart from a few Ballbag fans who feel the need to flood our forum I have zero nothing against them and admire what the organization has done. I was happy for Garner this year, Momers when he won and hope Daine goes well next year.

Garner did nothing but praise us when he left, especially us fans.

That’s how you leave a club.

Momo moaned on about his release.

That said, he gave us Harry and seemed to me, only fully operational under Ivan.
I recall those 2 chip and chase tries from the wing in the one game. Devastating, superb footy. Ivan understood his game like no one else.

It’s funny how some players thrive under certain coaches.

All those ex smuggy bulldogs, all of them have struggled since leaving.

I’ve gone on the record as saying that Burton was about the best young footballer I’ve ever seen. Now he’s a just a shell or ghost of his former self. It’s tragic. I blame ciraldo, he’s ‘ken killed his game. He will never get it back.

All things considered, I still think Harry would have had a better career experience with us.

Cheese hasn’t taken to the Roosters. He left the storm under a cloud too. Doing his talcum powder, a piece of…

Last edited:

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Agree.
Benny has repeatedly tried to kill your club since retirement. merkin of a human

General Stripes

Juniors
Benny has repeatedly tried to kill your club since retirement. merkin of a human
Kill? No.
He has tried, unsuccessfully, to
- Rebuild Balmain Leagues, f**ked it up.
- Buy Wests Tigers with, in my opinion as he does bring it up often, a view to moving them to really Wests in Perth.
- Pushed Moses out the door and kept him out.

But to be fair he was part of the group who ended up getting Pascoe and Lee fired so, you know, there’s a plus

The bits I saw of the press release, he handled it pretty well and I thought beneath his footy player veneer, he seemed quite measured.

He spoke at length about Benji and his association with him in different respects.

He said words to the effect that he “ wants to be coached by Benji”

The alternative to Benji is of course more Ivan.

I was just wondering if the emphasis on Benji was a smack in the chops for Ivan?