What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luai

The other side of this is the other guys we have off-contract. Hosking, Garner, Turuva, May, Kenny & Sommerton. All guys I think are in our best 17 next year. If Luai signs, I can't imagine we can afford many of those guys, or anyone on more than minimum for those roles in 2025. Which is fine, we have Hassett, Geyer, McLean, Cole, Alamoti who might be ready by then alongside some bargain pick ups, but if we do miss on Luai, it could well just be 1 out for 2025 that we have to replace.
I'm leaving myself open here, I wish Luai would leave. I'm over the protracted saga.

soc123_au

Staff member
I'm leaving myself open here, I wish Luai would leave. I'm over the protracted saga.
Weird take, he is entitled to make potentially life changing decisions in his own time.

The Critta negotiations a few years ago I get people being annoyed with that scenario, agreeing to terms then back pedaling, but Luai has done nothing wrong here. It's been 14 hours since he has been able to see what is officially out there. People take longer than that on choosing a pair of shoes.

Nothing has been protracted its November 1

I'm just over it.

I don't believe it's been a 'protracted' saga. Bizza, Martin both did the same. The bloke is entitled to test the market.
Did I say he wasn't? No I did not.

Weird take, he is entitled to make potentially life changing decisions in his own time.

The Critta negotiations a few years ago I get people being annoyed with that scenario, agreeing to terms then back pedaling, but Luai has done nothing wrong here. It's been 14 hours since he has been able to see what is officially out there. People take longer than that on choosing a pair of shoes.
You're entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.

Sime_11

Juniors
you keep chasing Luai hard IMO - keep the 1,6,7 spine settled and Kenny to keep the spine going forward (unless Sommerton or Luke kicked on majorly to dethrone Mitch)

with respect to the other guys - they are all replaceable players

having a premiership winning spine locked up - we are able to get guys to Penrith - there's numerous examples occurring each year of fringe guys coming to us and getting a good contract afterwards either here or at another club.

'Could he do it?': Ivan Cleary puts 'question mark' on top dollar offers for Jarome Luai

By Chris De Silva

Penrith Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has questioned whether star five-eighth Jarome Luai could lead his own team as the club faces a fight to retain him.

Luai, who comes out of contract at the end of 2024, is able to negotiate with rival clubs and is expected to command a deal in the ballpark of $1 million per season from Penrith's rivals.

Money like that is usually reserved for game managing halfbacks and uniquely talented fullbacks around the NRL, and Cleary warned teams who may be considering breaking the bank for Luai.

"I think that's the biggest thing at play here," he said when discussing whether Luai could be worth the money for Penrith's rivals.

"If any club wants to give him the money you're talking – the money that he would maybe consider leaving for – it would have to be for that kind of role. I can understand that. Is he ready for that? That's the question mark, I would think.

"Could he do it? I'm sure he could do it. Has he done it? No he hasn't. He's done a little bit with Samoa, of course, at last year's World Cup, but generally speaking in this team he's had his role to play and it's slightly different. I guess that's a risk that everyone would have to take."

While his starting five-eighth is currently able to talk to the NRL's other 16 clubs, Cleary said Penrith was "comfortable" with the situation.

"We've spoken recently and he's exploring his options," he said.

"He's one of those players where it's not a clear market because everyone is always looking for high-quality halves and he's definitely one of those. It's a matter of him now getting what's out there, checking it out and coming back to us.

"I won't be telling him to do anything. He knows what we think of him. I personally believe he belongs here. We're good for him and he's good for us. But there's no doubt if the offers are where we are hearing ... before today they're all just maybes. Once they're actually concrete he can understand more about what decision needs to be made."

Cleary was questioned over whether Luai would be determined to prove that he, like Panthers skipper Nathan Cleary, could lead his own team.

"I think that's high performance," he said.

"You have to take risks and you're always trying to improve. I don't know the answer to that. I know he has a very strong and influential role here, which he's good at. We'd like him to continue.

"We've made it pretty clear what we can afford. There's always things you can do and maybe you can't do. I want to make it really clear that we want him to stay. And I'm pretty sure he wants to stay as well. But yeah, money talks, so we'll see."

Source: wwos.nine.com.au

Chins get the wins

First Grade
'Could he do it?': Ivan Cleary puts 'question mark' on top dollar offers for Jarome Luai

By Chris De Silva

Penrith Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has questioned whether star five-eighth Jarome Luai could lead his own team as the club faces a fight to retain him.

Luai, who comes out of contract at the end of 2024, is able to negotiate with rival clubs and is expected to command a deal in the ballpark of $1 million per season from Penrith's rivals.

Money like that is usually reserved for game managing halfbacks and uniquely talented fullbacks around the NRL, and Cleary warned teams who may be considering breaking the bank for Luai.

"I think that's the biggest thing at play here," he said when discussing whether Luai could be worth the money for Penrith's rivals.

"If any club wants to give him the money you're talking – the money that he would maybe consider leaving for – it would have to be for that kind of role. I can understand that. Is he ready for that? That's the question mark, I would think.

"Could he do it? I'm sure he could do it. Has he done it? No he hasn't. He's done a little bit with Samoa, of course, at last year's World Cup, but generally speaking in this team he's had his role to play and it's slightly different. I guess that's a risk that everyone would have to take."

While his starting five-eighth is currently able to talk to the NRL's other 16 clubs, Cleary said Penrith was "comfortable" with the situation.

"We've spoken recently and he's exploring his options," he said.

"He's one of those players where it's not a clear market because everyone is always looking for high-quality halves and he's definitely one of those. It's a matter of him now getting what's out there, checking it out and coming back to us.

"I won't be telling him to do anything. He knows what we think of him. I personally believe he belongs here. We're good for him and he's good for us. But there's no doubt if the offers are where we are hearing ... before today they're all just maybes. Once they're actually concrete he can understand more about what decision needs to be made."

Cleary was questioned over whether Luai would be determined to prove that he, like Panthers skipper Nathan Cleary, could lead his own team.

"I think that's high performance," he said.

"You have to take risks and you're always trying to improve. I don't know the answer to that. I know he has a very strong and influential role here, which he's good at. We'd like him to continue.

"We've made it pretty clear what we can afford. There's always things you can do and maybe you can't do. I want to make it really clear that we want him to stay. And I'm pretty sure he wants to stay as well. But yeah, money talks, so we'll see."

Source: wwos.nine.com.au
It's not bad but a few dumb comments from Ivan there. To a pro athlete like Jerome that would definitely get his back up. I'd personally be thinking "f**k you Ivan I'll prove you wrong"

ACTPanthers

Bench
It's not bad but a few dumb comments from Ivan there. To a pro athlete like Jerome that would definitely get his back up. I'd personally be thinking "f**k you Ivan I'll prove you wrong"
Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing - He did sort of save face by saying he probably could do it, but he hasn't really had to yet.

I can only think it was taken out of context as I'm sure IC wouldn't throw a player under the bus like that.

Wizardman

First Grade
Ivan strikes me a a guy who would think about his thoughts and intentions clearly before airing them in public. I don't think he would be horrified if Luai left going by what he said. In saying that, if he was offered 800k to stay at a set-up like Penrith, he should take the money and stay. I agree with Ivan's sentiment that he could well struggle at a new set up.

This Year?

Immortal
I reckon Luai would go well at the Tigers. He'd have Api to work with and have some young forwards and backs to give direction to. Could absolutely be a net positive for him and the club.
At the Dragons I could see it falling apart just how it is now with Hunt.

Iamback

Coach
Ivan spoke the truth.

Is there anyone here that is buying Luai to direct a team around the park?

Especially paying over $1m to do so?

Iamback

Coach
Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing - He did sort of save face by saying he probably could do it, but he hasn't really had to yet.

I can only think it was taken out of context as I'm sure IC wouldn't throw a player under the bus like that.

I think Ivan was more doubting whether a club would pay crazy money for him

Fangs

Coach
It's over. We can't have Luai here having his f**k you attitude directed at Ivan and staff

Trivial comment and a petty reaction. No different to how he usually operates on his socials.

I don't think he is going to change the course of his life just on that. Far more important things to think about when he signs his next deal.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Trivial comment and a petty reaction. No different to how he usually operates on his socials.

I don't think he is going to change the course of his life just on that. Far more important things to think about when he signs his next deal.
Luai runs off negative energy but it can't be good for the side if it's coming from Ivan.
This isn't an emotional response from me I'm thinking practically

Iamback

Coach

Ivan said he thinks he can do that role but rightfully said there is doubt

Latest posts